NM Blackhawk Flat top.45acp/.45LC Cylinder throat size?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hello, I have a new NM Blackhawk Flat top Lipseys gun in .45acp/.45LC convertible in stainless with a 4 5/8s" barrel. I have not fired it yet. I need to get assess to a range but on looking at it and the cylinder throat size the best I could tell. This is what I find.. I have as digital caliper. I checked what bullets I have and thought I could use them for a pin gage. Any way I find that the .45acp cylinder will fit a .45acp Raininer RN Copper plated bullet with a slight push of my finger. Nice a snug but it will go right through equally in all bores. The CP bullet come it at 0.451 of a inch with my digital caliber. How does this seem? I can not fit it down the barrel with my finger I know this is good but will slug the barrel as soon as I can.. In any case now here may be the issue. The 0.451 sized bullet will not fit in the throat of my .45colt cylinder I can't push it through by hand . This is just a guess but going to say the throat's on the colt cylinder are going to be 0.450 or less because it's seams close to fitting just can't push it through..

I edited the size as I was using a cheap digital caliper that gave me 0.450. But when using a small all steel caliper I got .451
Now with a better analog dial caliper again I got 451 again..

knowing this I believe my gun will shoot better with the ACP cylinder then colt cylinder. And that's ok .45acp is what I got it for anyway.. But should I send out the colt cylinder to get it reamed? Or do any of you think it will shoot .45 cotls just fine the way it is? Sorry I always seem to make the post longer then they have to be.. Thanks! George

Enigma

Hunter
You simply cannot accurately measure chamber throats with calipers. That's a pretty well known fact. Machinists call them 'very-near calipers,' because, well, you get it. On my own Lipsey's .45 Convertible, both cylinders needed to be reamed. IIRC, I used 3 different sized pilots with the .45 Colt cylinder, and 4 with the .45 ACP cylinder. Personally, I would recommend sending both cylinders to member Dougguy for his excellent reaming and honing service. If the ACP cylinder doesn't need to reamed, that's fine. Better safe than sorry, though.

George

Blackhawk
Enigma, Thank you for your reply! Yes That's why I use a bullet as a pin gage. I found copper plated bullet that just fit in the throat of the .45acp cylinder snug but not so snug that I could not push it through. Each chamber felt the same. The I measured the bullet with a steel analog caliper to get 0.451 for the acp cylinder. Caliper used was a Starrett 1". Then I rechecked with a analog Draper dial Caliper for the same reading. My digital caliper read different but it was a cheap one so I disregarded it value.. This is not to do work on my cylinders. I'm just trying to get a idea if I need anything done. But I intend to shoot it some first..
Enigma, It would be very helpful to me if you could tell me the throat size on both cylinders before and after the work was done. Thank you! George

George

Blackhawk
Also would it help both my .45colt and .45acp if I resize all my cast bullets down to 0.451 if I want the best chance at good groups then decide if I need to resize my cylinders? Just asking! George

Enigma

Hunter
As I recall, the throats on both cylinders on my gun ranged from .448 to .451 before reaming, with nearly every hole a different diameter. After reaming they were all .452+, but smaller than .453". For best results, you size cast bullets to throat diameter. If the bullets are larger than the throat diameter, they get swaged down to fit through the throats.

Another thing you should check for is thread constriction in the bore. Mine had thread constriction, along with transfer bar pinch. This seems to be pretty common in Ruger stainless Blackhawks, for whatever reason. Ruger's stainless steel barrels are harder than a scorned woman's heart, and it takes some time and effort to fire lap the constriction out.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
George, Why Don't You Just Shoot The Gun And See What Happens ???? Everything Might Be Just Fine ... How Can You Fix Something That Might Not Be Broken... Just My 2 cents. Congrats. On Your New Gun.

George

Blackhawk
Enigma, Thank you for the additional information on your cylinder sizes. That gives me a idea of that Ruger puts out in there .45 caliber cylinders. For some reason from what I read there .45's have the most inconsistencies!

