Please educate me on which reloader to buy as a gift!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GoPokes82

Bearcat
My fiance's father's birthday is coming up in 7 days, and we were thinking of buying him a new reloader for his birthday. He and I have enjoyed shooting together many times (at his cabin), and I know he reloads 38's and some rifle cartridges. He also reloads shotgun shells.

Although I love shooting, I am a total novice at reloading. So the question is, what info do I need to buy him a new one? He always joke about having a cheap one that is a single reloader, or not a progressive (sorry if I am using the wrong terms). The one he has is the type where you have to make each cartridge individually. I think he would like a nicer one (in my head I think its called a "progressive reloader??"). I think it matters which brand I get him, because I am under the impression if I get the wrong type or brand, it will not be compatible with his existing dies.

I am sure this post is full of errors in naming and misunderstanding, so please excuse me for that! I have enjoyed shooting my gp100 many times with him, and I think this would make a great gift. He has offered to teach me to reload with his gear, so I can call him and ask him about what he has without giving away the surprise.

Thank you!

nvbirdman

Blackhawk
Apparently he already has a single stage press.
A progressive press that will load rifle calibers would be something along the lines of a Dillon, and they are quite expensive unless the person is going to do a LOT of shooting.
For handgun calibers (the 38) you might consider a Lee Classic Turret. It is semi-progressive and can crank out a lot of ammo, but personally I don't mess with mine untill I'm ready to load 300 to 400 rounds.
For some reason it is showing three smiley face instead of three eight.

contender

Ruger Guru
One simple word;
DILLON!!!!!!!!!!
They make the best progressive reloaders out there,, with a total "NO BS" warranty. Call them,, 800-223-4570,, and they will deliver fast! Many folks really enjoy the 550 model. It'll do all the things you mentioned. Current price is $420.00 and they are worth EVERY penny. If anything ever breaks,, they send replacement parts free,, quickly! I own 3 of them,, and would buy more if I get them at a good price,, or if I decide I need another one!
I have always had the folks at Dillon eager to help,, and knowledgable to boot!
CALL them!

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
Unless you want to spring for the price of a Dillon I would not buy a progressive press for him. You could get him a few reloading items without spending hundreds of $$s. That could be a reloading manual,brass,bullets,scale, etc.. If there is a way to could tell what he could use & does not have. Nice idea I may add.

hornady

Bearcat
You can read post on reloading presses and still not know which is the best, or best for him, just a suggestion.
If me I would get him a gift card for Mid south shooters or Mid way USA,
He may like reloading on a single stage press many guys do, just as others only want an Auto progressive.
If he reloads he will know exactly what he has had his eye on.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I kinda agree with both Hornady and Contender. My dad and I have been reloading for decades on "cheap single stage presses" and will probably do so for many to come. We both enjoy getting out to the workshops and the single stage process, and it just seems like there is always another component or more supplies that need to be purchased.

All that aside, a Dillon 550 would be an awfully nice gift... :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
I'll be a slight voice of dissent here. For about $400, you can get a Hornady Lock and Load AP progressive, which includes an automatic powder drop AND IT INDEXES BY ITSELF, as a progressive press should. The Dillon 550 needs to be indexed manually. A real equivalent to the Hornady LNL AP is the Dillon 650, which is considerably more expensive. Hornady also is giving away free bullets with the purchase of their press, so that can further reduce the cost depending on the free bullets chosen.

Don't get me wrong, the Dillon presses are excellent in every way, but so are the Hornadys, and the Hornadys are a far better value. Hornady also has the same 'NO BS' warranty, although they don't call it that. They've sent me many parts for free over the years, and very quickly, just like Dillon. About a year ago I developed a timing issue with my 25 year old Hornady Projector progressive after about 250,000 rounds loaded. Hornady told me to send it in, and they refurbished it to current specs, replacing and updating over 25 parts. Cost for that ?? ZERO.

I'd seriously consider the Hornady LNL AP if I were you.

