Probably beaten to death: Who to accurize Ruger ranch rifle,

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hemiallen

Bearcat
I found, and now lost information for a gentleman who does trigger work on them, around 2 1/2#, and accuracy work. My first focus will be the trigger, but if I get a reply on this, the next step is what is everyone doing to get 1" 5 shot groups for serious varmint work?

I have gotten around 1 1/2" with FMJ's and H 335, but I haven't done much serious load development, now with the AR gone, she needs to step it up a notch...lol

Thanks

Allen

hemiallen

Bearcat
Thanks.

He has moved, and is not currently doing gunsmithing according to his website. It says he is re-evaluating his business....

Anyone else?

Thanks
Allen

hemiallen

Bearcat
Thanks

Anyone know a few gunsmiths I found and can verify their work?

One is Terry G at Impact guns, another is Poway Gunworks, and a third is a guy in Idaho named Scott, from savage gunsmithing ( who seemed great on the phone).

Thanks for any feedback of these two

Allen

Bigfoot62

Bearcat
DonD":36h0k8ye said:
. . . Another poster mentioned Clark gunsmithing. They've had a fine reputation for many, many years. Jerry Miculek works out of the Clark business or is at least associated. He married Clark's daughter. Don
Jerry is married to Kay Clark. They have their own business, Clark Safe and Gun. (IIRC) Clark Custom Guns is owned by Jim Clark, Jr. The two businesses are both located in NW Louisiana, but are separate entities, about 20 miles apart.

I think you could google Accuracy Systems. They did a bang up job with the trigger on one of my minis. I would only send them the trigger group... personally I think the bedding stuff for the receiver is a bunch of hooy... the only other thing I would do besides the trigger is the clamp on thingy (accu-strut) under the barrel and you can do that yourself.

goredsox

Bearcat
On my stock mini-14, I was able to move from 3-4" groups to 2-3" groups just by matching my barrel twist to bullet weight. At first I didn't realize I had an older 1:7 twist barrel and the typical 55gr or 62gr bullets were to light...the Federal match load 77gr shoots the most precise for me at just about 2" MOA... but they're hella expensive.. the Wolf/Prvi Partizan are in no way match grade, but even they shoot around 2" MOA for me. For plucking coyotes on our hillside farms... that's far more than adequate. I may send it in for some trigger-work to see how far below 2MOA that'll get me. But in such a short/thin barrel, the costs of glass bedding, recrowning etc, for small incremental improvements would not be cost-effective for me. However, If I lived out west with longer shots and more open terrain, I'd probably just swap out for the Ruger target model, as cheaper than upgrading my ranch rifle. Hope this helps

X - Man

Bearcat
I went through the same experience that Goredsox had. Started with 4"+ groups, then tried several different bullets weights. Ended up liking the Sierra Matchking hpbt in 77gr. When using these handloads my groups are a consistent 1-1/2" @ 100 yards.

Of course, I did make changes and improvements to my Ranch rifle. A trigger job was one of the improvements. More info about mods made to the Mini can be located at the "Perfect Union" site. Nearly all the improvements can be done by the enthusiast who has a bit of shop skills.

This is a work in progress, as I've only started to reload about 4 months ago. And just got hooked up with a local club and range.

FYI; IMR 4895 with 23.2gr with the 77gr bullet, loaded to a max length of 2.260"

Latest posts