New Sixgun, Stocks and Leather

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
a couple weeks back I picked up my first flat top 44spl. before long I was in love (well, except for the hammer and trigger!) the fit and finish are perfect, the action was pretty smooth and the BC gap is almost non existent. I haven't had a chance test it on paper yet, just steel. but so far I couldn't be happier.

after a while I decided it needed a good set of stocks and a holster. first I dug through my Ivory box and found an oversized, 40 percent roughed out SAA panel I got from Boone trading when they were selling off all their Ivory. then I found a large cutoff from a tusk I worked with a while back. most people would probably have called it junk and scraped it since it was cracked at the top but these stocks will see a lot of use so I didn't mind the cracks. it's just character. I did fill the cracks with clear Epoxy so they won't get any worse though.

after fitting the stocks I started on the Holster. this is the second one I've made and while it turned out better than the first I still need some practice. it's Threepersons style I took from Will Ghormley's 1911 pattern. interestingly the dye I used on the holster was Tapadera's N-35 gunstock stain. it's meant to replicate the color used on vintage Winchester Rifles.

gun belt made by http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/

I couldn't decide which picture I liked best so just posed them all lol.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
The stocks look real good on there. That's an interesting pattern, In the finish, on the holster. And that is one beautiful rifle! :mrgreen:

LSCG

Buckeye
mikewriter said:
Love those flattop .44 Specials! Your ivory grips look as good as the Holly grips I have on mine!

Mike

thanks Mike! I really love this one, only problem is I now need the 45 colt and 357 versions! :D

SATCOM said:

thanks!

Poco Oso said:
The stocks look real good on there. That's an interesting pattern, In the finish, on the holster. And that is one beautiful rifle! :mrgreen:

thank you sir! i'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

contender

Ruger Guru
Zane is expanding his talents!
I see seriously nice working guns & leather here. Dressed a little, yet, still classic looking. Mighty nice all around.

Joe S.

Hunter
I know the ivory was what it was, and i've had it happen with elk antler i've used before... And it looks great!! But does it bother you that the metal is really proud at the frame? That would really bug me. Lol

Great job tho! I love the look of ivory. And that holster is really nice!!

LSCG

Buckeye
Joe S. said:
I know the ivory was what it was, and i've had it happen with elk antler i've used before... And it looks great!! But does it bother you that the metal is really proud at the frame? That would really bug me. Lol

Great job tho! I love the look of ivory. And that holster is really nice!!

well while I do wish that part was more evenly matched with the other side I can't say that it bothers me. while I definitely want it to look nice how it feels matters more to me and these feel real good. besides I've got plenty of good Ivory for any Colt SAA's or custom Ruger's I may happen to get in the future. :wink:

thanks!

mikewriter

Blackhawk

I've been using an older holster for my .44 Flattop that is not very attractive, but "works". Found this shoulder rig the other day. Can't remember the name of the company, but I was disappointed at what I got for the price - didn't see it as anything "Special", and it took a LONG time to get it. Haven't been using it, but the Flattop fits it really well. Doubt I'll ever "open carry" in public, although I do in the woods and often use a shoulder rig, but this set up would work. Could even be used concealed under a jacket or coat, I guess.

Have I mentioned how much I like those Holly grips?

The revolver on top in the Bianchi leather is my .45 Blackhawk.

Mike

LSCG

Buckeye
mikewriter said:

I've been using an older holster for my .44 Flattop that is not very attractive, but "works". Found this shoulder rig the other day. Can't remember the name of the company, but I was disappointed at what I got for the price - didn't see it as anything "Special", and it took a LONG time to get it. Haven't been using it, but the Flattop fits it really well. Doubt I'll ever "open carry" in public, although I do in the woods and often use a shoulder rig, but this set up would work. Could even be used concealed under a jacket or coat, I guess.

Have I mentioned how much I like those Holly grips?

The revolver on top in the Bianchi leather is my .45 Blackhawk.

Mike

it's a shame that shoulder holster isn't working out Mike. I've never had a shoulder rig before but one of these days I believe i'll have Doc Barranti make me one of his Northwest Hunter or High Country Companion rigs. http://www.barrantileather.com/Products.html

i'm glad your still happy with those holly grips! looks like they may have aged slightly since I sent them to you.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
The Holly grips are aging very well. I think they just keep looking better and better! VERY glad you suggested that material!

I'm really thinking this shoulder holster will end up getting used a look with my .44 Special. When in the woods, I normally carry my .480 SRH or a .44 mag SBH in a SH on my left side, and if I want another gun with me, or a different type of hand gun, either my .22 semi-auto or another Blackhawk on the right side in a belt.

I like shoulder holsters, and have several of different types and sizes, but one day I hope to get a couple of really good ones.

Latest posts