Returning the Red Label

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Was wondering if anyone knows if Ruger will be returning the Red Label or any shotgun for that matter in the future? With all the guns Ruger makes I am still surprised they aren't marketing a shotgun.

I have done some searches on the Red Label and am surprised with the comments on it. I have one and love it for clays. Swinging like a 2x4 is the biggest comment and not having any experience with another brand I feel like maybe I am missing something. I have shot a friends Krieghoff and I must say it WAS lovely but not so much better that the extra money for that gun would be worth it.

Why no love for the RL and will Ruger ever bring it back? Or any shotgun?

eastbank

Single-Sixer
they had problems and ruger was not able to fix them. some work well, but a lot don,t. eastbank.

DanGee

Bearcat
I bought a 12-gauge Red Label in 1987 that I used for skeet and hunting for the next 10 years. Probably put close to 40,000 shells through it on the skeet field and maybe a flat in the hunting field. Never a bobble. Very heavy barrels, though; I suspect the advent of steel shot made the manufacturer cautious.

Picked up a 28-gauge RRL in 2006 which has become my go-to gun when I want to shoot 28-gauge shells (I have three other guns in 28). It isn't as well finished as the earlier gun, but the design and size is perfect for the shell.

I don't know the reasons for Ruger giving up on shotguns, but there was nothing wrong with the Red Label design. Maybe the profit margin wasn't large enough to satisfy the stockholders.

MalteseHoss

Bearcat
I read a story somewhere on the interweb that said the new one cost too much to build which meant it would cost too much to sell. Just guessing but they must figured no one would pay top dollar for an American shotgun. The Japanese brownings and Italian berettas must be a better buy for $1800+.

I do wish Ruger would make an American in 12 and 20ga. to compete with the savage bolts.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Just figure they make affordable, high quality pistols and rifles. Why not a shotgun? Heck I would settle for a pump of the quality of the older Remington 870s. Not the newer ones. I've got one of those, not happy. Everybody is making a pump and auto, Why not Ruger? Glad I got my RL when I did because I love that gun.

RSIno1

Hunter
The old Red Label was deemed to expensive to build today by the Ruger bean counters. They re-engineered it to make it cheaper to produce. They brought it out and after just a few months so many problems arose and they stopped production. Maybe they have somebody working on figuring out how to fix the problems. I can't see them writing off all the engineering and tooling cost for the second generation gun. I'd wager in the next 2-3 years it will be back as new and improved.
Of course the Red Label and No1 both suffer from the fact that they were never intended to be produced in the millions. They were halo products to show off the skill and ability of Ruger engineers and gunsmiths.