Pin diameter for front site-Super Redhawk Alaskan 2.5 brl

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Big Mak

Bearcat
Hi there. Big Mak from Montana.
Finally got a hold of a bucket list revolver on subject line in 44 magnum, with 2.5" barrel.
Bear encounters are common where we live/hike near Glacier NP.

I picked this one up in a local auction, and it appears unfired. The price I bid held at $850 !
It will replace my Dan Wesson 44 mag (4" barrel) for carry. (Dan is carried with a chest rig)

Couple of questions!
First, I want to replace that dreadful black front site with a more visible front site.
A) Recommendations for a front site?
B) What is the punch diameter for the pin on the front site? I don't believe I have a drift pin punch that small...

Secondly, I am a hand loader of 22 different cartridge types. 44 Magnum is one of them.
A) I typically use H110 for 44 mag. Do you as a hand loader use something other than H110 and why?
B) Should I stick to a 240 grain bullet for bear loads or will I break my wrist if I up it to a 300 grain hard cast?

Thirdly, the weight of this Super Redhawk Alaskan 44 mag with 2.5" barrel still is a bit too heavy for belt carry.
A) Can you recommend a good chest holster or should I just stay with my gun belt and holster it for a side carry?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• i-gJn7RWD-X2.jpg
    i-gJn7RWD-X2.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 69
  • i-jL5ZTS6-X2.jpg
    i-jL5ZTS6-X2.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 63
  • i-pMcFTj6-X2.jpg
    i-pMcFTj6-X2.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 59

contender

Ruger Guru
First off; "Welcome to the Forum!"

Now,, down to offering a few thoughts.
The front sight. If black is an issue,, MANY of us serious handgunners prefer to paint the ramp of the blade with a white paint,, THEN,, add a coat of day-glo orange or green on top of the white. It's cheap, easy to do, makes an excellent custom option that's easily reversed.

If a pin replacement is the desired route,, a company known as "Hi-Viz" offers many front sights that are fiber optic. A call to them might get you help. As for the pin diameter,, I have no clue.

Handloading for the 44 mag. Many of us prefer using 2400 instead of H110. More forgiving,, and many more variables in load ranges. BUT,, a good handloader works up a load for THEIR gun,, using different bullets & powders to find what the gun prefers for accuracy. Max power isn't worth a hoot w/o accuracy.
And you can easily step up to a heavier bullet. You might find it'll surprise you & not break a wrist or hurt as much as you'd think. Again,, let YOUR gun in YOUR hands make the decisions.

Holsters. Since you are in serious bear country, a good QUALITY chest holster would offer the easiest & quickest access to a handgun if, gosh forbid,, you NEEDED it. Quality is paramount here. I own good quality holsters. Simply Rugged makes good stuff as does Diamond D in chest holsters. But by far,, the best quality I've found is Barranti Leather, and the Northwest Companion. Heavier grade leather, TOP quality, and the balance is superb. I like to think if my life were on the line,, I'd have the best quality,, so that if I lost,, it wouldn't be the fault of my equipment. Look hard at Barranti leather. Mikes work is second to none.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
Nothing wrong with H110 but I am old school and still use 2400. I would suggest a 250 to 300 grain bullet. I like the 265 grain Hornady for bears but I think they are no longer in production. Nosler makes a 250 grain and 300 grain soft point, those are also a good choice. Pick the one your gun likes best. Again being old school I have a Bianchi 111 Crossdraw for my Smith and Wesson 29 or a kilpatrick cowboy set up for my Vaquero.

contender

Ruger Guru
No problem Big Mak. Now,, since you have opened the discussion about a heavier bullet,, I'll throw in a few more thoughts.
Not a huge selection of jacketed heavy bullets for the 44's are available. BUT,, a bullet caster has all kinds of options.
Not knowing your level of experience,, (but noting the fact you did mention loading for 22 different calibers,) have you thought about a good quality heavy, cast, SWC designed bullet?
If you find a heavier bullet,, say from 260-300 grns that after experimenting for accuracy and velocity, I'd prefer that over most of the commercial types. It's been proven time & time again, that a quality cast slug, of a good SWC design, traveling 1100-1300 fps will most often do a complete pass through on anything in North America & many of the serious critters all over the world.
There's a member here,, (sixshot, who's had issues getting back on due to computer glitches,) who did an African safari in 2021. He used nothing but a handgun, and his own cast & powder coated bullets. Dropped a zebra so fast, the PH didn't see it fall. Dropped a Nalia (spelling) with one shot. And, took a cape buffalo. His first shot,, it went to a knee & nose. He hit it again, and it went down right there. Done for. His PH made him fire an "insurance" shot,, but it wasn't necessary. A cape buffalo has a thicker & tougher hide & muscle than any bear you might encounter. (If you desire to read his complete story,, it's posted over on the singleactions proboards forum. He goes by sixshot there too.)
Of course,, bullet placement is extremely important too.

