mg2112

Bearcat
Greetings.

Took the SR9 to the range for the first time today. A bit cold south
of Boston but I could not pass up outdoor shooting. Cold but little wind,
clear, and sunny. Shot outside for a while until my hands started getting
cold and loading two new 10 round mags began to take it's toll. Link to
todays best target is below.

Black bull target: Indoor, 11 yards, offhand.
Red bull target: Outdoor, 8 yards, offhand.

http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/o635/MGSR9457/SR9%20Range%2012%20Feb/

Gun shot fantastic. It will take me a couple hundred more rounds to get used to the trigger. Only one FTE which took place at the end of my session using Tula (junk) ammo. Love the SR9. Not sure why it took me so long to get on the SR9 bandwagon. Glad I am a member though.

MG

On Saturday I purchased a SR9 NIB. Absolutely love this gun. I
immediately noticed how nice it feels in my hand with fantastic point
ability.

I took the day off to recover from the Patriots SB loss. I anticipated
going to the range but my daughter got sick and stayed home with me.
Instead of shooting the SR9 I gave her good cleaning, oiled up the rails, and polished her a bit.

Pics below.

Next weekend I will post a range report.

MG

http://s1151.photobucket.com/albums/o635/MGSR9457/

Armybrat

Buckeye
Congratulations on the new SR9.
Have had mine for over two years - after some initial light strike problems solved by a detailed cleaning, it has run smoothly ever since.

Am waiting for an SR45 now.

Sham22

Bearcat
Congrats on the new SR9. I've had mine for 4 months now and love it. Haven't had any issues at all it shoots flawlessly. Its very accurate right out of the box. Play around with the backatrap. I'm using the flat back strap which I've found to be more comfortable which improved my accuracy. Have fun at the range. Good shooting to ya!

Cape Cod Terry

Single-Sixer
:D I love my SR9c. Great trigger and shoots anything I stuff in it. Just wish they had the 15 rd. mags in MA. What part of the state are you in?
Cape Cod Terry :D

Conn AK

Single-Sixer
You will love the SR9. I'm from Connecticut. You Massachusetts guys have a high-cap magazine ban? If so, the SR9c is the way to go. They tried that crap in Connecticut last year to no avail.

mg2112

Bearcat
Conn AK said:
You will love the SR9. I'm from Connecticut. You Massachusetts guys have a high-cap magazine ban? If so, the SR9c is the way to go. They tried that crap in Connecticut last year to no avail.

Yep - 10 round maximum in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

NOTPARS

Bearcat
Would you consider the SR9C concealable? I'm from Maryland and got tired of all the gun prohibition laws. You're welcome here in Missouri and you can shoot whatever you want.

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
NOTPARS said:
Would you consider the SR9C concealable? I'm from Maryland and got tired of all the gun prohibition laws. You're welcome here in Missouri and you can shoot whatever you want.

I carry my SR9C with an IWB Max Tuck holster made by White Hat. I find it very concealable using the 10 round magazine.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
A buddy of mine who lives in MA says you can have hicap mags if you have a CCW license. Is that true? He just bought a Browning BDA with factory 13 rounders from a dealer. I have an SR9c and love it. If you ever want to sell or trade your 10 rounders let me know, I have the baseplates to convert them into SR9c mags.

jadek44

Single-Sixer
Mr. Ferg.. As a retired Mass. leo ya should VERIFY the hi cap statement. Only on pre ban pistols.. If the weapon was MADE before your ok but if it's say the newer ones its a no go on hi caps . Just cause our ccw says hi caps it doesn't mean it. Check the laws.. Look in any catalog and check out hi cap restricted states and you'll see our great??? state of Mass...

