Ruger PC9 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RIDGEZ28

Bearcat
Hello All,
I am looking at buying a PC9 and would like to know if the pistol grip stock has an opening in the base of the grip. I would have thought it would be plugged. Thanks

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Probably weight control. The stock is very dense and heavy as it is; molding that hollow would help a little.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger found that die injecting such large stocks out of the Zytel material would create voids in the final product. This is the reason Ruger made the boat paddle M77 and 77/22 stocks the way they did. Through the years somebody figured out how to add those voids to the mold, so then Ruger came out with their normal butt stock design.
And yes, the voids do also reduce weight.
Chet15

RIDGEZ28

Bearcat
Ok folks, thanks for the info. I thought something was missing. Anybody got a feel for what a NIB is worth these days?

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Best bet is to check the auction sites for completed sales. I haven't looked in months but IIRC the PC9s were selling in the 600s.

Rat76

Single-Sixer
My PC4 has an opening. My PC9 has the same opening plugged. I asked CoffeePot & found that the plugged grip was done by a previous owner. It was NOT done at the factory.

The plugging was done with a black rubber like material. Very similar in feel to the rest of the stock.

pc22.jpg

But if one plugged the hole where would one stash the Twinkie??

:wink: