Red Ramp front sight for fixed sight 3" GP?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Anybody make a red ramp front sight for the 3" fixed sight GP-100? I see that Ruger has them for the adjustable sight model, but not the fixed one.

Anybody know of a source? Could the adjustable sight one be cut down easily?

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Unless the 3" GP is unusual, it will have a pinned front sight. The adjustable sight models do not.

It is possible to replace the front sight with a Smith & Wesson pinned front sight. It requires some
file work on the sight to make it fit the slot in the GP barrel. The sight will need to be thinned slightly
and the back of the sight will need to be shortened somewhat.

I do not recommend doing this, but it is possible.

I'm not aware of any. Millet used to have colored sights for various guns but then they sold the good sights went away. I've used model airplane paint on a sight, some people use finger nail polish. I like Yellow for the sights, some people like red. Good luck.

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
I have a red ramp Millet on my 3 inch GP100 tough to find, but they are out there, though not being made any more. IDK why, as folks seem to want tnem.

k22fan

Blackhawk
A white model airplane paint undercoat topped with fluorescent fishing lure paint stands out against most backgrounds, even in the dark with a flash light. If you change your mind a little paint remover will wipe it off and your GP will be original again. That may not seem important now but so long as they are kept original all guns become collectable after enough time goes by.

tjironhorse

Single-Sixer
k22fan said:
A white model airplane paint undercoat topped with fluorescent fishing lure paint stands out against most backgrounds, even in the dark with a flash light. If you change your mind a little paint remover will wipe it off and your GP will be original again. That may not seem important now but so long as they are kept original all guns become collectable after enough time goes by.

If and when it becomes collectable, its a simple job to reinstall the factory sight. Provided you have the foresight to keep it, along with knowing where you put it.

Thel

Blackhawk
Any good gunsmith ought to be able to create a colored insert for the sight in a number of colors. Brownells has several kits to do this, too. In the past I have had gunsmiths fashion front sights in new configurations to fit, usually with a gold bead.