nysp marked DAO SP-101?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

snake803

Single-Sixer
Some years ago, there was a post concerning this special order by the NYPD... I can't find it.. Can anyone help???
TIA,
JIM......

hittman

Staff member
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51484&hilit=nypd

This is about all I found in the Revolver Section.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=215064&hilit=spny

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51484&hilit=spny

snake803

Single-Sixer
Thanks hitman,
The info I'm seeking , detailed an order for 3300 SP-101's..The first 1100 had complaints about sharp edges of the trigger and trigger guard,and light reflection from the smooth surface of the bobbed hammer... IIRC the post went on to say that Ruger smoothed out the sharp edges on the second 1100 and checkered (cross hatched) the top of the bobbed hammer.... The third 1100 order was cancelled when NYPD started allowing compact semi- auto to be carried , off duty...
I'd sure like to find that post and confirm it...
TIA,
JIM...................

sunnyf16

Bearcat
I have always like the SP DAO's. The only input I would have to the links that hittman posted is that the SPNY serial number range is odd. The SPNY that I own is 570-55432. It is outside the range shown. I don't know if it is considered brushed stainless or target grey.

eveled

Hawkeye
Are you saying they checkered the top of the hammer for dispersing reflected light? Yet they were still DAO?

The speed hammers on the six series revolvers were bobbed and checkered but still had single action capability.

hittman

Staff member
Some of the dao hammers I've seen had a bit of a flat spot on top that was checkered. So .... yes .... both spurless and checkered.

Terry T

Buckeye
I have two:
570-47264
570-43669
The first one is unissued, the second issued and well worn.
The finish is not the later deep 'Target Gray' like the one used on the Super Redhawk. It's a lighter finish - both in color and durability / depth - more of a 'painted on' finish. The purpose was to dull the shine - so as to not give away the officer's position during a gunfight.
My issued gun has had the finish 'cleaned off'. Took me a while to figure it out - had to closely compare the unissued to the issued - finally found traces of the original finish behind the trigger guard. (I have 22 early SP-101s to compare finishes with - it didn't match a similar ser. no. commercial gun either.)
I was hoping it was one of the more rare 'brushed stainless' guns but it was simply a well used example. Officer who kept it when he retired may have not liked the dull gray finish and preceded to 'clean' it off. Who knows? The original finish may have not been very durable and after being carried, looked bad.

NYPD had been requiring DAO for a number of years. The NYPD Police Service Six model is DAO as is the NYPD GP-100. Too easy to get a negligent discharge on a cocked SA/DA.
Same for the .38 Spl (only) - Too easy for a .357 mag. to over penetrate in the close urban environment.
Hope this helps,
Terry T

snake803

Single-Sixer
Thanks all for the helpful info... I had a fella wanting a NYSP marke revolveer...Found out he thought NYSP was for new york state police...That's what he wanted..... I have this one for sale.
I'll list it in the classifieds, but can't post photos.. I can e-mail them to interested parties...
Thanks again,
JIM................... snake803atjuno.com