P95 recoil springs?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

welder

Buckeye
Yes they did sell. Maybe they are old school but the P series is one I happen to really like. I forgot to add my P90 to my earlier post. I own numerous copies of the P guns and would like more, that is if Ruger supports them. I may be ranting a bit but that's how I feel about the thing. There are a blue million P guns out there and I'm not sure I'd ever buy any excuse from Ruger as to why they are distancing themselves from a sturdy reliable product? Still..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
welder said:
I picked up another new one this week. I have three now and a P94 9mm. If Ruger says the P95 parts are obsolete, then I will seriously consider never buying a Ruger anything again. Just ticks me off. I'm not sure what they are up to but as someone else said, there are still new P guns out there for sale. I'm wondering, why did Wolff drop them? I like my P guns and want to be able to support them for a long time. :evil:
I see P parts for sale on the Ruger website. Furthermore, I believe that Ruger will service the pistols and have a small reserve of parts to repair out of production models. Additionally, Wolff sells the recoil springs for all except for the P95. This same debate is going on with other manufactures who are changing models for increased sales and profit. Such is the case of the Sig 225 and other Sig models, which are no longer made. I guess manufactures will build and support products based on economic viability. Just a question, did you get a killer deal on the recent P95 purchase because the seller realizes that it is an obsolete model?? If you did, it is still a good deal because it will run for a long time without breaking.

welder

Buckeye
I traded a slightly used Kahr CW9 for my latest P95, I had about 300.00 bucks in the Kahr so pretty much a wash for the Ruger. Traded with one of my regular range buddies who found the Ruger too big and bulky for his taste. Had exactly two magazines through it, I handed him the Kahr and the deal was made.
I realize discontinuing parts for a truly obsolete gun is prudent, but no one would say the P95 is obsolete, well except for maybe Ruger? If the springs were difficult to make or expensive to keep in inventory I'd accept it but we're talking about a two dollar part.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Keep in mind the p95 was a budget gun and in the event it can't be fixed Ruger will give you something else. Ruger parts stock fluctuates so much that one day they may have the part next they don't and a week later it's back. Many companies sell parts to deplete inventory, not because the gun will really need those parts.

Also even though the p series sold fairly well, and I love mine, They were not the bread and butter the 10/22, the GP100 or the MK .22 pistols are. Ruger can't afford to stock inventory for guns that don't break during normal use when that gun has better replacements. The p series design was non continuing in design, where as the SR and 1911s will continue to be improved upon.

And frankly unless you are like most of us P nuts you would never consider the p series. Ruger knew what was popular and went that way.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
I called Ruger. No recoil springs or guide rods for P95 or P94 9mm would be sold to me. Also, they would not sell me an ejector for a P95. Wolff does not make recoil springs for the P95 or the P94 9mm.

MountainWalker said:
I see P parts for sale on the Ruger website. Furthermore, I believe that Ruger will service the pistols and have a small reserve of parts to repair out of production models. Additionally, Wolff sells the recoil springs for all except for the P95. This same debate is going on with other manufactures who are changing models for increased sales and profit. Such is the case of the Sig 225 and other Sig models, which are no longer made. I guess manufactures will build and support products based on economic viability. Just a question, did you get a killer deal on the recent P95 purchase because the seller realizes that it is an obsolete model?? If you did, it is still a good deal because it will run for a long time without breaking.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
That's quite irritating. I evaluate a gun not just on its own merits but also on the availability of parts; either OEM or aftermarket. A gun becomes very unattractive to me when the maker won't sell me a $2.00 part that requires no fitting or special expertise to install. I agree that Ruger is very good about fixing guns for free but I hate sending guns out for repair and would rather fix it myself, even if I have to buy the parts.

One reason why certain guns are overwhelmingly popular is that parts are all over the place and anyone can build one or keep it running. Glock, 1911, Kalashnikov, AR-15; these guns are very owner friendly and there is no need to worry about whether the OEM is going to help you out or not. As much as I really like my SR9c I hate the idea that I'm entirely at Ruger's mercy if it needs any kind of parts or repair. A few minutes on the internet and I can get any Glock part I need, OEM or aftermarket. Ruger isn't the only manufacturer that acts like this but it's still not ok.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Keep in mind that Ruger is still selling the outer recoil spring and replenishing that one could keep a P95 going for quite a while. Those P95 owners might want to pick up one.

welder

Buckeye
FergusonTO35 said:
That's quite irritating. I evaluate a gun not just on its own merits but also on the availability of parts; either OEM or aftermarket. A gun becomes very unattractive to me when the maker won't sell me a $2.00 part that requires no fitting or special expertise to install. I agree that Ruger is very good about fixing guns for free but I hate sending guns out for repair and would rather fix it myself, even if I have to buy the parts.

