Ruger Ranch rifle 7.62x39 question...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I wouldn't give this much consideration for a couple of reasons:
1: AFAIK, all factory ammo uses .311 bullets. .311 bullets are readily available.
2: Comparing .308 vs .311 bores for accuracy with either/both diameter bullets has been inconclusive for me.

I have an AR with .308 bore and another with .311 bore. I was fortunate to obtain a large supply of Remington bullets with a measured diameter of .3095". Using .308, .3095, .311-312 bullets has not shown any real difference in accuracy in either bore diameter. What is a bigger deal is getting proper neck tension when loading .308" bullets using common loading dies. This requires several more steps in the loading process.

DGW1949

Hunter
Mobuck purty-much nailed it; Not all so-called ".308" bullets actually measure .308", and not all ".311" bullets measure .311". Point there being that what seems to be worrying you about the purchase could very well turn out to be akin to 'picking knat-yugo out of pepper'...Another thing to consider when it comes to the Mini-30 is "which era?", meaning that it's not a big secret that the newer renditions are far better shooters than the old-school "pencil barrel" versions...And that generally speaking, the blued Mini's are most often better shooters than the stainless models...Speaking to my own experiences with over a dozen Mini-30's, the best one I worked with was a blued model that would keep most of it's shots inside a 3" circle at 200 Yds...but...It had been match conditioned and was using the best match grade ammunition that I could assemble... .308 125 BT Sierra bullets, Lapura brass, IMR 4227, Federal Match primers. No idea what exact size it's bore was, didn't matter, didn't care.

Hope this helps.

DGW

mac66

Single-Sixer
Just an FYI, I have a 80's era Mini 30 with Tech Sights on it. As much as I like it it's probably a 4 or 5 MOA rifle at least with iron sights. I've killed a couple deer with it out to 100 yards using a scope just because I could to get meat during the early doe season or after I get my buck but generally use more accurate rifles for hunting.

Last summer I took it up to my hunting property along with a couple other rifles including a Saiga Sporter. Shot off the bench at 25 yards. The 30 has a 20" bbl, the Saiga has a 16" bbl. Ammo was steel cased, 154gr soft point Russian.

The below pic is the 30. The dark part of the silhouette in the pic is 3" wide by 2.5" tall. The 30 did about an I.25" group after I sighted it in. The top 5 shots were sight ins. The bottom 10 shots were a group. I shot 5 shots but it was so much fun I shot another 5. I really should put the scope back on it but it does make a handy ranch/farm rifle. I just like having it.

The Saiga Sporter using the crappy iron sights shot about 1/2" groups. 10 shot group. If it wasn't so darn ugly I'd probably carry it on my tractor instead of the 30. And... I like conventional looking rifles so haven't converted the Saiga into a AK pistol grip typle.

Last edited:

Latest posts