Pics added. Is this a factory old Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

71shooter

Single-Sixer
I need to move a few guns, and I'm wondering if one I have is factory original or custom:

Old Style 5.5 inch Bisley vaquero 45 Colt That has a very bright deluxe blue with no CCH (not over buffed, but shiney). The gun has a 57 prefix and Ruger says it was made in 2000. What really makes me think it is custom is that the warning paragraph is on the bottom of the barrel, and I thought Ruger did not start doing this until along about the time the new vaqueros came out about 5 years later. The gun is not particularly tight in anyway, as the trigger seems factory, the throats are all about .450-.451", the B-C gap is on the wide end at .008", and it has a loose fitting (within normal) factory base pin. Passes range rod test. I can post picks later sometime if that helps, but figured someone in this crown might know if it could be factory. Box has a white label. Thanks!

P.S. I posted this on single actions.com as well so I can get the biggest number of folks who know about these things to see it.

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1307.jpeg
    IMG_1307.jpeg
    297.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1308.jpeg
    IMG_1308.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_1310.jpeg
    IMG_1310.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1311.jpeg
    IMG_1311.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 126

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
A picture of the end of the box would be very helpful as well. As long as its the original box to the gun. It would have the model number and matching serial number. I really liked the original Vaquero and don't remember a version like that, but they made a bunch of special ones and its been a great number of years.

contender

Ruger Guru
The model nomenclature says it was a "blue Ruger Bisley New Model Vaquero with the color case finish cylinder frame."

And from looking at the pictures,, it appears to having been re-blued.

As for the warning billboard,, it's also possible a barrel was replaced.

G2

Hunter
There was a time when Ruger would replace the faux finish with a re-blue when the faux failed, like a lot of them did.

As for the bottom warning on the barrel, as mentioned it could have been changed out at the same time as the re-do.

Either way it looks nice, has period correct grips & carbon hammer/ trigger.

A call and/or letter to Ruger "might" get you some answers to your curiosity.

contender

Ruger Guru
I do not think the reblue is factory.
The quality of the polishing is not to factory standards. I see dished out areas around the pins. Ruger does a better job than that.
And if someone replaced the barrel, they either used a later produced factory barrel, or re-cut the threads to fit. My guess would be a replacement barrel,, because to re-cut the threads and set back the barrel usually would not reposition the warning,, AND it can also cause the ERH to need cutting.

When asking for the letter, list the desire to know if the factory did a reblue.

reblued and rebarreled good luck in finding out by "who, whomever" as they don't letter "service" as far as I know of , never could help us in that department...can you find out any 'history, background', from who you got the gun from?? I know a few years back we had refinished a few Vaqueros that their "faux" color faded or actually disappeared, do not recall doing a Bisley version but all that is history no pictures, no records, I even asked Walt my partner back then...besides if we rebarreld or altered the barrel ( cutdown) we removed the "warning", never put on a new style barrel ,never got any from Newport....nice looking gun really, I like it........(y)(y)

OH well I guess I did save the last one.............almost forgot......

Attachments

• BNVB-44 W ang.JPG
    BNVB-44 W ang.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Vaq 45.JPG
    Vaq 45.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, definitely re-barreled. I also see a Newport address on the barrel. Ruger didn't change the address to the bottom of the barrel until well after the New Vaquero was out. Only the older Vaqueros involved in the cleanup run have rollmarks on the bottom of the barrel (58-96xxx and up).
Chet15

gotta be careful what you pick up at any shop never may know just WHAT it really is............

trying to remember "why" we did this for somebody..........:unsure:;)

Attachments

• Vaq 45 spcl bl w grips.JPG
    Vaq 45 spcl bl w grips.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Vaq 45 spcl eng w grips.JPG
    Vaq 45 spcl eng w grips.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Vaq 45 spcl.JPG
    Vaq 45 spcl.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts