Ruger Letter Wait Time?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
*sigh* It's all Mayodan newbies now, friends. When I called the CS I had to explain the difference between a 44 Blackhawk and a 44 Carbine...
The shopruger site and service pretty much suck now that it's all been uprooted and moved to NC to get that 9.2 Mill tax break.
There are no Rugers at Ruger anymore.

Vortex

Bearcat
Ruger emailed as well as called me to let me know a corrected letter is on it's way along with apologizing for the mistake. I'm happy they got back to me as quick as they did. I just wish I could have handled this over the phone rather then via email. Hopefully this new letter is correct.

Vortex

Bearcat
Ship date of dec 1956 as a model Blackhawk, Caliber 44 magnum.
No barrel length or other info was on the letter.

That's what I'm used to seeing in letters on guns of that era.

At that time there was only the 6-1/2" barrel length so it wasn't even mentioned, nor was a "model number".

Thanks for sharing, and congrats on a great find.

It just occurred to me. That gun has the small, serrated ejector rod button, doesn't it?! At that number, with that feature, the gun is very possibly one of the VERY FIRST .44 flatties shipped . . . perhaps one of the first 100 or so, according to the RENE Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volume One.

I note that Street pointed this out in your initial thread on the gun.

Great find, indeed.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nanchulla

Bearcat
Ale-8(1) said:
. . . aaaaaand now we have a problem.

A December 1956 .44 flattop would not have been a BKH-44. That's the number for a 4-5/8" .45 Blackhawk from the 1970 era.

A 1956 .44 would have been a BKH-46 as only the 6-1/2" barrel was available at the time, but it would probably not even been referred to by "model number".

Nice work, Ruger. Charge $10 and provide bogus information.

:roll:
I think they were too busy trying to start a great American company to write down the serial number and the name of the hardware store owner. You don't get much more from Colt, and they charge You $100+. At least they try to give You some free stuff. That patch probably costs them $2 or $3. They will probably start a historian center when more of their guns become historical weapons. At least they're trying. I think as time goes by they'll get their s*** together. Just sayin'.

The old daybooks did indicate shipping destination.

Not sure how "modern" records are kept (almost certainly on computer), but I suspect that info is still recorded -- surely an ATF requirement.

Situation now is, we get no more info, and occasionally less, for $10 than we used to get free. While I don't like having to pay for such info, I'd like it to be at least as good as "back in the day". Whether that will happen remains to be seen.

:)