remington case split in half

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pal Val

Buckeye
I had a couple of Magtech .30 special cases split like that some time ago. I threw away the whole batch. It had 15 reloads anyway, so I consider I got reasonable use from it.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Pal Val said:
I had a couple of Magtech .30 special cases split like that some time ago. I threw away the whole batch. It had 15 reloads anyway, so I consider I got reasonable use from it.

LOL, Yea I'd say ya'll got your moneys worth. :lol:
Sal

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Inspect the rest of your cases (unfired ones as well). I had the same thing happen on some RP 357 standard brass cases that were produced in about the year 2000. I thought I had a hot load. But then I found that I had split cases that had never been fired. Call RP and they will replace the batch.

alkpon

Bearcat
Pics aren't that great but they appear (to me) to be reloads. Notice the resizing rings above rim and uneven trimming at case mouth.
My headlights are probably dimmng but I would guess they are most likely homegrown reloads. Not at all bad, to certain extent, if you can control # of reloads, pressure, etc.
Looks like case has become metal hardened and just gave up with stress.
My 2 cents.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
alkpon said:
Pics aren't that great but they appear (to me) to be reloads. Notice the resizing rings above rim and uneven trimming at case mouth.
My headlights are probably dimmng but I would guess they are most likely homegrown reloads. Not at all bad, to certain extent, if you can control # of reloads, pressure, etc.
Looks like case has become metal hardened and just gave up with stress.
My 2 cents.

The ammo was factory new ammo. It has been sitting in a warehouse for a long time though.

alkpon

Bearcat
Factory new and sitting in a warehouse for a "long time" may connect the dots. Maybe aluminum cases?

ADP3

Single-Sixer
alkpon
CCI is the only manufacturer to use Aluminum cases. These were RP Nickel plated Brass.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Bucks Owin

Hunter
63November said:
Nickeled Remington revolver cases have never lasted long for me in my 45 Colt chambers. Getting to a half dozen loadings with them is a minor miracle and plain brass will easily double and triple that. OTOH, 38 Special Rem Nickel seem to be fine, but they run a lower pressure so probably no surprise. I don't worry about it. I jingle nickel cases after they've been fired and even hard-to-see cracks will give themselves up with their dull sound; they don't ring like sound brass does. BTW, I've never seen any signs of gas cutting in the chambers to worry about.

I recently had a bag of RP nickle plated .45LC cases sent to me by mistake. (I had bid on Starline nickle) When I went to chamfer/flare them, I noticed that almost all of them had the plating flaking off inside the case mouth. Loaded them anyway, and the fired cases now have the nickle plate flaking off the outside of the mouths now too...

Happily, they ended up not costing me anything and that's exactly what they're worth IMO. Just reinforces my habit of rarely buying anything made by "big green"... :roll:

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I (am not the only one) often use(d) R-P nickeled cases for extreme load development in numerous chamberings to include 357 Magnum, 41 Magnum, 44 Magnum, and 45 Colt non-SAAMI.

But I never-ever-EVER used those fired cases again for anything but girlie-poofers......

Then those insane loads were manufactured using Federal or Winchester or Starline or IMI cases for retail sale.

Latest posts