My point is,, consider your options for your intended purposes! :D

Big Mak

Bearcat
I cast my own bullets! And yes, powder coat too.
I only have a 240 gr mold for 44 mag. I'd like to try a few heavier test bullets (cast) if anyone has 4 or 5 they'd like to toss in the mail.
I could repay you with some fine 45-70 bullets using the Buffalo Arms money bullet in 520 grain. .459 diameter. Lubed. I used 20 to 1 lead for these. I use them in my Shiloh Sharps Montana Roughrider.

Big Mak

Bearcat
FYI I cast 240 grain and powder coat them for my 1962 Ruger 44 carbine pictured here.
Since they are powder coated, there is no lead fouling that is typical with 44 carbines and lead bullets.

i-m4cqgnQ-X3.jpg

I use TMJ bullets for my Dan Wesson 44 mag. Never tried hard cast in this revolver.

i-2X6rfdb-X3.jpg

I looked at my low back Security Sixes, high back Security Sixes, SP101's, GP100's and even LCR's and they all have the same size front sight pins, 1/16" I would guess that Ruger would stay with the same diameter due to ease for tooling and buying in bulk (why spend the money to have different size holes and pins for front sights). My Redhawks and Super Redhawks all have the push button front sights so they were no help. In all my gunsmithing tools I don't have a punch smaller that 1/16".

Big Mak

Bearcat
I looked at my low back Security Sixes, high back Security Sixes, SP101's, GP100's and even LCR's and they all have the same size front sight pins, 1/16" I would guess that Ruger would stay with the same diameter due to ease for tooling and buying in bulk (why spend the money to have different size holes and pins for front sights). My Redhawks and Super Redhawks all have the push button front sights so they were no help. In all my gunsmithing tools I don't have a punch smaller that 1/16".
I'm not sure what a push button front sight is. This is what the Super Redhawk Alaskan has.
It appears to be a roll pin?

i-WvH9RRD-X2.jpg

That is correct, best way to determine what size is to take a roll pin punch and match it up. Roll pin punch sets aren't real expensive and you can get them at most hardware stores.

The "push button" front sight is a, for lack of better words right now, a mortise and tenon type front sight. You push in on a button on the front of the sight and lift the sight blade up and out to change them. They are found on GP100's Redhawks and Super Redhawks.

Last edited:
that front sight is just fine for what it was designed and meant to be used for, and as noted above, they do make 'roll pin; punches so just match up the smaller one,,,, that roll pin you show is larger than the normal 1/16 I pins RUger usually use, and if you cannot see it??? then as noted above simply put a dab of YOUR "favorite coloring" to the downward slope facing you....easy to pickup and will work "easily" in any holster you can come up with, and yes obviously you like to "roll your own"... go for it;)

and as for "in bear country" my two late uncles one from Quebec and one from Montana would always say "who had time to use a front sight....":cool::rolleyes:

May they rest in Peace:)

Last edited:

bwct

Bearcat
I have recently obtained a Denali chest holster from Diamond D Outdoors. I like leather, but so far am happy with this ballistic nylon chest rig. Primarily use it when I'm on a tractor.

Big Mak

Bearcat
Took the Alaskan out to the range and put 24 rds into a target 20 yards away. What a sweet shooter revolver! I was expecting a bigger recoil than my Dan Wesson 44 mag with a 4" barrel, but it was fine!
I shot my own bullets, 225 gr SWC over 23.5 gr of H110 and a standard pistol primer.
I would of taken a pic of the target but the RSO wanted a try at it, so he didn't shoot so good. I claimed all the close groups. :p

JMA

Bearcat
I have one in 454 Casull. Used the factory front sight for years, but just changed it out as I wanted something I could better pick up in low light.

So for you first questions:
A) I ended up choosing the XS Sight Orange Big Dot sight they make for the Alaskan model. So far I have been very happy with my choice.

For this model the rear sight is not a night sight but a standard shallow V for quick acquisition and the front is large orange dot with tritium insert. I like the style of the sights as I have similar one in my 9mm in a different colour. Although I have to add that the factory ramp sight is prettier but that is subjective.

I am sure the HiViz one is a good one too. They make good products and I have only heard good things about those sights.

B) I can confirm that to your original question that the pin was 1/16" size. You will have drill a hole for the replacement sight which ever model/make you choose.

For your second questions I dont shoot 44 mag so haven't reloaded it myself and I will refer to more experienced people for those recommendations.

Thirdly:
I carry mine on my hip in a two different custom kydex holsters. Had a leather one first, but it was not heavy duty enough to properly support the gun. On the hip its a little too much on an IWB holster (tried hunting with one just to know… yes I know some things you don't need to try in order to know if it could work) but a sturdy OWB holster will do the job. But you will feel it after a long days walk. Most noticable as you empty the holster and the weight is lifted, otherwise I sort of forget its there.

I don't use a chest rig as I mostly carry a backbag on me and I feel it is in the way. I'm sure it is more comfortable thou, but I would look at the suggested heavy duty leather grade ones for that type of holster.

JMA

Bearcat
And congrats on your new gun! They are sweet shooters. I love shooting mine on the range. And its a comfort to carry in bear country.