Also thanks for the head up on the barrel to frame thread constriction. I will check for that. George

George

Blackhawk
Enigma, Thank you for the additional information on your cylinder sizes. That gives me a idea of that Ruger puts out in there .45 caliber cylinders. For some reason from what I read there .45's have the most inconsistencies!

Also thanks for the head up on the barrel to frame thread constriction. I will check for that. George

George

Blackhawk
Get Wood said:
George, Why Don't You Just Shoot The Gun And See What Happens ???? Everything Might Be Just Fine ... How Can You Fix Something That Might Not Be Broken... Just My 2 cents. Congrats. On Your New Gun.

Hello again! Well you see what I ended up with as far as a Gun goes.. Yes I will shoot first for sure... I think my .45acp cylinder will shoot just fine even with my cast bullets after I resize them to 451 the same size as the FMJ factory bullets that I can push through the ACP cylinder easy with one finger. all throats feel the same as the bullet passes through them to me. And that what I really got this gun for as I have a shorty .44mag for a side arm in the woods. so really don't need to shoot .45colts. but after getting the gun I already ordered a reloading die set and a resizing die of 451 so guess I will reload .45colts after all!

I just don't have a good place to shoot right now. So killing time going over my gun. Going to check out some ranges as close to me as soon as I can.. The one I always belonged to on and off for over 30 years now makes you send in your money. Then you need to show up at there next meeting "they have one once a month" they make you jump through a few more hoops hop on one leg and who knows what else.
Then there is a meeting down at the range a few weeks later to go over stuff.. All this wasted time.. Heck then it's winter in the north country again! If you know what I mean.. I don't mind doing all that stuff to join if they would only let me do it when I pay for my range pass like they use too! George

contender

Ruger Guru
I own enough 45's to where I purchased the chamber reamer for myself. It was well worth it. I ream my 45 Colt chambers to .4525. I use pin gauges to check dimensions. If you don't have those skills & tools, I HIGHLY recommend DougGuy for his work. At least in the 45 Colt cylinder.

George

Blackhawk
contender said:
I own enough 45's to where I purchased the chamber reamer for myself. It was well worth it. I ream my 45 Colt chambers to .4525. I use pin gauges to check dimensions. If you don't have those skills & tools, I HIGHLY recommend DougGuy for his work. At least in the 45 Colt cylinder.

contender,
Thank you for your help! I do have the skill level to do the work I believe. I would need a set of pin gages and the reamer and a pilot bearing set. I have a T handle from my tap and dies. Just don't think having the tools would be worth the expense with just one gun to do. So yes I may very well turn to DougGuy as everyone speaks of How good his work is!

Ruger seems to make the colt cylinders like this. I can't understand why. It would guess it would also bring the presser up too. In a mid sized frame gun.. .45colt 14,000 .45acp 21,000 with a max for both 23,000 it just doesn't seem prudent to keep turning out small .45colt cylinders at leas the ones that come with the convertibles.

Do you know why they insist on tuning them out this way? George

Enigma

Hunter
George said:

Economics, is my guess - it's less expensive to continue to make them the same old way, rather than investing in new tooling. I've heard at least once that Ruger has "fixed" this problem, and new guns aren't plagued by too-small throats any more. I have yet to see the results 'on the street,' so to speak. But then, I haven't purchased a new Ruger .45 Blackhawk for a while.

Oh, one other thing - if you send your revolver back to Ruger for whatever reason, they normally replace your cylinder if the throats have been reamed to proper size. I've experienced this once, and have heard of other instances of it.

George

Blackhawk
Enigma said:
George said:

Economics, is my guess - it's less expensive to continue to make them the same old way, rather than investing in new tooling. I've heard at least once that Ruger has "fixed" this problem, and new guns aren't plagued by too-small throats any more. I have yet to see the results 'on the street,' so to speak. But then, I haven't purchased a new Ruger .45 Blackhawk for a while.

Oh, one other thing - if you send your revolver back to Ruger for whatever reason, they normally replace your cylinder if the throats have been reamed to proper size. I've experienced this once, and have heard of other instances of it.

