OM Single six shooter - clean up?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
I have a 1972 Ruger Single Six .22 that I recently picked up. Was a convertible but only came with the .22 lr cylinder Which is ok by me because I just picked it up as a shooter ( It's my first 5 1/2 " barreled ss) Mechanically it is pretty sound but the bluing is pretty rubbed off and has a lot of that gun metal gray/brown look to it especially the cylinder. Now I know it will never be a collectors item but my question is this.
If I ever want to sell it in the future should I not bother touching up the bluing or re-bluing it & keep it as I got it ?
I guess what I mean is, if I pretty it up will it loose what ever value it had or would it be an improvement? I have a number of Old Collectable WWI & II pistols & I know not to mess with them & leave them as found. Just wondering if this hold true for the "not too distant past" Rugers?

Single-Sixer
Once you ensure that it has no collector value due to being a rare variant or something, then I'd by all means clean it up and enjoy it as it was intended. Good luck.

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
461 said:
Once you ensure that it has no collector value due to being a rare variant or something, then I'd by all means clean it up and enjoy it as it was intended. Good luck.

I checked it with Ruger Records Just a plain RSS5X from June 1972 So I'm missing the 22 mag cyl. and if it is just a boring grey/ brown ( has nice walunt grips however with the black SR Eagle) Feels real nice in the hand. Just want to get back what I paid for it some day ( $280) Maybe it was too high a price?

contender

Ruger Guru
I'd leave it as is. The aged patina is very nice, and a reblued gun will be a reblued gun. If you take care of it, it'll give you great service, and you'll still be able to get your money out of it.

DGW1949

Hunter
contender said:
I'd leave it as is. The aged patina is very nice, and a reblued gun will be a reblued gun. If you take care of it, it'll give you great service, and you'll still be able to get your money out of it.

Them's my thoughts also.

DGW

Ladobe

Single-Sixer
Opinons are going to vary, and rightly so... to each his own.

Mine is that a revolver that was issued as a convertable and does not have both of its original cylinders is not high on the list of collectable Rugers. IOW, as an old model it would have some collectable value maybe, but not as high of value as one that still has both of its issued cylinders.

Case in point... I have your revolvers big brother so to speak. A circa 1969 5 1/2" (20-218XX )that only has the 22MAG cylinder with it. That's all it had when I bought it. I have not called Ruger to confirm that it was issued as a convertable (which I will as I'm going to sell it), but I have to assume it was. To further cloud the issue with mine, while it doesn't show any of the tell tale signs of having been refinished/re blued, it's in too good of condition to be a 40 year old revolver that saw any use at all. Looks almost like new IOW.

FWIW

rugeromss.jpg

DGNY

Bearcat
By all means, do what makes you happy. If that is inspecting for any safety issues, cleaning and lubricating, great. If that is inspecting, cleaning up with light oil and some 9999 steel wool or 300/600 wet or dry paper and touching up the blueing with some Oxpho or equivalent, go for it.

I have finally given myself permission to fool with some of my shooter grade guns, and have foresworn my "total preservation as-is" phase.

In my view, there is no truly "right" way with a shooter grade in a non-collectible gun. I have rarely had second thoughts; but that, too, can be a worthy lesson.

Regards,

Dyson

JWFilips

Single-Sixer
Well I'm probably not going to be selling it anytime soon because I took it out to the range and fired it for the first time since I got it & Whow........... this thing shoots fantastic. I swear it shoots better then any of my other OM single sixes! Being the newest age wise of my OMSS & looking at the wear on it I never figured it to be an "ace in the hole" I can tell you that it shot better then a few of my standard MK Is
My first impression when loading it for the first time and the shells fell in way too easy in the cylinder ( enough for me to give the cylinder a double take thinking it may be a .22 mag) It was the .22lr cylinder and the looseness of the shells had me both worried & troubled it was going to be junk. Man what a surprise....not to mention that 5 1/2" barrel hold real nice.
After firing the empty brass looked good nothing unusual. So yes this is a shooter. I don't know why but it is

DGNY

Bearcat
What a great post. This is what everyone hopes for - a diamond in the rough. Never mind just fixing it up - have it engraved with steerhead ivory grips!

Congratulations to you!

Regards,

Dyson

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
If I had the gun I would take it apart and do a good internal cleaning and lubeing then just enjoy the gun as it is. Refinishing a gun does detract from it's value. But if the gun is a good shooter the value wouldn't matter to me because I wouldn't ever get rid of it.

Latest posts