By the way, the gift certificate from MidwayUSA is also a great idea, although you can't get Dillon presses there, if that's what you ultimately decide on.

REV

hornady

Bearcat
Like Revhigh I have the Hornady LNL auto progressive, but have been around long enough to know it will not get much to start the which is better argument, My Hornady is all the press I will ever need, but with the Auto progressives, the add ons will add up fast, shell holders for a Single or Turret press are about 5 bucks each, shell plates for the autos are about $30.00. Two or three calibers and large quantities of ammo, there is nothing better than Auto presses. I load 12 different rounds; only three on the Hornady, the rest are done on a single stage, changing from round too round with the Autos can be time consuming.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I like the Hornady L-N-L/AP too, but I question whether you should run out and buy this type of press for someone. This will completely change their approach to reloading and may incur a bunch of other purchases (shell plates, etc). My LNL was less than $500 new, but I've got over $700 into it with all the accessories I've gotten.

The Lee Turret is a nice upgrade from single stage (if the reloader is interested in such a change), and can be had for less than $100.

Reloading is one of those things: You get used to your way of doing it. To buy a new setup for someone without their input may be setting them up for change they don't really want. Not that it isn't a great idea and very thoughtful of you. This might be one of those things where it's better to take the giftee shopping.

Good luck!

-- Sam

Elmer

Bearcat
I think the gift certificate is the best idea as the choice of brand, style, etc. are very subjective and kinda personal, IMO.

And who knows, maybe the guy really wants a turret press...

mattsbox99

Hunter
This seems like a lot of money to be spending... I think you should send in a spy to find out if he needs anything.

I have a couple of progressive presses, one is a MEC 650 and the other is Dillon Super 1050. Both are good presses, which has not always been the case with progressives. My Dillon is designed for commercial grade use and cranks out 1200 rounds an hour. My MEC is good for about 250 shotshells an hour.

Maybe a case trimmer or digital scale or a powder measure would be a nice gift and would be a lot more cost friendly. Take a look at the photos of stuff on Midway and let us know what he has and that will make it a lot easier. I really doubt you want to drop $400-$750 on a birthday present.

DGW1949

Hunter
Tools are a personal thing. Your future paw-in-law aint you. He aint me. What we may think about this or that tool won't matter to the guy being asked to use it. I'd give him a pre-paid debit card and let him pick his own.

DGW

Pal Val

Buckeye
DGW1949, I like the way you think. I think I'm leaving a copy of your message somewhere where my future daughter-in-law can find it. :wink: :wink:

seeemmiss

Single-Sixer
I say Dillon also. I started with the 550 and am glad I did. It makes reloading easy and fun. I also have a couple of Dillon 650s and they auto index if that is an issue for him or you.

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
Picking someone else's tools for them is almost as difficult to do as picking someone else's spouse. Ever try to set up a blind date?

Having put those cautions out there, it is possible to come close to the mark by observing:

Does he like blonde's, brunettes or redheads?

Are his current reloading tools Blue (Dillon), Green (RCBS), Red (Lee) or what?

If you ever watch him when he is reloading, he might have talked about a "wish I had" item.

What is your budget? An electric powder dispenser that weighs out each charge (while he is doing other tasks, so the powder is waiting for him when he needs it) can be had for between $150 to $500, depending on manufacturer and what bells and whistles come with it. But if he does not weigh charges, might be useless to him. Some people prefer loading by volume.

Does he have a chronograph (for measuring bullet speed)? If he keeps track of his loading data and does not have one, he needs one and would appreciate it (my opinions). $150 and up.

The least expensive electronic scales are around $30, very small and adequately accurate most of the time. But you do get what you pay for and the cheaper ones can be affected my vibration of the loading bench and emanations from florescent lights and such.

As a shooter, you should know your target.
As a hunter, your should know your quarry.
As a giver, you should know your givee.

When it comes to loved ones, the better gifts always show that you put thought into them. The best gift shows you put yourself into it.

Lost Sheep