P89 underated

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wvshooter

Bearcat
Just bought a P89, my first, and I am very impressed. Maybe I'm a cave man but I like this gun better than my CZ's, Glocks, Smiths, and Sigs. Everyone calls it a truck gun but I've got an Alien Gear holster coming and I'm going to carry this thing. Hey, it's lighter than my 5906.

roylt

Hunter
Welcome to the group. P89DC was my first gun. P-guns can be addictive... Just a warning...

Yes, I'm a P-nut. Keep the P-guns alive!!

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
WV ... Welcome to the forum & congrats on your "new to you" P89. You've added a fine pistol to your collection :)

mexicanjoe

Single-Sixer
I've shot against others who brought their, Sigs, Glocks, and Smiths at a firearms instructors course . Guess who had NO misfires, jams, or problems??? This guy!!! A P-89 will feed any ammo thrown to it, including ammo that will damage a dainty Sig!!!! I carried a p-85 , and. P-90 on duty with no issues.... I was the only deputy at times in a 1320 sq. mile jurisdiction, carried a Ruger with confidence !!!!!!!!!

revhigh

Hawkeye
LOL ... Dainty Sigs ... ROFLMAO.

There's not a P89 on the planet that will compete with a Sig 226 given the same capable shooters.

REV

wvshooter

Bearcat
The P series has been on my radar for some time. Glad I finally bought one. This particular gun was in it's original case with all the original papers. Upon examination it looked like it had never been fired so it's pretty much a new gun.

As for the ergos I do prefer a full size handgun and it's certainly full size. Probably has something to do with my large hands. I like the old school hammer and the decocking DA/SA trigger. Speaking of the trigger it's not bad considering the lack of rounds downrange. Looking forward to breaking it in.

Osage

Bearcat
wvshooter:

Not intended to add to a "my gun is better than your gun", I have two favorite 9mm's, both are extremely dependable, however one is considerably more accurate, while the other has more of the desired features, i.e., push-button mag release and double stack capacity.

Just so you know, one is a Walther P5 and the other is a Ruger Special Edition P89, needless to say neither are for sale.

Osage

Osage

Bearcat
MexicanJoe:
As you so accurately stated the P-series Rugers are an excellent choice of semi-auto handguns regarding durability and reliability, however IMHO, if a Sig is a Chevy, then a German made Walther is a Rolls-Royce :).

Osage

revhigh

Hawkeye
Osage said:
MexicanJoe:
As you so accurately stated the P-series Rugers are an excellent choice of semi-auto handguns regarding durability and reliability, however IMHO, if a Sig is a Chevy, then a German made Walther is a Rolls-Royce :).

Osage

More like the Ruger is a Chevy, the Sig is a BMW, and the P5 is a Mercedes.

The Sig 225/P6 is far less ammo sensitive, is ergonomically better to most users, has a better trigger, and is far less expensive. The P 5 is prettier, more refined, and more elegant. There's probably not a lick of difference in accuracy between thecSig and the Walther. There's a WORLDof difference between the Sig or Walther and the Ruger.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
blume357 said:
Dern you guys...now I went and started looking and drooling over a Sig p226.... but I'm not quite sure when I'll have a spare grand sitting around.

Check CDNN ... I got a 20 year old P226 that looked like it had never been touched for $399 ... Previously used by the W Germann police. Probably sat in a desk drawer for most of those 20 years. Also got a P6 (225) for $249. This was a few years ago though. They are spectacular guns with accuracy like you'd never believe ... Especially if you're used to P series guns. The CZ75's are virtually as good in terms of accuracy.

Good Luck

REV

bigfuzzy

Bearcat
My p89 that I bought in the early 90s has never failed me. the only time it didn't fire was when
I tried to run some surplus machine gun ammo through it. it is very seldom cleaned & has never failed me. it rattles when you shake it also. not a target gun, but would pick it up if I needed a gun
to shoot something.

blume357 said:
Dern you guys...now I went and started looking and drooling over a Sig p226.... but I'm not quite sure when I'll have a spare grand sitting around.

I've never spent anywhere near a grand for any of my Sigs.

The deals are out there.

It might be more difficult to find the $300 range Sig pistols still, but for a realistic current market price, $480-$650 is VERY possible.

gunman42782

Hunter
Have owned many P series guns over the years, P89, P95, P90, etc. My first centerfire pistol was a P89. None of those guns ever, not one time jammed. Still have a P95 and am confident to say it's had over 10,000 rounds through it. If it ever jammed I don't remember it!

revhigh

Hawkeye
I think it's pretty funny that when people talk about their P guns all they generally say is that they never jammed ... Never any talk about accuracy, ergonomics, weight, build quality, machining quality, etc ... It's always ... I can't remember when they ever jammed.

If that's your only criteria for a SA (which for many it seems to be) ... You have the right gun for you with your P gun ...

My standards for a SA go WAY beyond 'They never jammed'. An occasional jam, which is usually caused by ammo anyway ... Is no big deal if you're a gun person and know how to deal with it. Most any gun ... If it's built loose enough ... With very large tolerances ... Will never jam .... Of course ... They'll have a hard time shooting good groups as well ... Which is the number one reason for shooters dumping their P series guns. If your only need is to hit a chest size target at 7-10 yards ... They work just great, and that's a valid reason to own them. If you shoot for group size, which is pretty much All 99.9999% of gun owners will ever do, compared to SD ... You run out of useable accuracy REALLY quick with P guns, with the notable exception of the P90.

REV

gunman42782

Hunter
This is the very first group I ever fired from my P95. It was at 20 yards. Don't know about you, but that is plenty accurate enough for my needs.

revhigh

Hawkeye
gunman42782 said:
This is the very first group I ever fired from my P95. It was at 20 yards. Don't know about you, but that is plenty accurate enough for my needs.

Correction ... They only talk about them never jamming ... until somebody points out that they only talk about them never jamming .... Then they talk about the other stuff that other people say they look for in a SA ... :D

Good shooting BTW !

REV

Osage

Bearcat
For those who own or are interested in the P89, IMHO they are very underrated. If a firearm "jams" with all shooters, the problem is the firearm. If accuracy is the problem for some shooters, then its most likely the shooter. The difference in accuracy between my Walther P5 and my Ruger P89 might be noticeable at the target range, but is not enough to support human life. Simply put the push-button mag release and 16rd capacity puts the P89 as the go-to firearm for personal defense.

Osage