Ruger M77 in 416 Taylor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I thought I would share some pictures of a gun I picked up in August out of a gun shop in Mass.. It is a M77 in 416 Taylor. They are quite rare with only 12-20 guns ever chamber in this caliber and none of them ever sold. Bill Ruger gave them to friends and events that he want to support. I talked to Bob Samson an outdoor writer in Mass. and he told me he knew both Bill and Bill Jr but never got a gun for himself. He picked up many guns over the years both at the factory and a gun shop in western CT. that Ruger would use. Mostly for DU events. This gun was NIB and was shipped Aug 77.
taylor1.jpg

taylor2.jpg

taylor3.jpg

taylor4.jpg

taylor5.jpg

taylor6.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
Awesome gun!!! Looks like I've got 8 of these noted now, plus the 70- gun that was Robert Chatfield Taylor's.
Always heard there were only 12 made.
Believe they were all distributed through Rody's gun shop in New Hampshire.
Chet15

427mach1

Blackhawk
Any plans to shoot it or is it a safe queen? Planning to make your own brass from .458 or???

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a first born and a left n__ I could offer you for that. That is truly awesome. :shock: Truly a lovely rifle.
The three that I knew about were of course Taylor's, John Wooters' and Ken Waters' guns. I had read of the 12 or thirteen. Gosh that is nice.
I gave up looking years ago for one of the originals. I was afraid that when I found one, I wouldn't have the money and I'd cry like a little girl.
Great find
Bfly

chet15

Hawkeye
Speaking of .416 Taylor in the M77, anybody remember what the sn of the Harry Sefried gun was when it was sold a couple years ago??
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
Speaking of .416 Taylor in the M77, anybody remember what the sn of the Harry Sefried gun was when it was sold a couple years ago??
Chet15

Had to resend this comment. Surely somebody still has a copy of that auction??
Chet15