Ruger MK IV

Help Support Ruger Forum:

joecrab

Bearcat
What is the latest word on the MK,IV? I have an itch for one, but I would rather wait until they have got the bugs out of it.

Well, it's been out now for 6-7 years so whatever bugs it has they're probably staying. Sometime in the spring of 2018 there was a recall on the Mark IV for a safety selector issue.

I finally broke down and bought one, a stainless Target model. Nice pistol, on the heavy side though. Other than the push button takedown, nothing extra ordinary in my opinion.

I still prefer my Standards and the Mark I, IIs over the Mark IV. ;)

joecrab

Bearcat
I have owned several over the years, and found them to be serviceable and accurate guns but the disassembly required for cleaning killed it for me. I think I wand one of the shorter barreled ones for casual shooting and a gun to carry when mowing some of our 'back 40' property. I hate running over stuff with a mower and not killing it, just cutting the yugo out of it. I like to be able to put it out of it's misery.

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I bought my first in 2018 and have put about 35,000 rounds through it. It took about 300 rounds of Mini Mags to break it in but it's been flawless since that. The only problem was when they first came out. The safety was recalled and there was a problem with the firing pin. Both problems have been rectified.

joecrab

Bearcat
I bought my first in 2018 and have put about 35,000 rounds through it. It took about 300 rounds of Mini Mags to break it in but it's been flawless since that. The only problem was when they first came out. The safety was recalled and there was a problem with the firing pin. Both problems have been rectified.
Thanks, I am gonna order one today.

NDAR15MAN

Bearcat
I have been looking for a SS hunter model for 6 months for a in person buy. Have not seen but one or 2 on GB. None in person in the
State of Iowa.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Im happy with my MK4. I did have wondering roll pin issue with it. Some blue loc-tite fixed it. Pic is from my LGS.
1661354008440.png

mjh

Single-Sixer
Sold my MKIII to purchase an SP 101 in .22lr. Then somewhere along the line I picked up a GP100 in .22lr. I like both revolvers just fine and the SP makes a nice field piece while grouse hunting. But I always wanted to get back to a MK pistol. So the GP was sold and a MK IV Hunter, blued with 5.5 barrel was purchased. Would a 5.5 barrel in stainless been a little bit more nice, likely. But I'll be happy for a long time with the one I've got. Only one range trip thus far. 250 rounds. Had some failure to ejects but the gun did not have a through cleaning before range trip, just a few swabs of the barrel and a look over. Now it's properly clean and ready for the next range trip. I went through Davidson's as I have done in the past, always a seamless transaction. Not a lot of MK IV's out there is shops these days and they move fast.

I simply can't generate any enthusiasm for the MK4. Since the Mk & 22/45 pistols don't require constant cleaning(even when used as a suppressor host), I just don't see any great advantages.
I stopped in a gun shop that I hadn't been to for a couple years. He had 3 Mk4's in the case and 2 Mk2's with the used but nice condition Mk2's priced higher than the new Mk4's. His comment was "shooters don't really like the Mk4 and will pay more for a well cared for Mk2". He also commented that the garish colored 22/45 LITE was the hot seller in the Ruger 22 lineup.

"….. His comment was "shooters don't really like the Mk4 and will pay more for a well cared for Mk2". He also commented that the garish colored 22/45 LITE was the hot seller in the Ruger 22 lineup. "

Sounds like me. ;)

I mean the Mark IV is okay, but I still prefer the earlier Standard and Mark I, II. They are a sleeker, more elegant pistol. Plus they all have steel grip frame whether the are blued or stainless.

jimd441

Blackhawk
Purchased my Mark IV Target a little over a year ago and have a little over 2,000 rounds through it. The gun cycles flawlessly with mini-mags, not so much with various other ammo that I have tried.

I have long believed that poor shooters blame their guns and resisted making any modifications to my guns (other than scopes). After reading volumes and speaking to others about the Volquartsen trigger kits, I had a local gunsmith install one. My groups improved significantly.

Jim

Jeeper

Bearcat
Bought a Mark IV target in May. I had fte's and a couple ftf's per mag. To fix the fte's I did the magazine mod on YouTube and haven't had a single one since. For the ftf's I ended up buying a bolt with the VQ tune up kit installed and haven't had a single one since. A little work and an extra 35 bucks and it's now a great gun.

My favorite feature about the Mark IV is that because of the easy takedown you can switch out uppers at the range. I bought a tapered upper from VQ and am eventually going to get the hunter.

Attachments

• PXL_20220726_224308741.jpg
    PXL_20220726_224308741.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 52

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I like Marks. I have a Standard, a Mark 1, a Mark 2, a Mark 3, and a Mark 4. They ALL perform flawlessly. If I had to pick one for "best" it would probably be the 2. Of course, the 4 has the easiest takedown, but the truth is that any of the previous models can be run for decades and don't NEED to be taken down.