reloading Lead for the SR9's?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wolvee123

Bearcat
I just bought my wife an SR9c and I'm thinking about picking up another SR9 but I'd like to know what have been your results with reloading and using lead bullets.

I use CCI primers.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Haven't used lead for my 9mm cause you can get true FMJ's (not plated) from Precision Delta for $76.00-79.00 a thousand shipped free.
http://www.precisiondelta.com/
My favorite load for my SR9c is,
Pre Delta 124g FMJ
Hodgdon Universal 4.5g
Federal 200 Mag primers
1.140 OAL

If you cast your own or just prefer lead adjust the load accordingly.
But do dump the CCI primers and get some Federals. Some 9c's can sometimes experience lite strike issues so why compound that possibility by using rock hard CCI's.
For the up most in reliable ignition why use anything else?
Sal

Wolvee123

Bearcat
I did hear that the CCI's are some of the hardest primers. Thanks for the heads up. I am new to reloading. I use Dardas and have had good and accurate results. I didn't know about the brand you mentioned, I'll do some research on them, thanks again.

ScatterGun4015

Bearcat
I had issues with my lead loads. I was loading them for my p89 and they functioned perfectly in it. The sr9 with the tighter recoil spring had failure to feed and to ejects. I bumped up my powder charge and was able to get it to cycle reliably, but I was getting bad leading. I switched back to fmj's (got a buddy that is a dealer and gets them cheap) and am much happier. Just my .02c

Simms65

Bearcat
125gr Missouri small ball lead, range brass, 5.0gr Power Pistol, Winchester small pistol primers. ~1100 fps out of two SR9s, no appreciable leading, slight smoke. One hole at 10 yards if I do my part.

Oh, actually, wait! Lead is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad! Don't use it! FMJs and HPs only! :D

revhigh

Hawkeye
Simms65 said:
125gr Missouri small ball lead, range brass, 5.0gr Power Pistol, Winchester small pistol primers. ~1100 fps out of two SR9s,

Not sure where you get those fps readings, but I'd say they're WAY off ... nowhere near that. I use the same basic recipe, but with 6.0 grains of PP, and I get roughly 1070 fps based on two different chronographs out of a CZ75B.

REV

Anthony Williams

Single-Sixer
REVHIGH

The numbers are correct. The reason your numbers are lower is because your CZ75 is the inferior pistol. Save yourself further humiliation and just Fed Ex me your pistol. And don't worry, I'll cover the freight. :lol:

A.W.

Simms65

Bearcat
Hmm... the rounds I put over a borrowed chrono were in the 1070-1120 range... I'll double check it with another. Regardless it is 100% functional in every pistol I've tried it in, including several Rugers, a Glock, and a couple Sigs.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sure it will function, and it's probably a very accurate load since PP is probably the best 9MM powder, I just don't think your velocity readings are accurate.

I discovered 6 grains about 7 years ago, and to this day, have never experienced a more accurate recipe in 9MM with 124 grain lead round nose bullets and the Win SP primers.

I'd check with another chrono just to verify it. What one are you using now ?

I buy my bullets from mastercast for about $50/1000, and get no leading and no smoke whatsoever .... I use mastercast bullets in all my autos.

By the way .... by WAY OFF, I meant probably about 100 fps from your 1100 number. :D

REV

Simms65

Bearcat
Yeah I figured based on your numbers it is probably ~1000fps. I don't recall the brand name of the chrono, there's a good chance it just isn't working properly. It is an unknown age and I borrowed it. :lol:

revhigh

Hawkeye
You can also get skewed results if the batteries are dying. I use a Shooting Chrony that has always matched up within a few FPS of several other 'better' chrony's.

REV

"fk"

Bearcat
I have been loading 147gr Oregon Trail laser cast bullets. Shooting them in a SR9C and a Marlin Camp 9. The load I use is from Lyman #49 in pistol and rifle loads. It is an awesome round the Oregon Trail bullets are 22 bhn so they are hard enough. Pistol shoots right a 1050fps and the rifle with 16" barrel I don't know yet as I haven't Chronographed it yet.

If you are looking for and awesome round for self defense or hunting small game this is it. The rifle zero's at 100yds just fine but not much further.

"fk"