Redhawk Return Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
That plunger is pushed in (forward) to release the trigger housing group. I had a new RH that came with a plunger that was bent. A call to ruger had new parts comming.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
Chuck 100 yd said:
That plunger is pushed in (forward) to release the trigger housing group. I had a new RH that came with a plunger that was bent. A call to ruger had new parts comming.

Chuck 100 yd, I don't mean to be difficult or contradictory, but no, it is not. It is pulled to the rear. Please check the video linked to below:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=redhawk+disassembly+video&view=detail&mid=2FA4377FAAC1BD3873B22FA4377FAAC1BD3873B2&FORM=VIRE

If you don't want to watch all 2:15 of it, skip to 1:50. And in any event, that plunger will not move at all in any direction.

NikA

Buckeye
I had this experience as well within the past 2 years, although I was eventually able to get mine apart with a plastic mallet. I think a while back there were some complaints about fitting of the trigger assembly on the RH series (maybe unlatching under recoil?), and Ruger has decided to error on the side of making these units extremely tight (think hammered together) because many users will never have them apart. I eventually pried mine back (the correct direction, opposite the SP/GP/SRH series) using something like a screwdriver blade as a spacer and found that (1) the plunger was bent due to being forced and (2) the latch hole in the trigger assembly really needed deburring/polishing. I called for a new plunger and have been good since replacing it. Even with the polished plunger and hole, I still find that I sometimes need the plastic mallet to disassemble/reassemble the trigger assembly with the tighter fitting. This really isn't an issue for me since I more or less only have it apart to do work on the trigger assembly components.

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
So I sent the replacement back today. I decided to use the same FFL who received it for me, and I went ahead and paid him the transfer fee from the other day, too. Let's hope that Ruger can easily fix it and get it back to, and that there will be no more problems!

DPris

Buckeye
And let's hope that you don't end up adding another $100 in transfer fees to the price of the gun.
If Ruger's going to insist on an FFL, they should cover the costs of processing the replacements. :)
Denis

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
If they send the same gun back, there is no transfer, and thus no transfer fee. Another replacement, another fee, and I expect them to cover that cost.