Emigna, Ya, I can understand Economics But they do turn out some .45acp/.45colt cylinders with the correct size. I understand about tool wear and them changing out there cutters and reamers often enough to keep the sizes true or in there case not so much. So is it a QC issue? I don't think that's the case as you mentioned that if one is to send in a gun with the throats cut to the right size and they catch you will get back a gun with a new cylinder.. This is the reason I think there a little more to it...For some reason they insist to on tight throats. It sure don't make the gun shoot better..

Now let me get just a little off topic if I may.. The Single Six convertible I know they make the barrel size a compromised size right in the middle and this I can understand do to the size difference in .22LR and .22 mag bullets as most know the .22mag is a better fit to the barrel and will shoot better then the .22LR in the convertibles. But I still think Ruger has a reason for doing there .45's cylinders so tight and more so with there .45acp/.45colt convertible cylinders. I believe they want them made tight for some reason of there own.

I have no intention of sending my guns back to Ruger unless there is a really big issue with one of them. I will retain my old parts to reinstall just in case.. In my case I think my .45acp cylinder is OK at about 451.5 but I know my led cast bullets are all 452 in size. I also know my .45colt cylinder is tight someplace at about 450 or so. I ordered a sizing die to pass my lead cast bullets through for .45colt and I will see if that will help a bit it should I would think.. But if I have to do something with the colt cylinder I will fit another cylinder to the gun first so I retain my original cylinder so. If I ever have to send the gun back to Ruger I can reinstall it..

Still wonder why they think the throats must be made smaller in .45caliber more then any other caliber. Maybe in the mid. side frame Flattops I could see it making them a tad stronger but then again it's going to bring up chamber pressures.

So I still just wonder! Thanks! George

Get Wood said:

I'm in this camp. Nothing wrong with measuring throat size, end shake, b/c gap, etc but it's kind of futile without before and after data. I would like to see a thread where someone who was unhappy with inconsistent or out of spec throat sizes shoot a couple of hundred rounds, documenting the accuracy of each cylinder, from a Ransome rest before and after reaming the throats. It would be a very time consuming exercise but it would also be very educational.

George

Blackhawk
Captain America said:
Get Wood said:

I'm in this camp. Nothing wrong with measuring throat size, end shake, b/c gap, etc but it's kind of futile without before and after data. I would like to see a thread where someone who was unhappy with inconsistent or out of spec throat sizes shoot a couple of hundred rounds, documenting the accuracy of each cylinder, from a Ransome rest before and after reaming the throats. It would be a very time consuming exercise but it would also be very educational.

What you asking for is easy! Yes if you cylinder throats are tight and you get them opened up by someone that know what there doing and can de each one the same spot on. YES, accuracy will in fact improve. easy enough to use search to find out about that.. It can bring a 3" group down to a inch or so at about 25 yards. That's what people say at least the ones that have cylinder throat issues. Also a tight cylinder throat is harder on the gun. George

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
In a *perfect* world, for shooting cast, you would want the bullet/boolit sized .001" ~ .002" over groove diameter of the barrel, and you would want the throats sized .0005" ~ .001" over bullet diameter. This arrangement works best for accuracy and the least amount of leading.

The single most important part about the cylinder, is how even the throats are. Since the throats are the first resistance met by the process of ignition, they have all in the world to do with how much initial pressure is produced, which causes a handgun to recoil in the shooter's hands differently from shot to shot if the pressure varies significantly. Basically having even cylinder throats lets the gun recoil in a more consistent manner from shot to shot so it will shoot smaller groups. You can always size to fit the throats, impossible to control or compensate for when the throats are uneven.

You are welcome to send a PM for details about having the cylinder throats reamed, honed, and all evened out. I strive to size within .0002" of each other when I do a cylinder.

