Ruger American All weather

Help Support Ruger Forum:

danal73

Bearcat
I just bought a R.A.R. 30-06 that had scope base but no rings, am I limited to Ruger scope rings or are the bases universal?

9x19

Hunter
The Americacn comes with a Weaver style base installed... any Weaver-style rings should fit.

OzzyDave

Bearcat
They seem to shoot well. Have a mate bought a blued 243 for general pest control. In his words "shoots better than me". 5 shots of factory Federal power shok 80 grain inside a quarter. He is a happy camper.

Lloyd Smale

Blackhawk
I once read on a long range rifle fourm where a guy had asked Remington what the difference is in a bdl and a sps or even an adl (other then the lack of bottom metal on the adl),which by the way is what you have and was told the only differce is finish and stocks and that the barreled actions all come off the same assembly line.

The blind magazine guns are adls not sps and go for about a 150 bucks less then a sps. If you paid 600 for your adl you got took. Walmart here sells them with a cheap 3x9 scope for under 500 bucks every day of the year and that's the camo one. Ive seen the matte blued adls with no scope at Walmart for 350 during pre deer season sales. For that money you could about part it out and make a profit. A rem action is worth 300 bucks.

Sorry but the sps is just a higher grade rifle then an American and it should be as it costs more. the American is made to compete with the 783s and against that rife its hands down better. As to which shoots better, well I cant really say because ive never owned a American. I have heard they shoot well though. Ive owned probably a half a dozen sps rems. I had one that was a mediocre shooter. One, an 06, that is an exceptional shooter and the rest of them would shoot moa with loads they like. Id bet if you took 6 americans your results would be about the same. As to finish holding up my o6 is a good 10 years old now and still looks like new.

I talked to the guy that owns the water transfer camo place here localy when I had the stock on my Kimber montana done. He said that his most popular gun is the americans. Mostly because the metal finish is so poor that they look like crap after one year in the woods. I told him that all the new cheap guns have cheap finishes and maybe what hes seeing is lots of americans because there a pretty popular seller right now. He agreed but said that out of all of them the rugers come in more banged up then any.
planetcat said:
Lloyd Smale said:
kind of curious as to why you think its so much better then that sps. Ive handled a few blued americans and my sps rem have better fit and finish. The matte bluing rem uses sure isn't custom grade but its much better then the americans. the sps has metal bottom mag box and follower the ruger uses plastic. Ive got nothing agaist an American. I wouldn't mind having one to make up a truck gun myself but its more comparable to the 770 series remingtons then it is the sps guns. The main issues I've had with the sps are: a. Very sloppy bolt, b. Doesn't reliably feed quality production ammo, and c. The spray paint finish is not durable under mild climate and woods hunting conditions. Mine has an internal base plate, no magazine. I admit it goes bang when the trigger is pulled and is accurate enough for hunting; however, spending over $600 for a youth rifle that's similar in quality to my other kids $350 Mossberg ATR is disappointing. I've shot Rem 700 bdl and adl, and the sps is not the same whatsoever. Maybe I got one made on Friday before a holiday.

Latest posts