Ruger M77 tang safety button.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Buster95

Bearcat
I am noticing that the tang safety button on my Ruger M77 rattles around when the button is not engaged (FIRE position) but not if the button is engaged (SAFE position) . Is this normal? I can actually shake the gun and see and hear the safety button rattling around (FIRE position only).

davidj

Bearcat
How old is your Model 77? Back in the early 80s there was a recall on the tang safety due to some problem. Ruger sent out a replacement part as a fix.

Buster95

Bearcat
Beruisis said:
You can probably put a slight bend in that rod to alleviate that racket.
Beruisis

Bingo, I bent the link a little and problem fixed.

Buster95

Bearcat
davidj said:
How old is your Model 77? Back in the early 80s there was a recall on the tang safety due to some problem. Ruger sent out a replacement part as a fix.

pete44ru

Hunter
Buster95 said:
davidj said:
How old is your Model 77?

Back in the early 80s there was a recall on the tang safety due to some problem. Ruger sent out a replacement part as a fix.

Tang safety triggers were user-adjustable.

The issue that the 1978 recall solved was that the set screw for the trigger overtravel adjustment had a tendency to become loose.

When I called in, Ruger sent me the solution for my rifle - a setscrew that wouldn't loosen & put the rifle in the dangerous condition of firing unexpectedly ( http://www.ruger.com/M77Recall/index.html ).