NOTPARS

Bearcat
I was an LEO in Maryland and California. I now live in Missouri. I feel for you who are living in states with so many restrictions. I doubt I'd be able to move back to my home state with what I have now legally here. I would like to visit Massachusetts sometime. I here it is a beautiful state.

freddieman4

Bearcat
I bought a p95 9mm I did not think I would really like it but to my surprise, I fell in love with it.!! sooo I went out and bought a SR9. O man! here I go again I can't afford enough bullets to shoot them. :cry: I really did not think this would happen. :p

NixieTube

Blackhawk
mg2112 said:
I immediately noticed how nice it feels in my hand with fantastic point ability.

Great to see another MA Ruger owner and yes, what you say there was the dealmaker for me when I bought my SR9 1.1 about two years ago. I've enjoyed it ever since and found it to be a very reliable, accurate and safe weapon. I actually liked the safety features when I bought it. They were selling points for me. This is my go-to self defense pistol in my home and it is within arms reach at night (and even a couple of times two years ago under my pillow with one in the chamber and the safety on).

As far as the 17 round factory mags. are concerned - the answer as far as I know, unless you are a Law Enforcement Officer, is "NEGATIVE. FUGHEDDABOUTIT." They were manufactured **AFTER** the 10-round restriction/ban was signed into law and are therefore forbidden even with a Class A Large Capacity Unrestricted license. Unless the law changes, we're stuck with the "You Must Be This Tall To Ride This Ride" magazines.

Speaking of which, if this is your first pistol or firearm in the Commonwealth you should really seriously think about joining GOAL.ORG. Ah, heck, you shouldn't even think about it: just do it. If you can afford the courses and the licensing and the fingerprinting and the multiple background checks and the trips to the police station and the pistol and the ammo. and the club membership, you can afford the GOAL membership, too - so you can keep enjoying the other eight. :lol: Check out their website for more abundant reasons why, if you don't already know. Protecting your rights here in the Commonwealth is a full-time job and GOAL doesn't "watch the clock."

I'm close enough to Springfield that I can get to the Smith & Wesson factory range in about 30 minutes, so I'm in the middle part of the state. I do get out to the coast from time to time though, and it would be nice to visit Braintree on one of those trips. Maybe we'll meet up sometime!

I think you'll enjoy your SR9. I had the choice of several other guns and I definitely haven't been sorry. The design is mature at this point and there are some nice aftermarket options available from Galloway Precision among others. It's a good, solid, safe gun and it feels like a million bucks when I shoot it. It still makes me smile a little every time I pick it up, and that's my "gut check" confirmation that it was a worthwhile purchase.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
NOTPARS said:
I was an LEO in Maryland and California. I now live in Missouri. I feel for you who are living in states with so many restrictions. I doubt I'd be able to move back to my home state with what I have now legally here. I would like to visit Massachusetts sometime. I here it is a beautiful state.

It *is* a beautiful state and in terms of density of history per square mile of area one of the most important places in the world to visit. It's a real shame that a lot of our politicians would rather bury its proud history than celebrate it. This is the home of the Minutemen, the original ones.

It's also a wonderful state in terms of natural beauty. My personal favorite is autumn here, it's just incomparable. But during the summer, the coastal towns are gorgeous and as you walk along you are taken back into history by the placards on houses every few dozen feet. If you come in the summer, visit Rockport. I live near a protected lake in a beautiful town near the middle of the Commonwealth and after having lived in many large cities in my lifetime I wake up every morning and I'm grateful I'm here.

The politics and other things are the price we pay for that, I suppose.

NOTPARS

Bearcat
The politics is why I couldn't live there and it is a real shame too because your state is one of the birth places of American democracy and liberty. I have heard how beautiful it is though and I must confess I miss the shore living here in the Midwest...a lot. I used to go in the winter. Great time to escape the tourists but swiming was out of the question. How bad are the tourists in the fall? Everyone knows that Massachusetts is THE place to go in the fall. It is my second favorite season next to winter. Here in Missouri the winters are pretty mild, even wimpy but you ought to hear the people go on and on about how bad winters are because the temp hits 28 and we've had half an inch of snow. But I need to come and visit Massachusetts. Your history alone makes it a mandatory trip for every American.

Latest posts