new P95 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxFrenzy

Bearcat
Hi Folks,

So I finally got a chance to try out my new P95 at the range today on a slightly chilly/rainy Saturday in Illinois. I went through 150 rounds using Winchester white box FMJ's. I'm pleased to report that there were zero malfunctions. NO FTF, FTE, etc. The Ruger was happy to consume the ammo. I bought a couple targets and varied my distance from 21 feet out to 75 feet (max distance for this indoor range). I would have pictures of my targets, but I ended up folding them up and putting them on the clip (essentially exposing a blank white canvas) so I could have another target to shoot at. I'm pretty new to the gun world. My first time shooting was 2004 in the Tucson desert where I had an opportunity to try a variety of pistols but had no training and no good targets to check. Since then, I've been to the range 3 other times, renting 9mm or .40's. I've done a lot more .22 LR shooting in comparison. Anyway, being a Chicago resident, I was required with the new ordinance to take a gun safety course that involved 4 hours of classroom time with an hour at the range. I was able to pick up some hints from our tack driving instructor, especially with both him and I being left handed shooters.

So what is the verdict? This gun is highly accurate in my opinion. Any poor shots delivered were user error...either jerking the trigger or anticipating the recoil. The single action mode on the firearm is fantastic and requires VERY little pull to fire off the round. At 25 yards, I was able to put 10 out of 10 on a 5x5 inch piece of paper. I showed one of the employees who was practicing and he commented that it was pretty darn good. The trick is really just calming down, steady on your target, draw the trigger slowly and steady, and don't anticipate the recoil...let it burst in your hand and do its thing. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the function, accuracy, and feel while shooting (even for a guy with smaller hands).

One thing I will mention is that when I rack the slide after putting a new magazine in, the hammer on my weapon is cocked in single action mode. I was under the impression that the chambering the first round on a new mag would keep the gun in DA mode for the first shot. That was not the case. I've also noticed in practicing the mechanics of the gun at home that if I gently rack the slide while the safety is on w/ or without mag that the hammer will stay cocked. If I rack it hard, the trigger will go back to its idle DA position. Whether or not the pistol is supposed to do that is up in the air, but it really doesn't present an issue for me. I prefer to shoot single action, and don't mind that I don't have to manually cock my first shot.

After 150 rounds, the gun was still relatively clean. I used a bore snake from a .22 LR and passed it through the barrel a couple times when I got home cleaning it out sufficiently. Turns out that the snake is extremely tight in my .22 rifle (to the point where I think I'm going to break it yanking on it), but obviously passes through just fine in the 9mm. I'm not relying on it as a permanent cleaning solution, I just have yet to buy the appropriate bore snake for it.

All that said, if you are on the fence about getting a P95, give it a whirl. There really isn't much to be disappointed with. It is easy to use, gobbles up the ammo I've thrown at it, has a manageable recoil, and more than sufficient accuracy. At my skill level, I'd feel much better about having this 9mm for home defense than a .40 that I can't aim or handle well. I'm on the side of shot placement being king when it comes to defense, so until I can manage a larger caliber, this P95 is my buddy at the house. Now I just need to stop playing with it and let it rest for while :)

Thanks

keith81

Bearcat
If you rack the slide with the safety off the hammer will stay back and fire the first shot SA.

As far as it staying cocked when you gently ride the slide forward that is normal. I noticed mine does the same thing, the slide doesn't go all the way and let the hammer fall unless you let it go on its own.

MaxFrenzy

Bearcat
keith81 said:
If you rack the slide with the safety off the hammer will stay back and fire the first shot SA.

As far as it staying cocked when you gently ride the slide forward that is normal. I noticed mine does the same thing, the slide doesn't go all the way and let the hammer fall unless you let it go on its own.

and with that...when the safety is on and you rack gently, leaving it in single action mode..you can just nudge the slide forward and the hammer will drop...its not a big issue, I was just under a different assumption for the operation of the firearm. Good to hear that someone else has noticed the same functionality.

Thanks

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
One thing I will mention is that when I rack the slide after putting a new magazine in, the hammer on my weapon is cocked in single action mode. I was under the impression that the chambering the first round on a new mag would keep the gun in DA mode for the first shot. That was not the case. I've also noticed in practicing the mechanics of the gun at home that if I gently rack the slide while the safety is on w/ or without mag that the hammer will stay cocked. If I rack it hard, the trigger will go back to its idle DA position. Whether or not the pistol is supposed to do that is up in the air, but it really doesn't present an issue for me. I prefer to shoot single action, and don't mind that I don't have to manually cock my first shot.
All normal.

