Recommend Micarta Grips for Ruger Bisley

Help Support Ruger Forum:

banjomule

Bearcat
Can anyone recommend a grip maker/fitter that does Micarta grips to a similar level of fit quality as Freedom Arms? I'm looking to have some new grips fitted to my Ruger Bisley. I've read a lot of recommendations for Chig's grips but he doesn't do Micarta. Thanks!

contender

Ruger Guru
Not sure if he does micarta or not,, but look into "Lone Star Custom Grips". Zane Thompson. He goes by lscg on forums. TOP quality!

These are black micarta from Hogue. They fit surprisingly well.

Attachments

• IMG_7119.jpeg
    IMG_7119.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 64

gunzo

Hunter
These are black micarta from Hogue. They fit surprisingly well.

I always thought the Hogues were very thick at the top & were way proud of the frame. These don't look like that. Any chance of a side view of the top of the grip? If not so thick I'll be ordering a pair today.

Otherwise, all the Reeder fitted Micarta on a Bisley I've seen were superb. $200 on a stainless gun, more for blue. :oops:

Last edited:

G2

Hunter
I always thought the Hogues were very thick at the top & were way proud of the frame. These don't look like that. Any chance of a side view of the top of the grip? If not so thick I'll be ordering a pair today.

Otherwise, all the Reeder fitted Micarta on a Bisley I've seen were superb. $200 on a stainless gun, more for blue. :oops:

These are Hogue, and yes they "came" as you described, thick and oversized.
I like to consider them as a "Grip Kit".

When they arrive get your files out, adjust to a tight fit, then profile them to your liking. One you have it dialed in, some 120, 240 and a green scotchbrite pad get them all looking good.

Hogue Micarta is good tough stuff, fithly, but very good consistent material.

You will see why a lot of custom grip makers don't do Micarta, it's a mess…🙄
However the finished product is nice.

53137063798_e174551f0b_k.jpg

53411303305_61c949a082_k.jpg

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Actually, recent Hogue grips in micarta for the plow handle Vaqueros have been much thinner at the neck area, in both white and black micarta.
I had stopped buying the thick stuff (wasn't skilled enough to do a good thinning job), so was very pleased to see they thinned them and have bought several pairs.

Reactions: G2

rawly1

Single-Sixer
I believe reeders micarta are actually Corian. However, anything reader puts on a frame will fit and feel like it grew their perfection

BULL'S-EYE

Buckeye
I used to work with it a lot in a machine shop where I was once employed. It's dusty, nasty and highly toxic stuff to be around...And, proper respiratory protection is an absolute must while doing so. Not at all hard at all for me to understand why prominent grip makers don't want to deal with the stuff. But, it definitely does make some nice looking, and nearly indestructible grips when properly finished though.