George

Blackhawk
DougYuy, Thank you for your reply! I assume you have read all my posts so you know where I'm coming from. I have a bullet siz-er on it's way to me.. I will resize some 452 cast bullets to 451 then I will slug the barrel and check the size. Maybe a better way for me to check the size of both the .45acp cylinder and the .45colt cylinder is to do the same with them.. Might give me and you a better idea where I am at and what I need to have done if anything.. I will shoot some lead down range with both cylinders and see how it shoots.. Again I assume because of it's size the 451.5 the .45acp cylinder will shoot better with FMJ acp's or Lead cast bullets.. Is this the rout I should take first on a new gun that's never been fired other then from the factory? George

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
George said:
DougYuy, Thank you for your reply! I assume you have read all my posts so you know where I'm coming from. I have a bullet siz-er on it's way to me.. I will resize some 452 cast bullets to 451 then I will slug the barrel and check the size. Maybe a better way for me to check the size of both the .45acp cylinder and the .45colt cylinder is to do the same with them.. Might give me and you a better idea where I am at and what I need to have done if anything.. I will shoot some lead down range with both cylinders and see how it shoots.. Again I assume because of it's size the 451.5 the .45acp cylinder will shoot better with FMJ acp's or Lead cast bullets.. Is this the rout I should take first on a new gun that's never been fired other then from the factory? George

Well, firing it is not going to make the cylinder throats any larger, it will however give you a before and after scenario that you can compare with. Ruger 45 barrels have been right at .451" for many years now, with very few variations sp there really isn't any need to slug the bore. The issue isn't the groove diameter of the barrel, but if the barrel has any constrictions in it. Used to be the real deeply impressed roll marked "lawyer warning" on the side of the barrels was impressed in there so strongly that it actually raised ridges inside the barrel behind each word of the text on the outside. If you have one of these, and want a sarcastic laugh, patch a cleaning jag rather snugly into the barrel and run it back and forth, you can feel the ridges much like rolling over those rumble strip warnings they sometimes use on highways..

The other thing you can check for, is by tightly patching a cleaning jag into the barrel, push it down toward the frame, observe how much effort it takes to keep the jag moving. IF when you get to the area where the barrel and frame join, the jag gets harder to push, this is thread choke you are feeling. Ruger torques the barrels to the frame to align the front sight at 12:00 o'clock and sometimes the threads crush the barrel and squeeze it down a couple of thousandths in diameter. I call these the "wasp waisted" Rugers. If the jag is only marginally affected and pushes through without much effort, the choke is very slight and may not present any issues, and can usually be very easily firelapped out.

If the jag stops, and it takes a LOT of effort to push it the rest of the way through, the choke is severe, likely as much as .003" and until this is remedied, the gun will never group well and will always tend to lead the bore. If it is blued you will have luck firelapping, stainless barrel with this much choke by the time you firelap the choke out of it, rifling in the remainder of the barrel will be pretty much ruined.

Afaik, Ruger will not address this issue unless the gun simply does not group. You could call them and maybe sweet talk them into sending you a shipping label for it if you tell them that at 25 yards your buddies thought you were shooting a shotgun by the group sizes.. Anyway, either Ruger fixes it, or you send the gun to someone and have it Taylor throated to relieve the choke. This, is a worst case scenario. I had one like this, I taylor throated it. End of problem!

Now, if the barrel does NOT have any of the aforementioned issues, and you choose to size to .452" so your boolit will be .001" over groove diameter and seal nicely in the bore, then the cylinder throats simply must be enlarged so as to not size the boolits down to throat diameter upon firing. Shooting one with tight throats doesn't necessarily hurt the gun, but having the throats correctly sized and all even with each other will be a very noticeable improvement. When you want to do this improvement, before you shoot it or afterwards, is strictly up to you.

I can't see the logic in the "shoot the gun as it is first" suggestions. On one hand if the gun will shoot as good as the shooter with uneven, tight throats, then spending the money to have the cylinder dimensionally corrected might not seem to be much of a justified expense. On the other hand if you already know that the throats are uneven and smaller than the boolit you want to shoot, then proceeding to shoot the gun in the present state seems to be more of a waste of time and ammo just to see it shoot to a lesser degree of accuracy than it is capable of.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Am I going nuts? Right before I posted my above comment you had a FB link to click on.?
I figured it out lol
I wasn't signed in and then when I signed in I had signatures turned off.
But yes link isn't working.