Recommendations to Cerakote 1911SR slide???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Blueduck

Bearcat
Greetings,

I love my SR1911 mechanically, but all matte stainless is kind of "meh" to my personal taste looks wise. I do like the two tone look so thinking about sending slide only in to be cerakoted black.

After almost sending slide off to a shop with a nice website, then discovering the owner was basically on the lamb from hoards of angry customers, figured I better be a bit more careful ;)

So anyone have a trusted shop or company they have had good work done recently???

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Anyone know how to tell Cerakote from Krylon? No wonder so many basement gunsmiths offer a $200 Cerakote job.
Black Oxide is probably cheapest and DIY-possible (if you understand basic chemistry and can work with 300-degree caustics)
Or for the best, just call Robar for Poly T2. Aerospace-grade coating in 4 colors and they'll do your complete slide pkg for about 170 bucks. If its good enough for Navy SEALs...

I Cerakote as part of my business and charge $75 to do just the slide (you do have to pay for the shipping to and from). It takes about a week to get it back to you once I've received it. You could go with a Gloss Black (which can be done anywhere from a matte look to a gloss look), or if you want something a little different, you could go with a Midnight Blue (shows a hint of blue when moved around in the light) or a Midnight Green (hint of green). Both are nice colors. SOCOM Blue is another nice dark color with a bit of blue in it. Or you could go with a dark, almost black, gray color like SIG Dark Gray or McMillan Gray.

And yes, I can tell Cerakote for Krylon :D

I have posted pictures here on the forum of some of the guns I've done and I've done some for members here who were happy with the results. If you are interested and would like to see some of my work, let me know and I can PM you some pictures.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ron, we had a supplier send us a spray-n-bake paint (the Krylon comment) in lieu of contract terms of the Cerakote coating. The only way we could determine the sub-contract coating was using a destructive test method (MEK and scratch test). We've tried UV and 10X whitelight, but results are always in-conclusive and subjective. We also need to specify coverage and legibility over laser-marked serial numbers and logos, etc.
Can you detail any non-destructive test aside from a batch-coupon validation? Again, we need to verify Cerakote from several other name-brand coatings on mild steel and nickel-stainless. NIC/Cerakote hasn't helped us to date. Thanks in advance.

I just don't know of any non destructive test you can use to check Cerakote, I've never had to get into the level of use that you are talking about. I do know that if the depth of the laser or other marking is less than about .007-.008", that Cerakote can fill it in to the point of obliterating it. Properly sprayed, Cerakote is about .005" thick on a flat surface, but it can pool in engraving and fill it if the engraving is very shallow. I've had guns with very light roll engraving on the flats that when I coated and cured them they were just barely discernable, almost completely filled in. When I get a firearm from a customer with engraving that is very shallow, I tell them what might happen (filled markings) and allow them to decide what they want to do.

Sorry, I really don't know what can be done to verify what coating might be on an object, other than destructive tests (and that's what Cerakote shows on their brochures.

If I can find out anything, I'll let you know.

I would have thought the supplier of the coating would have sent an SDS or MSDS with the product and that should have listed some of what you needed to know about the product.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Ahaa!

Yes, in the example above the certification was bogus, obviously the supplier claimed a "glitch". :roll: . Since it was shipped across state lines, other recourse avenues are being explored by counsel. :p :p

I guess the salient point is that there is no non-destructive test to prove Cerakote, which is otherwsie a very adequate spray-n-bake type finish. This is what the shooting sports needs. The rest of the world certifies a coating material by coupon (provided), but I've not found a finisher yet willing to provide this at same cost.?

chowser51

Bearcat
Forgot to post pictures.

Coyotekiller did my Ruger frame in matte black molyresin
r4.jpg

My old P225 frame and slide in matte black molyresin
IMG_20150522_094242.jpg

CCR did my slide here in their matte house black
IMG_20150129_213710.jpg

Most of my other CCR stuff is CPII.