New "All Around" Bolt Action

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JonVan

Bearcat
I have already made my purchase by this point. I have a Ruger Sfar 20" 308 with an Arken Optics SH-4 Gen II 4-16x50 FFP scope, Ozark Armament offset iron sights and FAB Defence T-Pod G2 foregrip/bipod hybrid. It has less range but should still reach out and touch 1000 yards especially with a 178 grain Hornady ELDX and I got some Saltech Swiss AA 147 grain FMJ for reloading and target practice.

upter43

Bearcat
I am looking to purchase my first rifle within the next few years and I'm interested in the 7 Prc, 7RM, 270 Win and 300 WM. I want to get used to one caliber that can ideally take down most game up to elk and moose at 500 yards though more often than not I'd be dealing with Mississippi whitetail. I have every intention of reloading likely with Hornady Bkstp Interlock.

I am curious what rifle and caliber would be a good option below $1250 with tight grouping, the ones I've been looking at most are the Ruger American Go Wild and Ruger 197_ Model 77.

I am looking to purchase my first rifle within the next few years and I'm interested in the 7 Prc, 7RM, 270 Win and 300 WM. I want to get used to one caliber that can ideally take down most game up to elk and moose at 500 yards though more often than not I'd be dealing with Mississippi whitetail. I have every intention of reloading likely with Hornady Bkstp Interlock.

I am curious what rifle and caliber would be a good option below $1250 with tight grouping, the ones I've been looking at most are the Ruger American Go Wild and Ruger 197_ Model 77

I am curious what rifle and caliber would be a good option below $1250 with tight grouping, the ones I've been looking at most are the Ruger American Go Wild and Ruger 197_ Model 77.
For the money, can't go wrong with the Ruger American Go Wild. For a "do everything caliber", would recommend the .300 WM due to long range performance, versatility and ammunition availability.

JonVan

Bearcat
For the money, can't go wrong with the Ruger American Go Wild. For a "do everything caliber", would recommend the .300 WM due to long range performance, versatility and ammunition availability.
You did not see my previous message I already purchased an AR10 the Ruger Sfar.

Paul B

Hunter
I already gave my opinion when I quote Townsend Whelen when he he said, "The 30-06 is never a mistake." I'l stand by that come hell or high water. I did my first deer hunt when I was 11 years old. That was back in 1949. It wasn't until I was 16 that I started deer hunting on a yearly basis because my dad just wasn't interested. Most hunts early on were with tha 30-30 or 30-06. I also learned to handload my hunting ammo. Except for my last hunt being in 2019 due to a car wreck on Jan 2, 2020 I've hunted ever year with the exception of the four years while in the Air Force. Actually, I did manage to sneak in a deer hunt one year. probably 99% has been for deer with a few elk thrown in. I've shot deer or have seen deer shot with everything from the .243 to the several .300 magnums. From about 1975, probably 80 to 85% percent have been with Ruger #1s in various calibers. For elk one with a .300 Win. mag. one with the 30-06 and five with the .35 Whelen. All were one shot kills.
As for super long range shots, one Mule Deer at 426 paces with a .308 Win. and 150 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter. Year was 1973 as that was when I bought that .308, my first one. My longest ever shot was a cow elk at 530 yards laser measured. I won't go into the roughly three month practice session, two and three times a week prepping for that hunt. I'd hunted the area before and knew shots you be way out yonder. I did the same level of practice for my first and only antelope hunt only to be able to stalk close enough that the shot was roughly 75 Yards.
But the mainstay if most of my hunts has always been a 30-06 on one make of rifle or another.
I just turned 85 a few days back and have the strange notion to blow what little inheritance my kids might have on my #1 bucket list hunt and to hell with what the doctors have to say. It's something I've wanted to do ever since I saw "King Solomon's Mines" as a kid. I know what rifle I will take. One of my J C Higgins M50 Mausers in 30-06. Load will either be a 180 gr. Nosler Partition or 200 gr. Speer Hot Core or Nosler partition, whichever the rifle likes best. FWIW, the elk taken at 530 yards was shot with a 200 gr. Speer Hot Core. Nuff said?
Paul B.

Well, this started off with completely different wants and needs. Ended up with a medium size rifle weighted down with an overly large scope and other gadgets not needed for carrying a big game rifle on a deer or elk hunt. Whatever, good luck go get that elk at 1000 yards.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Some 'cartridges' are good at putting bullets close together at long ranges and some are better at killing big game at long ranges. A very few can manage BOTH. I used to have a 300 Win mag that was one of those BUT it weighed 11+# and not something most folks would/could carry long distances. Longest elk kill with that rifle was almost 550 yards. I don't recommend or endorse shooting at game that far out unless you're capable and experienced. I shot that rifle at targets up to 1000 yards a knew precisely where it's bullets would hit.
The 300 mag is one of those. I've taken 1 elk and two deer @ 450+ yards. Mine wasn't that heavy=the beforementioned S & W (Howa) with a B & C stock. The trick is that I use it for everything from ground squirrels to elk (I could only afford one rifle at the time!).

I do concur that for a "one-rifle" man, the good old '06 is likely the best around for versatility. Another candidate would be the 7x57 Mauser (275 Rigby=Karamojo Bell's favorite).

Paul B

Hunter
"Another candidate would be the 7x57 Mauser (275 Rigby=Karamojo Bell's favorite)."

I'm inclined to agree with you, especially when the cartridge is properly handloaded to its full potential. Currently I run a 150 gr. Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS from a Winchester M70 Featherweight using Rl17. Load shoot at MOA or better at 100 yards and would work just fine for my purposes. Still very iffy as to whether the hunt will come about.
Paul B.

JonVan

Bearcat
Ruger SFAR 20" with Arken Optics SH4, FAB Defence for grip/Bipod and Ozark Armaments offset iron sights.

IMG_20230825_183348714.jpg
IMG_20230825_183335830.jpg
IMG_20230825_183325568.jpg
IMG_20230825_183307324_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230825_183243710_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230825_181107634.jpg

Thats a silly looking 1000 yd elk rifle but a great looking Self Defense rifle. Double check to see if the 178 gr VLD ammo will fit into the magazine. It might, I just don't know for sure. If not the rifle might still fire it single shot. The length is a problem in AR15s shooting the long VLDs I used a single shot adapter to shoot them at long range.

JonVan

Bearcat
178 Hornady Eld-x is great for this type of gun and it should be plenty for deer out to 600 yards. I just looked up VLD, it seems to be a top pick, but I think the Eld-x is the best of the 4 most common from reviews
great-long-range-hunting-bullets-1.jpg

Last edited:
Well because it's a good bullet still doesn't mean it will fit in the AR10 length mag. Unless you checked as I said, it may not fit in the mag. Overall length of the loaded round and max length a loaded round will function in the magazine is what you check. You will also find for big game hunting a 5 round magazine likely is required. Check states big game hunting laws.
Firing from the bench a 5 or even a 10 round magazine is easier, no need to fight a long mag rubbing the bench while you're aiming.