Polishing your shell ramp

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PlaythruChazfar

Bearcat
I have a sr9c and I am wondering if I polished the ramp for the shell to enter the chamber would this make things more efficient and has anyone done this?
If i did this with a dremel tool with a polishing cloth could I cause any damage and would it be worth the effort?

Verndog

Blackhawk
PlaythruChazfar said:
I have a sr9c and I am wondering if I polished the ramp for the shell to enter the chamber would this make things more efficient and has anyone done this?
If i did this with a dremel tool with a polishing cloth could I cause any damage and would it be worth the effort?

More efficient? Only if you are having issues with failure to feed. It wont hurt to use low speed cloth and polish, I do mine by hand now and then, but the stock finish is usually quite adequate for smooth feeding. Also to be technical, it's better to rub in the direction the bullet feeds, then in a rotary direction that "may" cause a ridge to hang on.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Use a 3/8" wooden dowel rod with an extra fine 1200 or even higher numbered grit emery cloth. make up and down strokes along the length of the feed ramp. Hand polish after this with some Flitz and a very soft cloth. Never get into the chamber with this work nor the radius to the chamber, keep it on the ramp angle only.

Vern does bring up a good point, if you don't have a feeding issue, why bother?

Dremel tools should be only used for home dentistry, never on a gun.