Relative value of Mk II??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

m657

Buckeye
got a buddy trying to sell me his Mk II 5" taper barrel, standard sights, 1982 serial #, excellent shape about 92%+, no box, low rounds obvious, 1 magazine. Red logo..

Local dealer tells me it's a shooter worth $150-250 range.....probably not more as people will buy Mk III instead. Comments/opinions?

Also have a sharp 95%++ grade stainless Mitchell High Standard Trophy II, no box. I've never been around the Mitchell versions that work, but this one put 50 down range without a hiccup.

No box, 1 mag. I am an original High Standard fan, but skeptical of a company long out of business...

wwb

Hunter
The dealer is, of course, trying to make a buck.

Around here, a 90% Mark II in a private sale will go for about $25 less than a comparable model NIB Mark III. The Mark III "features" don't seem to bother some folks, but a lot of knowledgable buyers will shop long and hard for a Mark II rather than buy a Mark III.

contender

Ruger Guru
In general,,, many folks actually prefer the MKII vs the MKIII. Less lawyer crap,,,!
Now,, you mentioned it has 5" bbl, but it should actually be a 4-5/8" if it's a Standard model. If so, it's about a $250 gun.

m657

Buckeye
thanks for the information....
barrel is 4 5/8 from muzzle to frame.

I'm thinking IF I get it I'll need better sights for my geezer eyes.

The large iron sights on the old High Standard Citation still work good for me, if there is a difference in coloration. Black on black doesn't do well with the laser blasts administered a decade ago that brought me back from 20/400 in my sighting eye....it's now 20/35 with some other issues, but I'm mighty pleased it works as well as it does.

Not in love with adjustable rear sight necessarily. Would appreciate tips on what iron sights might work best for me.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
ACTUALLY one measure an autoloading pistol barrel down the muzzle to the closed standing breech.
The RUGER STANDARD 22LRA PISTOL with the short barrel measures 4 3/4" and has from the first one ever made.
The standard fixed sights on every RUGER STANDARD I ever owned [4] were right on the money. One 4 3/4" gun needed a tap to the right but elevation was perfect. My 6" STANDARD will shoot with ANY MKII Target that comes down the pike.
THERE ARE NO SIGHTS BETTER'N FIXED SIGHTS IF---IF!!!---THEY ARE FIXED IN THE RIGHT PLACE.

m657

Buckeye
agree on the fixed sight, I prefer 'em.....being able to SEE 'em is another issue entirely;

on this Mk II I measure from the muzzle back to the frame; this doesn't count the actual length of the chamber, which makes the measurement right at 6"

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
IN AN AUTOLOADING PISTOL, the chamber is part of the barrel length. To get the CORRECT length drop a 22 cleaning rod down the barrel until it stops at the standing breech [ that is to say the closed slide ] , mark the rod at the at the end of the barrel, withdraw the rod and measure it from the mark you made to the end of the rod. That will give you the correct barrel length.

M3Stuart

Bearcat
I found a mid 90's MkII standard in mint condition with both mags and the box for $199 at a pawn shop recently - GREAT deal in my book. It took precisely 7 nanoseconds for me to whip my wallet out and buy that bad boy.