Ruger is indeed using MIM parts

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
What I don't understand is why they immediately started using MIM parts in critical locations. Almost all 1911s have MIM fire control groups at this point, including Colts. Sig has been using it in hammers and triggers since the late 90s. As stated, auto manufacturers are using it for things like piston connecting rods; All very high-stress applications.

I have also heard that when hardened, only a skin of hardened material exists, and if you break through that skin (as in sear/hammer engagement surfaces) you get down to a much softer center material.

I don't have all the answers, but I do know I prefer my guns without MIM, locks, and most of the other modern BS, so I tend to buy older guns. I'm not the only one. Hence the absurd prices on pre Safe-T-Hammer S&Ws.

Hey, some people will only buy OM Rugers, or pre cross-bolt safety Winchesters. This is just another level of personal choice.

It's pretty clear they're not making guns to appeal to me, or people of my age group anymore. MIM is just another part of that. Oh well. I'm not interested in the latest, greatest 6-cam, laser-sighted compound archery bow, either. I'm sure someone is.

-- Sam

J Miller

Blackhawk
cas said:
J Miller said:
Have any of you actually seen a S&W MIM hammer and trigger?

Have you ever done an action job on a MIM S&W? Much much easier than on the forged part guns. The MIM parts are smooth and true from the start. They certainly have a different look and feel, but the results speak for themselves.
No I have not. I've owned many pre MIM, Pre Lock S&Ws and not one has needed an action job. Just load 'em up and shoot 'em.
My purchases have been severely stifled in recent years, I've purchased no new handguns. But there is one thing I said 10 years ago, and still stick to it:
I will never buy a S&W with a key lock. Not even if hell freezes over. And you can add MIM parts to that. You can like them all you want, but they are junk. And sadly when I go to buy a new Ruger if there is MIM parts in the action, I won't buy it either.

I'll stick with older technology thanks.

Joe

SteelShooter

Single-Sixer
I'm dumfounded as to how you managed to post on the forum using a typewriter, certain you wouldn't be found using technology like a computer with all those cheap plastic parts LOL Hey there may even be some MIM int there :lol: :lol:

Bucks Owin

Hunter
stantheman86 said:
The issue many Ruger fans will have is more about emotion and tradition. Most of us know MIM is perfectly fine, but with wheelguns there is a history and a dislike of change for many of us.

MIM parts, when made correctly, will actually wear longer than forged parts. It's just that many people don't like change, and I don't blame them. If you are a collector and a shooter of Rugers, and you are used to seeing them made more or less the same way since the 1950's, and then suddenly you see one with some "odd looking" hammer and trigger, there is going to be some emotion involved.

I can see the Single Action fans having a VERY hard time accepting a MIM hammer in a Vaquero or Blackhawk. I honestly don't think Ruger will sell many SA's with MIM parts......owners and shooters of Ruger SA's are VERY attached to these guns and the tradition behind them. They are much more than just "guns", there are guys who have a lot of pride in their custom Ruger SA's from the 60's. I would recommend to Ruger to at least leave the SA's alone.

DA revolvers are a bit different, this is my area of interest and I collect them because I like rock solid duty guns and service revolvers. If the MIM works better,lasts longer and makes the action smoother, I can deal with it in a GP100 or SP101. I will still be seeking out the older guns, but I will try a MIM Ruger DA.

I can smell it now.....the asking prices of DA Sixes, and older GP's and SP's just jumped $100 as sellers say "This is a REAL Ruger from back when they made them right........" as a justification to jack the price up. I will cringe when I see the day a used GP100 will cost more than a new one because it's "Classic" :roll:

My 2005 Dodge probably has MIM connecting rods and I trust it going 70 mph. down the highway.......it also has plastic doors and a plastic bumper and when I move around in the car I can hear plastic creaking, but this is the 2000's not the 1960's so I have to accept modern manufacturing.

Good post. I agree about the SA Rugers. Personally, I think NM BHs are fine sixguns and I own a few. I much prefer an OM though, they just "stir the soul". Kinda like old M-70 Winnies ya know? :wink:

stantheman86

Buckeye
I still won't judge it until I try one. Like was said, if Ruger does their own MIM for the parts, I won't be too turned off by it.

When we are getting GP100's and SP's that are slicker out of the box with parts that last longer, I think we will all feel better.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Just my observations paralleling what happened with S&W vs. what may happen with Ruger, since I also buy S&W's and watched this whole MIM thing unfold (blow up? :p ) in the late 90's- early 2000's with Smith......

I don't think Ruger will be quite as affected by the MIM as S&W was, mainly because Ruger hasn't been around as long and the designs are more modern. More Ruger fans will tolerate a MIM part SP101 than S&W fans have tolerated MIM Model 10's and 64's........the main argument is "after over 150 years of forged parts they started using MIM!!!"

Another big complaint of some S&W guys, is that "the firing pin belongs on the hammer!!" and they won't buy "some MIM gun with a frame mounted firing pin" obviously a frame mounted firing pin doesn't bother us :p

Also, I believe more Ruger fans like us are shooters, as well as collectors, while S&W has a LOT more guys who consider themselves only "collectors", and they feel once MIM came along there was nothing worth collecting and it drove the pre-MIM guns prices up.

S&W fans were aghast in the late 90's when guns like the Model 10, 586, etc. appeared with MIM parts and it caused a huge uproar. I honestly think the Internal Lock caused much, mouch more acrimony than any MIM ever did. Even some of the most die hard S&W "boycotters" say they own S&W's with MIM like pre-lock 686's, but they won't buy one with a lock.

Bottom line, I think we'll all survive, and no one will turn to dust or a pillar of salt for touching a GP100 with a MIM trigger :D The guns will still last 5 lifetimes, they will just look a little different.

OldePhart

Blackhawk
I don't have that much problem with MIM parts...better Mexico than China and Indonesia! Chances are if your "American" car wasn't assembled in Mexico most of the parts came from there. These days there is little to distinguish a MIM Fender electric guitar for $500 and a $1k MIA "American Standard" Fender electric guitar beyond somewhat better hardware and pickups on the latter. In fact, two of the worst guitars I've seen that had just absolutely obvious flaws from the factory were an American Standard Strat and a Gibson Les Paul.

Of course, I'm purely a "function over form" kind of guy rather than a collector - that's true for pretty much everything; firearms, instruments, cars, etc. I can see where collectors and the aesthetically inclined might be looking for more than comes from MIM...but unfortunately these days the normal production stuff coming out of American factories is pretty disappointing, too. You pretty much have to go with custom shop work (whether factory or independent) to get something that is "heirloom quality" these days. Wasn't always that way...

John

No-1

Single-Sixer
dipper said:
Like with anything that is manufactured, proper QC is a must and yes, forged, cast, machined, PM and MIM parts can and do fail.

MIM is an advancement on PM ( powered metal ) technology, it has fantastic benefits and can eliminate the need for secondary operations.

There are a lot of threads on this site re: Ruger QC or lack of it. They can be strong - GM uses powdered metal in some of their connecting rods. Ruger has been casting very strong pistol frames for years. I don't like the low spots and overly round edges of the MIM parts - cheap to make and cheap looking. I'm in the camp for buying the older guns. I percieve them to be of a better quality.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Oldephart "MIM" means "Metal Injection Molding", not "made in Mexico".

Old thread, and nobody cares anymore about ruger MIM parts.

Latest posts