With the safety in the "FIRE" position the hammer will stay back after you rack the slide.

With the safety in the "SAFE" position the hammer will fall (decock) after you rack the slide normally. If you ease the slide back forward then the hammer may stay in the cocked position and the slide won't go fully forward. HOWEVER, you should never ease the slide forward. Always pull it back fully and release it abruptly when it comes as far back as it can go.

GhosT

Blackhawk
MaxFrenzy,

First.......WELCOME TO RUGER FORUM.

Second, before I comment on the "meat" of yer post...
WHAT A COOL POST!...GREAT DETAILS!

Yer P95 prolly made more recently than mine...mine first Generation....but doesn't really matter.

"I'm pleased to report that there were zero malfunctions. NO FTF, FTE, etc. The Ruger was happy to consume the ammo. "
VERY COOL...mine did too.

BTW, yer halfway there for the general rule...300 rounds with out a glitch equals perfect performance from a new gun.....JMHO.. of course.

I will save time by giving this advice now......STAY WITH FACTORY MAGAZINES... If doubt that search this site.

Yers comes with a safety, mine(plural)...I went the de-cocker route, so have zero comments on yer safety.
NO WAY A SHOT, WE ALL JUST PREFER DIFFERENT MODELS!

"So what is the verdict? This gun is highly accurate in my opinion. Any poor shots delivered were user error...either jerking the trigger or anticipating the recoil. The single action mode on the firearm is fantastic and requires VERY little pull to fire off the round. At 25 yards, I was able to put 10 out of 10 on a 5x5 inch piece of paper."

The verdict is sounds like yer happy with yer choice!

I love my P95....sounds like you love yers too!

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I have had pretty close to all auto pistol at one time or another in my life time (48 yrs old) or at least several of the brands. I will take the Ruger P series over them all. Built like tanks, accurate, eats everything. I have never had one malfunction. Good chioce, Glad you are happy with it, now you won't be happy with any other brand. Welcome to the Ruger world.

45K20E4

Bearcat
I bought P95 (stainless/decocked only) new in 1997 and still have it. It has easily seen 20,000 rounds over the years with barely any malfunctions all thanks to faulty ammo. I use both factory 10 (bought it during the AWB) and some aftermarket 15 round mags with no problems. Sure there are "better" pistols out there, but for 300 clams it just can't be beat. Reliable, accurate & comfortable.

KP95.jpg

JAREDSHS

Bearcat
Max----welcome and congrats on your new P95. I have a new one too and love it. I think that the P95 is a very under rated weapon. The current trend of striker fired guns has taken the limelight. I personally prefer the traditional da/sa style with the safety-decock. The gun market is driven by a lot of crazy ideas and influences. Some of us just prefer some of the older designs. My P95 is a keeper.

Enjoy and go shoot that thing. :D :D

dacaur

Single-Sixer
MaxFrenzy said:
Hi Folks,

One thing I will mention is that when I rack the slide after putting a new magazine in, the hammer on my weapon is cocked in single action mode. I was under the impression that the chambering the first round on a new mag would keep the gun in DA mode for the first shot.

That's the SA part of SA/DA. :D On any single action pistol when you rack the slide it will cock the weapon. It would have to be the DAO (double action only) version to not cock the hammer when you rack it. If you want to shoot DA, just put it on safe and that will decock it, the take it off safe and you are in double action mode.

MaxFrenzy said:
Now I just need to stop playing with it and let it rest for while :)

Thanks

Nah, no need to let it rest, if you think the trigger is nice now, wait till you dry fire it a few thousand times.... Everyone who shoots my p95 comments on how nice the trigger is..... I sat with it on the couch for a few weeks (not consecutively) and dry fired it at the TV.... made the trigger REALLY nice and I got lots of trigger practice.... :lol:

sicboy13

Single-Sixer
Maxfrenzy, glad to hear all went well! I only have one semi auto, and that is my KP95PR, I like it, but I still suck for accuracy.

45K20E4 - do you, or anyone for that matter, recommend the Hogue grip you have in your pic? I've held off on buying one, but wonder if I might not shoot a little better with one...

rooger

Single-Sixer
do you, or anyone for that matter, recommend the Hogue grip you have in your pic?

I'm glad I put that Hogue on my P95 last year. I much prefer the feel of the finger slots instead the factory smooth polymer grip. I think I paid ten bucks for it. The gun feels more stable in my hand. It fits very tight too.