new owner, mag issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

varooom

Bearcat
Took my new CMD to the range yesterday. Worked perfect with the 2 supplied Ruger mags and the 8 round McCormick I have.
However, the 7 round McCormick will not feed at all and the Kimber pro will not lock into the weapon.
I am new to 1911s so I am sure I am doing something wrong. The gun and mags are all new.
Please help,
thanks for your time
Doug

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I have no problem with Ed Brown and Wilson mags in my SR1911 but not familiar with the brands you're posting about.

Take the factory Ruger mag and align it with the mag that won't lock in and compare the positioning of the lock cut outs (where the mag release engages the mag body).

Also possible that if you have a mag fully loaded there is not enough give left under the spring to reach the lock position.

The one that won't feed at all, can you describe what you're talking about? Round nose dives and won't go up the ramp?

varooom

Bearcat
I am a total idiot. There is obviously more than 1 size mag for 1911s.

The 2 mags that do not work are too short.

Although they are all physically the same length,
the distance from the top of the mag and the release slot is different.

The 2 mags that do not work do not go up into the mag well far enough. Neither were reaching the mag release slot.

Thank you for your replys, now I know. There is obviously a full size (what my gun uses) and a compact version possibly for the ultra sizes.

thanks again,
Doug

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
varooom said:
The 2 mags that do not work do not go up into the
mag well far enough. Neither were reaching the mag release slot.
The fun part is that the "full" length will work in the "Ultra" size, but the
Ultra mag will not work in the full size (as you found out). :D

modrifle3

Buckeye
varooom said:

The 2 mags that do not work do not go up into the mag well far enough. Neither were reaching the mag release slot.

Thank you for your replys, now I know. There is obviously a full size (what my gun uses) and a compact version possibly for the ultra sizes.

thanks again,
Doug

I am a bit confused by your statement. Commander and government use the same mag and the next size down is officer. It is physically shorter. Kimber Pro officer size are 7rd. If you have an 8 rd kimber pro it is full size...kimber sells 7rd full size but I rarely see anyone carry them. Also all three use the same distance from top of mag to mag release.

George

Blackhawk
modrifle3 said:
varooom said:

thanks again,
Doug

I am a bit confused by your statement. Commander and government use the same mag and the next size down is officer. It is physically shorter. Kimber Pro officer size are 7rd. If you have an 8 rd kimber pro it is full size...kimber sells 7rd full size but I rarely see anyone carry them. Also all three use the same distance from top of mag to mag release.

Yes the officers 1911 is shorter and takes shorter mags to have them fit flush to the guns butt.. But the officers 1911 will take any mag you have for a 1911 even though it will stick out of the gun a little or a lot it you have a 20 roung mag for it.. also the round count differs because some makers use a follow that has a shorter leg on it so one more round can be held in the mag then years ago.. Hope this helps some! George