Ontario Fly In

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Just got back from our annual Ontario fly in. Lost count of how many times I have been up, mostly with my fishing partner, but this was my daughters 10th consecutive trip trip up. She is 21 now, still enjoys it, and wants to continue. I just cherish every minute.

DeHaviland Turbo Beaver
DSCN0518_zpscle3qxy7.jpg

One of our better northerns for the week.

DSCN0500_zpsbzx7xyin.jpg

landing a northern in the rapids
DSCN0481_zpsfzl4sonx.jpg

she got this nice smallie right off the dock
DSCN0511_zpsf2utjhie.jpg

Likes to read.even while trolling….
DSCN0461_zpshbt5nwqc.jpg

DSCN0513_zpsixf9yzhm.jpg

Fishing below the falls.
DSCN0453_zpsvw18pidb.jpg

DSCN0460_zpsrg0cxwmk.jpg

We got this double while trolling below the falls so netted them both together

DSCN0457_zpsorz8qg9q.jpg

Weather ranged from sunny and warm to downright cold
DSCN0517_zpslhzvybbv.jpg

DSCN0495_zpselttowlo.jpg

45Colt_Man

Blackhawk
Judging by the constant grin on your daughters face I do believe she thoroughly enjoyed that trip. :lol:
Congrats on time spent with her.

Dana

32shooter

Blackhawk
Looks like she was having a blast. I have been after my Daughter to go along on a fly-in but have not been able to convince her to go. She has been to Canada fishing but not a fly-in. I will be going up the last week of August again this year. Those are some nice smallies - we have no smallies where we go, too far north.

JMB2

Bearcat
I have done a fly-in trip one time, one of the best vacations ever. I really need to go back. If you don't mind me asking who was the outfitter?

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
JMB2 said:
I have done a fly-in trip one time, one of the best vacations ever. I really need to go back. If you don't mind me asking who was the outfitter?

No problem at all. We have used this same outfitter for the past 5 years. Before that we used his Dad for about as long. Good people with quality lakes and equipment. :wink:

http://gatewaynorthoutfitters.net/

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
Wyandot Jim said:
WOW What a great trip that has to be. Both in fishing and togetherness.
Nice looking Bronzebacks. No Dorie/Walleye

Jim I was hoping you would chime in, but was expecting you to comment with some info on the Turbo Beaver. That thing could carry a ton and took off almost as soon as he gunned it. Do you have anything you can share about them?

And oh ya - we caught de walleyes too, eh.
DSCN0487_zpsdif1fxtz.jpg

DSCN0485_zpszqmiw4gg.jpg

stevemb

Hunter
I'd say you are a lucky man, but that wouldn't be true. Obviously you spent a lot of time and love on the little lady and you earned that so special time !

Roland,
I don't know how familiar you are with the Beaver. All I can say is What a Fantastic Aeroplane. Now you take out the P&W 985, 450HP radial and install a 680HP Turbine and it really makes a great plane unbelievable. Plus all the other modes that were made to the wings and tail. I do believe it gets off the water in 1000' at gross weight and amphibious floats. So if you were light even better.
It is a real shame we left so many of them in Viet Nam when we left.

Now about the fishing. This is my FISH story and I'm sticking with it :D
In 1970 I was assigned to a project just outside of Montreal Canada and lived in a log house in a small French-English community. On July 4th weekend, Yes they have a July 4th, my neighbors asked me if I wanted to go up North for Trophy Pike Fishing. Well I knew I brought my rods and reels here for a reason :wink:
So we load up camping gear and small boats and square back cones and head WAY up North. The secret location was close to Val-D-Or about 300 miles of paved road then 25 miles of bush road. The river that we camped by was just beautiful drank the water out of it and it kept the beer cold. It also fed some small and large lakes.
So in the day we would fish for Pike which some were 36"-40" . Then on the way back to camp we would stop and catch Walleye/Dorey for dinner and breakfast. It might just have been the atmosphere but I think the Wallies are one of the best eating fish there are.
My big mistake was not keeping one of the Pike to have mounted like the others did. The one neighbor was a armature taxidermist and would have done it for me.
Since I had fished a lot in the Gulf of Mexico and had caught a bunch of BIG fish it wasn't any big deal. Wrongggggggggggg :oops:
Anyway all fishing is great this fishing was really great. I just might have to go buy some Red Devils and head Way up North :D :D :D
Thanks for the memories.
Jim