Removed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Wall

Single-Sixer
I haven't fired that many JHP. Maybe one box at the most. Didn't have any problems. I don't remember what brand it was. I usually fire FMJ 230gr.
I've recently started loading my own .45ACP and haven't had any issues.
I'm real interested in finding out what went wrong with yours.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
newlightart said:
... if anyone else had any problems?

Before you blame the SR1911, consider the magazines. Try borrowing a variety from others to see if they help. My SR1911 has been running for more than a year and almost 7,000 rounds using 200 gr LSWC bullets in Wilson 47D magazines without a single error.

But this same gun suffers from a double-feeds 8% (1 in 12) percent of the time using Ruger's (Check-Mate) magazines with 230 gr LRN bullets. I have no idea why, nor does Ruger (who looked into the problem) nor does Check-Mate (who also looked into the problem). It just does, so I don't use those bullets in those magazines.

In the world of 1911 pistols magazines are far more frequently behind feed problems that the pistols themselves. There's a reason that Wilson 47Ds are probably the most trusted aftermarket magazines. I use them exclusively, but even they might not be perfect in someone else's guns.

As painful as this may seem to accept, you'll have your best luck when you find the pistol/magazine/ammo combination that works and stick to it.

scooter

Bearcat
Fedral Hydro Shocks, and some old Black Talon no problems with either one. I will be loading some Sierra 185 and 230 gr. jhp's along with some Hornady 185 gr hp's will let you know.

vh20

Bearcat
I ran 100 rds. of Remington's generic 230 gr. hollow-points (green/white box) followed by 50 rds. of Remington Golden Saber 230 gr. hollow-points in the same session without any cleaning in between, etc. I didn't have a single issue. Like dlidster, I was also using Wilson 47D mags. I'm waiting to get my hands on some 230 gr. Ranger Ts to try next. If you can get a Wilson 47D to try, I'd suggest giving it a whirl.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
It's good that you sent it back to Ruger. Let them do all the guessing as to what's wrong. You're definitely going to want more magazines anyway for when you go to the range. So you might as well get some that have good reviews like the ones mentioned above.

Darkwolf

Bearcat
Can I ask your round count on the gun? Mine had 2 issues. One was that it was really tight, I had lots of different feeding and extraction problems until I got over about 350 round through her.

I was still having issues with the 8 round mag, so I loaded that one up and let it sit for a couple week and now it has fed a couple hundred round with out problems. Ruger does use very stiff springs in their mags.

Gregg1LE

Single-Sixer
I have used the Winchester 230gr JHP from WalMart,Hornaday Critical Defense and Zombie Max hollowpoints through both of my 1911's with zero problems.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
newlightart said:
Well I heard back from Ruger, they sent the SR1911 back to me with no changes made:

"Everything was dimensionally correct. He did clean the gun thoroughly, and although it was not extremely dirty, it was cleaned. The gun was then shot by two of our folks using two different hallow point rounds with no issues. One of the hallow points was Remington 185 grain +P and the other was a Federal 185 grain hollow point. Neither one exhibited any issues. Please shoot the pistol and let me know if you have any issues."

I'm surprised no issues came up during inspection by Ruger, since as documented in the photos above, I haven't been able to run a single magazine through the SR1911 without a jam when using Winchester and Remington hollow points. I'm also surprised they said it needed cleaning, since I cleaned it before each of the three trips to the range, and the third trip I only fired about 50 rounds total.

Here's what I will do, when I get the SR1911 back I will take it to the range, and take along my M&P45c. I will load one magazine from each gun with both my Winchester JHP and Remington JHP, and at the range I will purchase a high quality aftermarket 1911 magazine and load it with some of the Federal JHP recommended by Ruger and others. I will then record a short video of me firing all 5 magazines (2 through the M&P and then the 3 through the SR1911). Hopefully no issues will occur; but if there are any jams, they will be documented on video. Comparing it against the M&P should take out any variables as far as ammo quality, my firing technique, etc (if any ammo is bad then it should affect both guns, and if my technique is off that should show more in the smaller/lighter M&P polymer pistol).

I'll let you all know how it goes!

Well, that's not exactly comparing apples to apples...... :?

dlidster

Single-Sixer
newlightart said:
Ruger Packer said:

I'm only using the "known good" pistol to eliminate variables...
What else can you recommend to try and determine the issue?

I understand how frustrating this can be, but I sincerely doubt there is a problem with the pistol itself. Almost all feed issues with a 1911 are magazine issues. Before you buy several brands, borrow as many different brands as you can for your tests.

Using the "known good" pistol does not eliminate any vaiables. It just demonstrates that these loads work in that pistol.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
newlightart said:
Right, I went through the same thing with my new F-150... (Rolls eyes)

Just trying to help. Judging by your attitude, I doubt you'll find a solution satisfactory to you.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
newlightart said:
Ruger Packer said:

I'm only using the "known good" pistol to eliminate variables. People have suggested that the problem may be with the ammo; if two types of ammo run in one gun but not in the other, then an ammo problem can be eliminated. People have also suggested that I may not be shooting the gun properly. Again, if one gun runs but the other does not, then my technique can be eliminated.

Also, people have said it may be magazine related (even though Ruger did not say they had problems with the mags) so I will purchase a new recommended mag and try that.

What else can you recommend to try and determine the issue?

Take along another 1911 platform to test along side your SR1911. :roll:

revhigh

Hawkeye
dlidster said:
Before you blame the SR1911, consider the magazines. Try borrowing a variety from others to see if they help. My SR1911 has been running for more than a year and almost 7,000 rounds using 200 gr LSWC bullets in Wilson 47D magazines without a single error.

If a 1911 of ANY brand won't run without specific magazines ... it's not much of a 1911 ....

I have a box of about 100 assorted 1911 mags, and when I go shooting with my Colts or Springfields I just grab a handful at random. I've never had an issue running ANY ammo with ANY magazine out of a Colt or a Springfield. 1911's are GENERIC .... they DON'T NEED special mags if they're functioning as they should.

REV