Need Help With Bearcat

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bearcat
Just been offered an early model Bearcat,the one with Rosewood grips has not had anythin done to it
man says it is almost mint.

He's asking $500 if it is in that shape will it be worth that??

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
1022, We need a bit more info . Bearcats were made from 1958 to 1970 and many different variations.
boxes and papers are a plus. Value run from $300 to $1500 . Serial number and good pics will help .
A mint, boxed Bearcat worth $500, Yes.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Back when they came out with them again I bought one in SS but really wanted an old one also. I bought one NIB for the price of what the new one costs. Of couse I have shot the old guy some. I just glance at these in gun stores now but isn't $500 about what a new one is?

pete44ru

Hunter
1022 said:
Just been offered an early model Bearcat,the one with Rosewood grips has not had anythin done to it
man says it is almost mint.

He's asking $500 if it is in that shape will it be worth that??

The early BC's were the only BC's that wore plain (no medallions) Rosewood grips from the factory.

img_4783.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

That BC could well be worth the money, but remember that one man's "minty" might be another man's "fair" - the "almost" minty description gives me caution about paying top dollar for it.

A better description would include how much original/factory-new condition remains, best expressed as a percentage (like: 90% original condition, .85%, 95%, etc, etc.)

chet15

Hawkeye
Right! It could be a 1-999 serial numbered gun (presumably 999 made. A nice extra premium.)
or an Alphabet gun (A001 through Z999...nearly 25,000 made)
or a 1000-1100 or 1130 to 1137 gun (big premium! 109 made)
or a 2000 to 35,350 gun (33,000+ made)
or a factory second with "S" suffix serial number (2 known)
or a factory second with "S" on the bottom of the frame (4 known)
or a "D" duplicate serial numbered gun (1 known).
So that's it in a nutshell....$500 to $1,500+
Chet15

mohavesam

Hawkeye
"Almost minty". As-in "almost pregnant".

Go instead with metal finish. Zero damage (nicks, scratches, no matter how small) and zero shine on edges is the only "minty" that matters. A little edge shine or even turn line on the cylinder and it drops fast. Ditto any firing evidence aside from factory firing, once you've seen a new gun you know what this looks like.

"Minty" Bearcats under $400 are getting as scarce as an Obama family bible, and a $500-600 "sock drawer gun" (in 95%+ w/box, etc.) is a grabitrightnow deal in my travels. IF that is what you're looking for of course.

....and those early 'non medallioned' guns were NOT 'rosewood', but of a synthetic resin/polymer material, Colt called theirs "coltwood' and I recall Rugers was called 'wonderwood'??? and only on the early bearcats, unlike the "hardened rubber" ( plastic) of the early revolvers......
so if the gun in question is the "early" one and is "minty" and of the serial number ranges Chad listed, yes it would be worth in the $500 range, especially if boxed etc, then even more...........