Help Support Ruger Forum:

What wouldyou get in the Super redhawk the 454 or 480

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Rclark

Hunter
.454 only because it is more common.

That said, as with others above, I am not in the market (never will be) as the .45 Colt (Up to 30,000cup ROL) is as much power as I'll ever need in a cartridge.

Frank Castle

Single-Sixer
480 Ruger for me, I like my wrist to much......even so a 400gr with a healthy dose of w296 ain't no weakling!

debent55

Bearcat
The answer is simple. BUY BOTH!!
That 480 can be loaded long with cast boolits and it will emulate the 475L.
Welcome to the dark side!

pyth0n

Buckeye
I voted .480 because I have a 6 shot, 7 1/2" barrel Super Redhawk (SRH). I'd like to get a .454 SRH cylinder for my .45 colt Redhawk, though.

PythonMan

Bearcat
I voted 480 because theyre no longer made and from what I've been reading it's a fantastic cartridge. It would be nice if Ruger does another run or two of the 480 caliber SRH in the near future! I would really like a 454 and a 480 SRH though.

Wrangler John

Bearcat
As I have posted before, the .480 Ruger is among the most accurate and consistent "magnum" cartridges available. Ruger made two mistakes: First, not making the SRH a five shot. Second, not offering it in a Super Blackhawk.

In the marketplace, doing something that bucks conventional thought, such as the idea that a hand canon must be a five shot, is a formula for eliciting uninformed criticism. Especially true if a new material is needed to make it work, such as the Carpenter 465 steel. Everyone jumped on those thin webs of steel between the chambers. I too wondered about the margin of safety, yet my SRH performed normally, and exhibited no extraction problems. Undoubtedly some people experienced extraction problems or worse, especially when chasing maximum handloads.

When I had a Blackhawk converted to a five shot .480 Ruger the frame window had to be opened slightly to accommodate the larger chrome moly cylinder. Strangely enough the SRH's six shot cylinder has a larger O.D. and thicker exterior walls. The five shot cylinder has thicker walls between the chambers, but would stick fired cases, including some hotter factory ammo.

Like the slightly too short .357 Maximum cylinder that led to "flame cutting" and criticism in the gun press, the .480 Ruger began life as the ugly duckling, soon to be orphaned. Both suffered from perceived problems that could have been avoided with a few engineering changes to allay controversey. Anticipating reaction within the marketplace to a new product requires a good deal of brainstorming. Whether or not sufficient market demand existed to maintain sales is another thing entirely.

What is known is that Ruger developed a great cartridge in the .480, one that is predictable and efficient. If it were me, I would purchase the .480 Ruger, and leave the .454 for later - they'll still be around. Too bad someone doesn't revisit the .480 Ruger and design the ideal revolver for it.

Powderblast

Bearcat
JEFraze,
Where are you in Kentucky? I live in Western Ky close to Beaver Dam. I saw a used gray 7 1/2 480 Super Redhawk just the other day at a Pawn shop near E-town that is going out of business at the end of the month. He priced it to me for I think a little over $600. Had the box and rings (rings hadn't been used) and partial box of shells. Gun looked really good, I don't think it had been shot much. Email me if interested, I'll fill you in on particulars.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I you're an adrenaline junky you might not be happy with either for long. If you gat a 480 think about a convertible cylinder chamebered for the 475 Linebaugh when you want more steam.

Might as well jump right to the 460 or 500 S&W. You can shoot your 454s in the 460.

Also Gary Reeder now has a 500 Ruger long frame, 5 shot. That would be the ticket. And you can shoot 500 Specials in it and rival the 454 or 480 all day long.

I'd be happy with a 5 shot 500 Spl or 500 Wyoming Express standard frame SBH or original Vaquero.

Latest posts