Question on a Birdshead SS Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

100yr2late

Bearcat
I bought this gun new, catalog # KBNVBH 453, serial # 58-57xxx. When I did an advanced search on gun broker about a year ago when I was thinking of selling it I found one that SOLD for $1000 and it stunned me that someone would pay that kind of money for a gun that's not that old. Is it really rare ? It was said that it was un-turned and un-fired NIB. He described it as an OLD Vaquero, which is when they made them on the 44mag frame correct? I was wondering if there is something really rare about this gun that would make it command a higher price. I am a collector by no means, I have guns that I like and five other Rugers. A 44mag new model super blackhawk, a 357mag new model blackhawk, a 3 screw single six, a 10-22 and a 77-22 besides the Vaquero. I am down sizing as I need the money and the Vaquero will probably go next. I don't want to take a hit on it, if it is worth a premium I would like to make a little bit more but still sell it for a deal. Could some of you guys let me about what I might expect to sell this gun for? Thank you all in advance

Seems they were a Talo Exclusive. http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroDE/models.html
Here is one that is a lot less. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=472493001

100yr2late

Bearcat
I believe the Talo guns are built on the NEW Vaquero frames which are slightly smaller like .357 frames where as the first ones were made on larger 44mag frames.
I would like to find out more about that though. If anyone has a source of info about these or production records I'd like to read or hear about them

G2

Hunter
The gun you have is a 2 digit prefix sn#.
The frame would be considered a Blackhawk frame, will handle "Ruger only loads"

You are correct on the recent production "Talo" guns being built as New Vaqueros on the mid size NV frame and they will not handle RO loads.
They are a 3 digit prefix sn#.

Larger 44mag frame, Super Blackhawk frame, Blackhawk Frame, all the same thing, more commonly & primarily referred as Blackhawk frame. Chambered in 30carbine, 357,41,44,45 are most common, there are 32,327,32-20,38-40,44-40, ect. to name a few of the others.

As to value of your gun. I saw your post yesterday and have poked around to find out if the values of these has gone crazy as you posted. I could not find anywhere where these are bringing $1,000 money.
I have 3 in my records where I paid in the 500 range. Stainless
I located several in the 599-650 range. Stainless

100yr2late

Bearcat
Thank you for the information G2. I don't know how far back into the history of auctions on Gunbroker but I still have the copy of the finished auction. It ended quite a bit earlier than I thought (8-10-2012) Auction # 300421169. I have no idea why the winning bidder would have paid that much. The gun was described as unfired, unturned nib and still having factory lube on it? It's serial # 58-58xxx and my # 58-57xxx are close. I've had it to a few gun shows and will continue to ask $700. Do you know if Ruger still produces this on the larger frame? Or maybe how many were made like it. Thanks again G2

dakota1911

Buckeye
I go to gunpoker for laughs. You have an international audience and there is one you know what born every minute. Maybe some trust fund baby wanted one, didn't care what it cost and didn't want to mess around looking any further.

100yr2late

Bearcat
dakota1911 said:
I go to gunpoker for laughs. You have an international audience and there is one you know what born every minute. Maybe some trust fund baby wanted one, didn't care what it cost and didn't want to mess around looking any further.
That very well could be but if you look through the sold guns you can sort of tell what they might be worth. Probably a little better than just looking in the Blue Book and guessing % of finish. I have been looking on and off for some time and I haven't found another like this one. If you or anyone else see's one for sale or one that has sold, I hope they will post it or PM me Thanks all

G2

Hunter
2 digit pre-fix sn Vaqueros were discontinued a few years back.(~2005) Good strong guns but we're BIG and the cowboy action shooters wanted something more along the size of the colt, ,,, the New Vaquero was the answer.

My son bought these 2 consecutive sn# guns for our birthdays, they were "clean-up" guns(~2010), paid $1,020 for the pair. They both now have the Bisley Hammer, here is a picture that job half way done. :wink:

P1010001-10.jpg

I have since added a 45acp cylinder too.
P1010005-20.jpg

Not my gun but I would like to get mine all scratched up like this one someday.

5l2c1z.jpg

100yr2late

Bearcat
Nice pair G2. If I keep this one I might put a Bisley hammer on it. That is a different trigger too, right, was it modified or what? And those are "old" Vaquero's too correct? So 'clean up" guns were made from left over frames? Does Ruger say to only shoot cowboy loads out of their New Vaquero's? That is awesome engraving also. I talked to an engraver at a show and he said the loading gate is harder than the rest of the gun and it doesn't take as well there.

G2

Hunter
100yr2late said:
Nice pair G2. If I keep this one I might put a Bisley hammer on it. That is a different trigger too, right, was it modified or what? And those are "old" Vaquero's too correct? So 'clean up" guns were made from left over frames? Does Ruger say to only shoot cowboy loads out of their New Vaquero's? That is awesome engraving also. I talked to an engraver at a show and he said the loading gate is harder than the rest of the gun and it doesn't take as well there.

Good eye, yes that is a bisley trigger that I trimmed to fit in the birds head
grip frame, I liked the extra curve of the bisley trigger.

Old, Original, or just plain o'l "Vaquero" yep 2 digit pre-fix sn#. In 2005 Ruger did a big push to clear out all of the odds & ends, a lot of interesting offerings came out.

Ruger has never ok'd Ruger only loads, only SAMMI specs.

100yr2late

Bearcat
So the hammer has to be fitted to the gun for it to work? Oh, miss read, trigger had to be fitted. Was the hammer just a swap?

G2

Hunter
100yr2late said:
So the hammer has to be fitted to the gun for it to work? Oh, miss read, trigger had to be fitted. Was the hammer just a swap?

A Super Blackhawk Hammer will "drop in".
The Bisley Hammer has to have the Bisley hump removed and then "drop in".
"Drop in" ,,, sometimes they do and sometimes they need a little massage.

Picture showing standard hammer, a little bit of the hump left Bisley hammer and a Bisley hammer.
The "little bit left" is left to fit the back of the ears/frame. This distance can be different depending on the particular gripframe.
P1010010-6.jpg