Picking a "Simple" 22 Semi-Auto

Help Support Ruger Forum:

toysoldier

Hunter
The 1950's-produced Beretta Plinkster is a delightful little .22, very easy to disassemble. It's a .22 version of the 1934 military pistol. I inherited one from my father-in-law, and passed it on to my daughter.
Of course, they're near as scarce as hen's teeth, as are magazines.

sc3283

Bearcat
I love my Mk3 22/45...flawless so far...500 rounds fired through it..not 1 jamb or misfire. I can not compare to a MK2...I have never owned 1

mljones,

the MKIII is really not that hard to break down once you learn the secret, which is you have to push the internal hammer to the right place and not rely on gravity to let it fall forward or backwards. (that's the part in the instructions where they say point the barrel up or down and pull the trigger.

As for gun cleaning.... the worse job I ever had was when i took a Ruger Security Six Revolver down to the trigger mech... I didn't think I was ever going to get it back together... luckily I have two of these and could compare.

Well actually I lie, the absolute worse was when i took the Trigger Mech for my Sig apart... that took me two weeks to get back together.... in all honesty it only took about 8 hours total.

I love my MKIII, and I know you don't want to hear it, but I just don't clean it now.. haven't for a couple thousand rounds... I just spray some break free in the bolt area when it starts to jam and keep on going.... I want to see how long I can do this for.

js5972

Bearcat
mljones,
I had a similar dilemna when shopping for a .22 semi. I asked around a lot and everyone said to go with the Ruger no matter. I did consider the S&W 10 shot revolver until I got to the part about the price. Anyway, I now own and clean a Mk 3 Target and Mk 3 Standard. I would suggest that you read the instruction book and watch the video on the Ruger website to see if you have the patience!
Here are a couple of hints: 1. Use WD-40 (with the straw) as a solvent. Let it soak for a few minutes and blast all the gunk out with "canned air."
2.You don't need to take the barrel off every time you clean; just remove the bolt. Everything except for one spring is accessible.
3. Shoot plated ammo.
Enjoy!
JOHN

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
you will have a lot of fun shooting a ruger automatic. i say don't worry about it and go ahead and get one. i wouldn't worry about mark II or mark III either. I own two 22/45's, one mark II, one mark III. had to remove the LCI on the mark III, but now they both run like tops.

takedown is a bit of a pain. but you learn how to do it. its really not a complex gun. in fact, the guy i bought the 22/45 mark II from thought that it was non-functional. once i put it back together correctly and ran a patch down the barrel, it works like new.

i love my revolvers, but i shoot these .22 autos more than anything else i own.