Remington R1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TRanger

Blackhawk
I have read good and bad about this pistol. I have not shot one, but examined one at the local shop, and was impressed with how nicely made it seemed. I was particularly glad to see Remington did not put a bunch of useless bells and whistles on the gun, going with a classic look instead. What is the general opinion of those who have actually owned and shot one?

Jer75

Bearcat
I have a hundred rounds of experience with mine so it's way early of course, but so far I am stoked about this gun!

My copy is just flawless. Fit and finish is really nice. I've shot one box of MagTech and one box of Sellier & Bellot so far and it functioned perfectly.

Some have thought the sights should have been just like the old military blade, or that there seems to be too much light between the front sight when lined up, like the rear notch is too big. But I'm liking the 3-dots myself.

I've only shot from a standing position, but it hits cans and bottles though it may be a tad low I think windage is about right on mine. One of these days I'll sit at a bench and see where it prints on paper, but for now I'm just shoot'n it. And I love it!!

smitty_bs

Bearcat
Good to hear. I too have examined two of them. One with a Remington Rep and one at my LGS. I was impressed, but never did get to shoot one. I hope they do well selling these.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Jer75 said:
or that there seems to be too much light between the front sight when lined up, like the rear notch is too big.

This is a "combat" setup, the light on the sides of the front sight allows you to pick it up more quickly. Not as precise for target shooting.

jhearne

Buckeye
My friend has one, bought it new at a gun show about a month and half ago. He really likes it, and I like it too. It's a well put together 1911, but without any bells/whistles. Functionally, it's been good and shoots better than I can, only been able to put a couple mags downrange so far at improvised targets.

My only dislike is some casting marks on the grip frame, seems there was some pitting and they tried to clean it up. Didn't notice it until we got it home, and he didn't notice and doesn't mind them. Just a cosmetic thing really, otherwise, the gun is nice.

I like the sights, simple and easily seen, at first they seem a tad large though.

Remington has a few models to choose from now, the R1 is just a plain jane 1911, no frills. They've got a Centennial model as well as an "Enhanced" model. The Centennial is prettied up a good bit and looks good, the Enhanced has a few ergonomic and performance upgrades.

Josh

sargents1

Single-Sixer
I have not shot one, but I did check one out at the LGS and I was impressed with the fit, finish and arrangement of the R1. As stated, there is no un-necessary frippery on it. I liked the sights, though I do think they are maybe a bit large, even for 3-dot sights. Nothing I couldn't work with though.

The trigger had some creep to it, I would rate it a touch above average. Still, that is a N-I-B gun and it would probably improve with use.

Very tight, with no rattling when shaken. Seems very well made.

If they made one in 10mm I would be on it like white on rice.

FergusonTO35 said:
Is the R1 made in Illion, NY?

Remington 1911 - 34552
Overview:

THE ALL-NEW REMINGTON® MODEL 1911 R1

The accuracy and reliability that have made the 1911 an American icon now shine brighter than ever. Features include a crisp trigger, dovetailed front and rear sights, precision-machined slide and frame, and available fine-checkered American walnut grips. The new Model 1911 R1 is truly the finest blend of exacting craftsmanship and out-of-box performance available today. Every element is produced with ultra-tight tolerances on equipment representing the height of modern technology. The result is a sweet-shooting advancement of a legendary design we're more than proud to put our name on.

See the features

The Remington Model 1911 R1 is manufactured with pride and precision, to the exacting standards you've come to expect from Remington. Right here in Ilion, New York.

These are advertised as made in America. Mine said right on the gun, made in America.

However, in spite of this, there were folks on the forum that insisted they were made in Turkey.

So, unless they have information that I don't know, I still argue that they are made in Ilion, New York.

WAYNO.

A

Anonymous

One poster on another group I'm in has several different 1911s, and he loved it. His only kick is that it comes with a fairly short trigger, which didn't work best with his large hands, so he dropped in a longer reach trigger.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Wayno, the biggest rap I have seen about the R1 is that it has an investment cast frame and not where the componets were made. 1911 purists tend to scoff at cast frames, I'm not an 1911 purist. For the most part, Springfield's low to medium end 1911's are wholly made in Brasil and they use forged frames. The frames are forged in Brasil as are the frames for their made in the USA marked guns. All Springfield forged steel frames are made in Brasil. Not many companies make investment cast 1911 frames, the country that probably does it the most is Turkey as they also make most of the finer double barreled shotguns in the world.
....and I have been told by many people I trust to know more about it than I, that this is were the R1 frame is made. That doesn't make the gun inferior, it just means that it, like many things are not completely made in the U.S.
The slide on the R1 is machined barstock, not forged, much like this 1911:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/IAC-Regent-Model-R100/

A 1911 made in Turkey. Looks just like an R1 and made in the same way minus wood grips.

I have no doubt that the R1 is made (assembled) in NY but some components are another question and only an idiot would worry that a good gun was not made in the USA with 100% USA parts. Find a car or truck in this world that is made only of parts from just one country.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
Cheesewhiz said:
Wayno, the biggest rap I have seen about the R1 is that it has an investment cast frame and not where the componets were made.

Not to turn this thread sideways but aren't the P- Ruger frames cast aluminum? Not many complaints about them. I really like the idea of the R1 but like a bit more than a plain GI pattern.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
ArmedinAZ said:
Cheesewhiz said:
Wayno, the biggest rap I have seen about the R1 is that it has an investment cast frame and not where the componets were made.

Not to turn this thread sideways but aren't the P- Ruger frames cast aluminum? Not many complaints about them. I really like the idea of the R1 but like a bit more than a plain GI pattern.

The R1 isn't "Plain Jane", it is to a Springer Milspec, it has a widened and cut ejection port, tapered magwell, larger Milspec style sights and high cut trigger guard.

BTW cast aluminum has lost a lot of it's luster over time and use, forged aircraft aluminum is the new new.

Jer75

Bearcat
I've seen some of that talk about the frames made elsewhere too, but I recalled reading in Shooting Times otherwise.

So I went back and dug out the June 2010 issue and there is a feature article on the R1 by Sheriff Jim Wilson. Toward the end of the article he's talking about his conversation with Remington's Martinez, and there is this paragraph:

"Martinez went on to say the R1 is being made in Remington's Ilion, NY plant. Currently, frames and slides are made in-house, while the barrel and other parts are outsourced. Martinez told me the next major change in the production involves Remington building its own barrels. I suspect when the Remington 1911 project gets into full swing, virtually the entire pistol will be manufactured at the Ilion facility"

So I'm thinking by now (since there are other models available now) that maybe the whole thing is done in-house. Just going by this article I'd have to say at least the frames and slides are. I know the barrel is a match barrel, but I don't know how I would know if mine was made late enough to be a Remington made barrel or if it was an outsourced one.

Jer75

Bearcat
sargents1 said:
The trigger had some creep to it, I would rate it a touch above average. Still, that is a N-I-B gun and it would probably improve with use.

Very tight, with no rattling when shaken. Seems very well made.

BTW, meant to comment on this last night and must have forgot. But 6-8 weeks prior to my buying the R1, my brother-in-law bought one at the same LGS. I've not seen his, but he has handled my gun and he says my trigger is far better than his. He says his has a gritty feel to it. Mine has no real creep that I can tell, but I have heard some samples are better than others.

WillRuss

Bearcat
I fondled the R1 at the NRA convention last year when Remington rolled it out. I was impressed by the fit and finish, but I'm sure they were hand picked before letting them loose on the crowd. The only thing keeping me from buying one is that I'm waiting for the Commander model. They've never announced that they're considering making one, but I keep hoping. I guess they're waiting on me to buy an R1, then they'll announce the Commander the next day.

THauch33

Bearcat
Ok, I just skimmed the post and maybe I missed it, but does anyone know how much the Remington 1911 is being sold for?
Thanks

Jer75

Bearcat
I gave $600 for mine at my LGS and they are now shown at $650 there. I see Buds shows them at $674.

Latest posts