Off center primer strikes -Redhawk??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
I was shooting my 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk stainless along with my S&W 629 this morning. Sighted in the S&W no problem, but was having major issues holding a group with the Redhawk at 25 yards off bags. Point of impact seemed to keep moving. I then noticed all the primer strikes form the Redhawk were significantly off center. All rounds of three different ammo types fores, but all showed off center firing pin indents. Is this normal on a Redhawk?

The revolver locks tight as a bank vault and seems to be in-time/didn't shave lead, but had accuracy issues and the off center primer strikes.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
steamloco76 said:
I was shooting my 5.5 inch Ruger Redhawk stainless along with my S&W 629 this morning. Sighted in the S&W no problem, but was having major issues holding a group with the Redhawk at 25 yards off bags. Point of impact seemed to keep moving. I then noticed all the primer strikes form the Redhawk were significantly off center. All rounds of three different ammo types fores, but all showed off center firing pin indents. Is this normal on a Redhawk?

The revolver locks tight as a bank vault and seems to be in-time/didn't shave lead, but had accuracy issues and the off center primer strikes.

Do you know what direction it is striking off center? If not, next time you shoot, use a sharpie and mark a spot on the rim and laod the rounds with the mark pointing to the outside of the cylinder. That will put it at 12 o'clock when your fire. Then you can post what direction the off-center strike is.

Were you shooting single action or double action? Does it strike off center in both modes? If so, is it the same direction and distance?

stantheman86

Buckeye
The hand may be fitted too tight to the ratchet teeth, forcing the cylinder over to the left. A little sideplay is a good thing in a Ruger, it allows the chamber to "center" on the forcing cone after lockup and during firing. You say it's tight as a bank vault, it may in fact be TOO tight.

If the cylinder is being forced over by the hand, it will not always shave lead since the forcing cone is larger than the chamber mouth, but the bullet is slamming into the throat of the bore at an angle and the is deforming the bullet, making it less accurate.

I would call Ruger for a shipping label either way. The only self-fix for this, if this is the problem, is to start touching the ratchet teeth with a fine file until the cylinder is a little looser on lockup. This is not something I would do myself, and would recommend just having Ruger do it.

MAC702

Single-Sixer
My Kimber 1911 has off-center strikes, significantly. I've had and shot LOTS of 1911's and this is the only one that is even close to being this far off. It has never misfired, and its accuracy is as advertised.

This is not to say your Redhawk doesn't have an issue, just that off center strikes in themselves shouldn't normally hurt anything, assuming they themselves are normal.

I'm going to hope your strikes are up or down of center (and consistent), and not to the side!

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
Do you know what direction it is striking off center? If not, next time you shoot, use a sharpie and mark a spot on the rim and laod the rounds with the mark pointing to the outside of the cylinder. That will put it at 12 o'clock when your fire. Then you can post what direction the off-center strike is.

Were you shooting single action or double action? Does it strike off center in both modes? If so, is it the same direction and distance?[/quote]

The off center condition exists in both modes.

Looking at the recoil shield, the cartridge heads left all the evidence I need to see which direction the primer strikes are off-center. Significantly biased toward the right hand (bolt and hand) side of the revolver, consistently.

I purchased this Redhawk (manufactured 1987) used in about 98% cosmetic condition from a local dealer several months back. The only time I shot it before was indoors on a 50ft range with .44 Special level reloads. At that shorter distance the accuracy was O.K.. Yesterdays performance at 25 yards was awful. I can see why the gun hadn't been shot much in its life.

I fear my chances are slim for getting a warranty repair from Ruger. A friend sent back his five year old Super Blackhawk because it was shaving lead very badly. Ruger told him the gun was "shot out" and it would cost $375 to fix or the could sell him a new gun for $425. The dealer he bought the gun from -a large Ruger stocking dealer- got involved. Ruger still wouldn't fix the revolver for free, they just dropped the cost to $150.

5of7

Hunter
Call Ruger and tell them what the problem is. I think they will fix it if it is caused by the gun itself. It sounds to me like the cylinder does not line the chambers up like it should for some reason.

Iron Mike Golf

Blackhawk
+1 with 5of7. Look for metal fouling on the right hand side of the forcing cone. Sounds to me like the cylinder timing is off. Bullets may be getting deformed and that will sure affect accuracy.

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
Here are a couple of photos. First, the recoil shield-you can see the off center outline of the primer imprint around the firing pin. Next is a sample fired cartridge. The forcing cone is clean and looking down the barrel with a 300 lumen surefire aimed at the B/C gap, light was evenly illuminating a sliver ring of cylinder, so who knows....
RHawk-rsheild.jpg
RHawk-cart.jpg

Dale53

Blackhawk
I don't believe your off center primer strikes are the cause of your inaccuracy. I wouldn't be particularly thrilled by the off center strikes showing on your photo of the case head. On the other hand, I doubt that is your problem.

Give us some further information on your load. Have you slugged the cylinder chamber throats? What bullets are you using and what diameter are they sized? Cylinder throats must be larger than the bore and the bullets must be sized to the throats before you will get the best accuracy results.

Let us know what powder charge and primer, also. We may be able to help you without you sending the revolver back to Ruger.

Dale53

steamloco76

Single-Sixer
I haven't slugged the throats. Loads-from mild to hot were: 240 gr. Penn Bullet (now Master Cast) .430" CLSCW, 8.0 Unique, CCI 300, R-P brass- a super accurate load in my S&W's. Then Berry's Plated 240 gr SWCHP, 9.5 gr Unique, WLP, R-P brass (also accurate in my S&W's) and finally a hot 240 CLSWC new-from Precision Cartridge Inc. which didn't group well in my S&W and was all over the darn place from the Redhawk.

To be honest- I looked VERY closely at the relationship of the center detent and the firing pin. It appear the firing pin hole was drilled slightly off-center and that is, of course why the primer hits are off that far.

I'm thinking about spending the $100 for the Weigand no-drill scope mount and rings for this gun, scoping it, then trying to work-up a specific load just for it.

Suggestions on loads, etc. are welcome.

Thanks

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Off center primer strikes are not especially unusual with any firearm, and can have no bearing on accuracy*. As long as the primer lights off consistently every time (ie, *no light strikes from a weak spring), best to look for some other cause IMO...

chris_

Blackhawk
Three of my various Rugers have off center strikes by quite a bit and it doesn't seem to be affecting their accuracy. JMO