Outers.38/357 brass brush questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Morning, hope you all had Merry Christmas. I have an outers gun cleaning kit as pictured. Probably decade old unused. Wondering how is the quality of the brass .38/357 brushes, is there a certian brand or style that is gold standard for brushes one should invest in for cleaning? Also should said brushes be replaced after certian amount of time or use?

Enigma

Hunter
The standard bore brushes that you buy at Walmart or the gun shop don't last long. I order bore brushes by the dozen from Brownells or somewhere. Their 'Double Tuff' brushes are the ones I normally buy.

FLgun

Single-Sixer
The standard bore brushes that you buy at Walmart or the gun shop don't last long. I order bore brushes by the dozen from Brownells or somewhere. Their 'Double Tuff' brushes are the ones I normally buy
The standard bore brushes that you buy at Walmart or the gun shop don't last long. I order bore brushes by the dozen from Brownells or somewhere. Their 'Double Tuff' brushes are the ones I normally buy
Thank you. I'll have to look into those

I like the Hoppes (or other brands) stainless steel "Tornado" brushes. Tough and work great.

FLgun, If I am not happy with the cleaning action of the .38/.357 brushes I go up one size to have a nice tight fit in the bore and cylinder chambers, ie, for a .38/.357 I use a .41 cal brush (or even a .44 brush). I have not found that it causes any problems with my Six series, GP's or SP's.

the makers ( engineers) of the various "brush companies" will tell you , use the proper sized brush for the caliber ( bore size) the bristles are "supposed" to be standing straight, more UP ward, to work properly going back and forth, NOT "Laying down" as the next sized up will do.....and thats how a brush works, boys and girls......:cool:;)

and yes, the tornado brushes to ME are more pleasant, easier to use.... ;)

and any old, worn down brushes are great for cleaning around the inside of the cylinder frame, top front, around the barrel breech...........

Last edited:
I also buy brushes in bulk. I try to buy known brands, but it doesn't seem to matter. Brushes do wear out. As long as they fit my bore with some obvious resistance, they seem to be okay. When they get loose, they are done. But even then, they don't necessarily get tossed. They may just fit the chamber or bore of a smaller caliber.

Latest posts