One reason why certain guns are overwhelmingly popular is that parts are all over the place and anyone can build one or keep it running. Glock, 1911, Kalashnikov, AR-15; these guns are very owner friendly and there is no need to worry about whether the OEM is going to help you out or not. As much as I really like my SR9c I hate the idea that I'm entirely at Ruger's mercy if it needs any kind of parts or repair. A few minutes on the internet and I can get any Glock part I need, OEM or aftermarket. Ruger isn't the only manufacturer that acts like this but it's still not ok.

I am in complete agreement with this post.

I still wonder, why is Wolff not stocking them?

roylt

Hunter
I have had A LOT of P-guns and all were used when I got them and ran great. I have never replaced a part that was worn out. I have replaced parts that were rusted away.

I bet Wolff doesn't want to carry them because there is no need / no money in it. Why stock something that won't sell.

Has anyone on here needed to replace a spring yet or just wants one incase they need to. By the time the spring wears out on mine I will be dead and gone.

I have never replaced a mag spring either...

modrifle3

Buckeye
Yeah I have never seen a broken p series except the p97s frame which will crack if dropped on concrete. As mine did.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
They are not selling the outer spring. It was on their webpage but when you clicked on it it said out of stock. Now it's not even there at all.

MountainWalker said:
Keep in mind that Ruger is still selling the outer recoil spring and replenishing that one could keep a P95 going for quite a while. Those P95 owners might want to pick up one.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
Does anyone own a P94 9mm and a P89 9mm? I can't imagine the dimensions and power of the two recoil springs would be different. I wonder if a P89 recoil spring would work on a P94.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
modrifle3 said:
Yeah I have never seen a broken p series except the p97s frame which will crack if dropped on concrete. As mine did.
They drop Glocks out of Helicopters several hundred feet onto the tarmac to test them. I wonder if frames have cracked.

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
SteveSatch said:
They are not selling the outer spring. It was on their webpage but when you clicked on it it said out of stock. Now it's not even there at all.

MountainWalker said:

I ordered three P95 outer springs yesterday from Ruger's website which said, "Out of Stock". Figured what the heck, I'll give it a try and see if I can get a back-order. Got a phone call from a nice lady today saying they were no longer available. Oh well... I told her that the P95 is a great pistol and we need parts and to let the powers that be know that. She said she would.

Guess it's GunBroker and a parts gun....

The Preacher

modrifle3

Buckeye
All of this makes me consider selling my p90 97 345 and 20 mags to fund a new 1911

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Sadly I may end up with nothin' but Glock for high volume autoloaders. I love being able to order everything I need from any one of numerous sellers for a modest cost.

welder

Buckeye
Guys, I'm with you.
I have refrained from posting much more on this for fear of being accused of ranting, but it chaps my rear end that I have a safe full of Ruger guns and a company that is willing to withdraw support in the way of spare parts for some of them. I had planned on picking up another Mini 14 this month and maybe my first American. That's out now.
I have one 1911 and a couple Glocks that I appreciate a bit more . I am considering selling all my P guns and the half dozen mags I have for each of them and moving on to all Glock or S&W. Maybe even get that XDm I've admired for a while.
The P95 may never need anything in the way of parts but that's beside the point. It's principle and I am disappointed in Ruger for their willingness to forget those of us who have bought their stuff for years and were quite happy to do so. Better stop here lest I get too warmed up over this just now.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I am with you ... It pisses me off that Ruger does this. However they will replace a gun they can't fix. I wish they would at least keep springs, extractors and slide stops.

welder

Buckeye
Yes.
I don't expect them to stock everything, just a few essentials. I would have appreciated a notice on their web page saying that they were gonna stop stocking these parts so as to have had a chance to stock up. I would have liked the chance to spend some money with them on some extractors, springs, slide stops, whatever. But to just announce that the guns they were selling weeks ago are now obsolete is unacceptable to me. I'm going to do the "e-mail to the CEO" thing and see what happens. I'll report what I hear back should they respond.
I exchanged many e-mails with Coffeepot on these guns and came to really appreciate their qualities along with the history he shared with me. I guess that's why I'm probably a bit more agitated than would seem appropriate to some. Oh well...