Problem With New SR22 - Help

Help Support Ruger Forum:

doc540

Single-Sixer
cliff notes:

new SR22 with about 75 rounds thru it during first range trip...no problems of any kind

2nd range trip today

Numerous times, with a full mag, it would fire the first round, eject the brass, but fail to load the next round.

Did the same thing randomly with several different types of ammo and with both, new factory mags.

What's going on here?

OSU Beaver

Bearcat
I had a similar experience with my SR22. At first I questioned the quality of the ammunition, but now believe it was 90% a result of my not cleaning & oiling it prior to first use and 10% a result of the gun not being particularly fond of Federal Lightening.
Anyway, I took it back to the office and gave it a complete cleaning & light oil and have almost no problems since. I have had one failure to load since, but it was that Federal Lightening ammo & at that time, I had about 400 rounds through it since the prior cleaning. Subsequent plinking trips have been flawless.
I think about 500 rounds between cleaning is about the most you'd want to do.
I love the gun and would recommend it to anyone.

XDM6951

Bearcat
I also have a SR22 no problems with over 750 rds .Try to only put a few rounds and see if you have the same problem. It might be the MAGS .
Did you clean the pistol and if so did you put the spring back right . I made the mistake of putting the larg end of the spring towards the rear .I did have the problem but it might be yours .

doc540

Single-Sixer
thanks

did not remove spring

thoroughly cleaned and lubed before first range trip

cleaned and lubed before second range trip

I'll try short loading the mag's next.

scooter

Bearcat
mine did the same thing the other day as i didnt clean it from the previous time and after a more rounds(200). I always carry a small squirt bottle of rem oil in my bag and i gave it a good squirt on the rails and ran it wet, no problems so it must be kept clean from what i found.

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
Continually had problems loading the second round in a full mag until I did all of the following:

1) Lightly lubed the entire gun as told by the manual,
2) Load each magazine under pressure, making little or no use of the slide button.
3) Make absolutely certain the rims of the first three rounds are not caught behind the round below it,
4) Tapping each mag to seat the casings against the back of the mag.

My second 100 rounds were CCI Mini-mags which went through without a failure. For the third 100 rounds, I went back to other ammo (Win 333 and CCI Blazers) and had some failures. I noted that the Mini-mags felt slippery loading while the other ammo was either totally dry or waxy-sticky. That's when I added the "lightly lubed" to my regimen.

Since then - about 800 rounds more - I've had only 2 FTFs on the second round using Blazers and Federal stuff, and I am happy with the pistol.

tonyben

Bearcat
I haven't had any of those problems in just under 1000 rounds. Mine was made in March. I field stripped and applied a light coat of grease around the barrel, slide and frame rails. I fed Federal bulk pack, CCI bulk, Remington golden bullet and Peters lead RN without any feeding problems at all. I only had 2 rounds misfire but it had nothing to do with the pistol.

Tony.

clint_lnl

Bearcat
Twoboxer said:
Continually had problems loading the second round in a full mag until I did all of the following:

2) Load each magazine under pressure, making little or no use of the slide button.
3) Make absolutely certain the rims of the first three rounds are not caught behind the round below it,

did the above and loaded both mags and let them sit for a week and so far feeding the 2nd round everytime now

clint_lnl

Bearcat
Twoboxer said:

did the above and loaded both mags and let them sit for a week and so far feeding the 2nd round everytime now

werewolf

Bearcat
Make sure the mag is seated all the way.The grip does not really loosen up enough to fall off but may just interfere with the bottom of the mag.Also,an underpowered round,even slightly,may cause the slide not to cycle far enough back.

XDM6951

Bearcat
Good . Just back brom range over 1200 rds through still 100%.
I did notice if you slap a mag in hard the top round angles up to much and wont feed . So I will be easy putting a fresh mag . Not a big deal . This is the best 22 I ever owned and I had a few . Bersa T22 and Walther P22 . This SR22 is much better . Dam it is as reliable as my EDC guns

RedlegM109A1

Single-Sixer
werewolf said:
Make sure the mag is seated all the way.The grip does not really loosen up enough to fall off but may just interfere with the bottom of the mag.Also,an underpowered round,even slightly,may cause the slide not to cycle far enough back.

Yes, I am wondering if this is the problem. I have 2 SR22Ps and they never exhibit the problem the OP is describing. I have 12 magazines and all feed both guns perfectly. If the mags are not getting seated properly that would explain this.