Old Model Single Six SC-6 22/22 mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JAF

Bearcat
Have a Ruger letter on the above Single Six,Serial# 60-868xx.It is a Super Single Six and now has a 4 5/8 barrel. Any way to tell if it came from factory with this barrel? Thanks.

street

Hunter
Take a picture of the letter and post it please. If the letter calls your Super Single-Six a "SC6" then it was shipped from the factory with a 6 1/2 in. bl.!!!!!

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51390

JAF

Bearcat
Yes, the Ruger letter states model SC-6, shipped in March 1972.Also noticed that front sight is not flush with end of muzzle.Muzzle is well finished. Is it known when the rare 4 5/8 barreled Supers were shipped? Thanks Buckeye for your help.

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
My guess is that it started life as a 6-1/2" barrel, and either the previous owner had it cut down and recrowned, or had a 4-5/8" barrel put on it.

Just saw a gun that got me really excited in a gun shop. Looked like an OM flat top with factory ivory grips.

Closer inspection showed it had been re-blued and not well, sported a new model barrel with factory warning, and the grips were plastic and had been artfully carved, and colored to look like old cracked ivories. It even had the correct medallion inserted. It was in a glass case, and when I asked to see it the gun shop owner warned me about it, saying it ain't what it appears to be, a real "caveat emptor".

He carefully pointed out all the anomalies, said he bought it more as a curiosity and to show people what to be careful of.

hittman

Staff member
Subscribe to the Red Eagle News Exchange

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30544

street

Hunter
JAF said:
Yes, the Ruger letter states model SC-6, shipped in March 1972.Also noticed that front sight is not flush with end of muzzle.Muzzle is well finished. Is it known when the rare 4 5/8 barreled Supers were shipped? Thanks Buckeye for your help.
The known SC4 Super Single-Sixes with the 4 5/8 in barrel, serial number range 508374 - 509716. About 197 made and they would have been shipped in 1965. There has been one 4 5/8 in. gun made with a 61- prefix for a Ruger executive. So far that is the only one known with a digit prefix serial number.

ALL INFORMATION COMES FROM THE RENE.

JAF

Bearcat
Thanks,Buckeye, for the info. I will subscribe to RENE in case I need info in future.