OM Brassie SN Range/Time Frame

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
OK, the search feature here has been deadlined all day for me and I did a google search with no definative results so I am going to ask a question that I know has been asked 1M times. I apologize in advance.

What is SN range or time frame for factory brass grip frames? I know all OM, except .30 Carbine, had some factory equipped but I can not line up the time frame across models to correspond to SN range for each caliber. I also know that the factory records is the only guaranteed verification but I am hoping that I can definetively rule some out and only follow up on the "possibilities".

Happy New Year.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
John Dougan's lastest book on Rugers , "Ruger pistols and revolvers" has most of the brass frames listed by caliber and SN. Of course, as you mentioned the factory should have the most definitive information on one particular SN but I have referenced the book on numerous times for quick info.

A short answer is 1968-73 with most falling near the later years.

contender

Ruger Guru
In the catalogs of the era, I didn't find any reference to brass grip frames until 1971. Then they were just listed as an accessory in the parts on the dealer price sheet. In 1972, the Old Army is listed as shipping with the brass grip frame. That's from the published catalogs.
From the factory letters, most would letter from 1972-1974. (The OA has shipped after the NM's with brass grip frames.)
As noted above, you can get a good idea from Dougan's book, and do a cross reference with the RENE guide as to when one was shipped. But the only way to tell for sure is to get a factory letter.

FLUndertaker

Bearcat
Thank you gentlemen for the replies. I have a OM .45 with a brass frame I am trying legitimize. Its a 1971 gun 027XX so it appears doubtful but the fun is in the hunt.

JCW64

Single-Sixer
A quick look in Dougan's book shows the lowest numbered 45 to be 45-07204 and the highest 45-21488 with a total of 617 guns between.

Latest posts