Bisley Vaquero range time

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
I shot some 950fps handloads 250gr Keith over IMR4227,
I tried some 200gr CorBon +p 200gr JHP and shot 6 of the 325gr Doubletap WFN +p. Those 200gr JHP felt about like the 250gr handloads did. The 325gr WFN will beat you up if you do not grip the gun right. The handloads shot pretty good group center mass. 200gr JHP shot low left and 325gr WFN shot a good group 3" low of point of aim but centered at 20yds

contender

Ruger Guru
Don, kinda figured it was a .45 Colt. But since some folks aren't as versed in our beloved Rugers & the variations,, I had to ask. I'm a BIG fan of the .45 Colt in ALL variations!

dobegrant.45,, you have a great gun,, but I'd bet money it's not an "Old Model."

POLITELY,
Ruger stopped making the Old Models in 1973. The New Models with the safety transfer bar came along then. The Vaquero's came along well after that. There are "Original" Vaquero's, and New Vaquero's. We can thank Ruger for creating confusion on terminology.

Don, kinda figured it was a .45 Colt. But since some folks aren't as versed in our beloved Rugers & the variations,, I had to ask. I'm a BIG fan of the .45 Colt in ALL variations!

dobegrant.45,, you have a great gun,, but I'd bet money it's not an "Old Model."

POLITELY,
Ruger stopped making the Old Models in 1973. The New Models with the safety transfer bar came along then. The Vaquero's came along well after that. There are "Original" Vaquero's, and New Vaquero's. We can thank Ruger for creating confusion on terminology.
I meant first version Vaquero, larger frame than the later Vaqueros

Don Lovel

Hunter
I own a 7 1/2" Bisley Blackhawk that I bought when they first became available. I like the balance of the 5 1/2" barrel on my BV better. First time I hunted with that big Bisley I shot a big doe in northern Missouri late season cold snowing.
300gr JSP at 75yds drt. I have shot a total of 9 deer with that gun. All one shot drt with farthest 120yds.
there has been alot of articles written on big frame Vaqueros and heavy 45 Colt ammo
It helps if you learn how to shoot a big bore well which means soaking some recoil

Latest posts