Replacing Main Spring Housing (MSH) For Better Accuracy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
Has anyone changed out their flat MSH for a curved one to enhanced accuracy, better handling, and more natural pointability? Would love to hear all the pros and cons.

Kanook

Buckeye
I did just the opposite, went from arched to flat.

Made a difference to me, I couldn't stand the way the arch felt in my hand

Snake45

Hawkeye
MSH shape has nothing to do with accuracy. As to the other points you mention, it's purely a matter of personal preference. Put on whatever you like.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Snake you old slitherer in the grass, if you have a 1911 with both, 15 yards, no aiming, point and shoot, tell me what you got or show it if its convenient.
For me, there is a difference, not a huge amount but a comfortable difference. Lee

Snake45

Hawkeye
sliclee said:
Snake you old slitherer in the grass, if you have a 1911 with both, 15 yards, no aiming, point and shoot, tell me what you got or show it if its convenient.
For me, there is a difference, not a huge amount but a comfortable difference. Lee
Most of my 1911s have flat housings, but a few years ago I built one with an arched housing and .22 conversion just to make myself get used to it. Took a few thousand rounds but I finally did. It feels okay now but I still prefer the flat.

I built up a Commander with a Pachmayr "semi-arched" housing, too. Still like the flat better.

But none of the MSHs have anything to do with the gun's accuracy, just its feel.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
The reason that the arched housing was included in the "Improved" 1911 was to improve its pointing characteristics after it was discovered that men under stress, firing one-handed in a rush at close range were shooting low when they thrust the gun out at roughly shoulde level without using the sights.

This was the first recognition of the natural human stress response to a threat is to crouch slightly and shoot from or just below point-shoulder while focusing on the threat rather than deliberately aiming...and it worked pretty well for most people. For others...the ones who didn't shoot low...it either didn't make a lot of difference or it caused them to shoot high. I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't see a lot of difference, though if I'm pressed, I'd have to say that the arched housing does help a little when firing with one hand, quickly engaging multiple targets at varied distances. Two handed...sighted or unsighted...not enough to make a practical difference.

Pantherclass2004

Single-Sixer
"Feel" of the grip has pretty much everything to do with how accurate a gun is t an individual. Yes, it won't make the gun inherently more accurate when shot from a fixed bench situation.....but that hasn't much to do with real life accuracy of a shooter.
Snake45 said:
sliclee said:
Most of my 1911s have flat housings, but a few years ago I built one with an arched housing and .22 conversion just to make myself get used to it. Took a few thousand rounds but I finally did. It feels okay now but I still prefer the flat.

I built up a Commander with a Pachmayr "semi-arched" housing, too. Still like the flat better.

But none of the MSHs have anything to do with the gun's accuracy, just its feel.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pantherclass2004 said:
"Feel" of the grip has pretty much everything to do with how accurate a gun is t an individual.
It's an important factor, but "everything"? Uh, no.

mc1911

Bearcat
I put a synthetic "plastic" MSH on my LW to shave a hair more weight off it. It aint much but it feels a bit lighter.

Mike J

Hunter
dakota1911 said:
A MSH is not that expensive or hard to change. Try it and see what you think.

I have thought at times I should try an arched housing just to see if it makes a noticeable difference. Somehow I just never seem to get around to it.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Mike J said:
dakota1911 said:
A MSH is not that expensive or hard to change. Try it and see what you think.

I have thought at times I should try an arched housing just to see if it makes a noticeable difference. Somehow I just never seem to get around to it.
See if you can borrow a gun with an arched housing to test-shoot, or at least handle for a bit.

I'll bet you like your flat housing better.

Latest posts