Removing Ruger faux case colored finish ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DutchV

Bearcat
Does anyone know a way to remove the Ruger faux case colored finish they used on Vaqueros? I'm looking for something chemical rather than sandpaper or steel wool.

Thanks, Dutch

jgt

Buckeye
The lead removal cloth you get from the gun shop is intended for stainless guns only because it will remove blue finish from blued guns. It may do the trick on case colors also. Do not know for sure since I have not tried it in that roll.

Cholo

Staff member
Those colors are relatively fragile. I'd try some non-chlorinated brake cleaner like Brakleen. It won't harm the bluing. If hesitant to use brake cleaner, just buy one of the various cleaners like Gun Scrubber. They just cost more, and GS tends to lose its aerosol after a while.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
I stripped my gun and taped off the barrel. Then simply buffed it off with a bench mounted buffer. Took about 5 minutes and came out very shiny and ready to work with.

OR,,,, you could contact Ruger before you strip it. I have heard the might reblue it for you.

Last edited:
The trick is how to keep it from disappearing from normal use and cleaning. At least in my experience. Like Cholo said, the color is pretty fragile.

Hankus

Blackhawk
The lead removal cloth you get from the gun shop is intended for stainless guns only because it will remove blue finish from blued guns. It may do the trick on case colors also. Do not know for sure since I have not tried it in that roll.
What is a lead removal cloth?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's made for removal of lead splatter and carbon gunk from the front face of the cylinder, the cylinder flutes and inside the cylinder window in the frame around the barrel throat. It removes stuff gun cleaner can't. And can remove bluing if used too aggressively. It's a strong chemical cleaner, not like sanding.

Or you can hand polish off the case colors with Flitz, Semichrome or Mothers Mag wheel polish. Ask for these products at a gun store or search on-line.

Latest posts