My GP100 44 arrived with 2 issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jules

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
I guess that's why they call you Pistolero!!! Some fine shooting and a good looking gun there.

The target above was test fired by Ruger and returned with the firearm. I assume Pistolero's is the same.

DPris said:
After getting the shooting done, I wanted to confirm the chamber throats on my sample.
What my caliper was showing as 434+ seemed ridiculously large.

Took the GP today to my gunsmith, turns out my caliper is better at outside measuring than inside.

He got:
430.5"
430.5"
430.5"
427.0"
428.5"
Denis

Question....is this the way the "gun industry" calls out diameters vs. .4305 inch like the rest
of the world does it?
What ever size they decide on is one thing, but that level of variation on what is likely a
reamed hole is really bad. .0035 over five holes is pretty sad!
I can get closer than that with a half worn out end mill and a clapped out Bridgeport!
Dave

NikA

Buckeye
I guess my question from here would be, "What is the new standard for throat size in Ruger .44 guns?" When I received my .44 GP, I went back and checked my Redhawks and found them to be .431-.432 versus the .433 for the GP. I was thinking that I would be able to use .432 bullets in all my .44 guns. If their new standard is tighter, I'm wondering if it might be better to ask them NOT to touch the throats so I don't have to size bullets differently. I do not yet own a SA .44, so I guess if things are different on that side anyway it might decide the issue for me.

Legionnaire

Single-Sixer
Just checked my GP. Electronic calipers, everything measured twice ...

Cylinder throats:

Lands: .416
Grooves: .429

That sound about right? If the throats are oversized, at least they're consistent.

DPris

Buckeye
Dave,
My error in placing the decimal, I was busy & mind elsewhere. :)

Talks with two Ruger product managers over the sight & chamber issues.

Sight has been addressed in production.
Acknowledged the chamber throat issue.

Said SAAMI spec is .4325".
We discussed the fact that Ruger's all over the map in throat dimensions between BH & GP, GP & GP, and even in one single gun (mine).

Besides my sample, I checked with two other writers who measured theirs & got a uniform .433" in one and .4305" in the other.

I'd personally like to see nothing larger than .430", but I don't know where Ruger'll end up with the final diameter selection.

They could not say what they'll standardize on, whether it'll be SAAMI or slightly tighter.
But, they WILL be making a decision & try to institute that decision in on-going production for the sake of consistency.
Denis

Calipers..... vernier, dial or electronic, mostly all suck for measuring small hole inside dimensions.
If you look at the outer jaw faces you will find a small "flat"....the smaller the hole the
farther away for actual diameter will be the indicated result. There are a few ways around this
requiring either math, custom ground jaw faces or a known standard id. near the size your're
trying to measure ( to use as calibration ).
You can use them as a method of ...comparing.... one hole to another. With skill, and quality
calipers, maybe be plus/minus .0015 range over similar sized holes with some consistency.
Better accuracy will require gauge pins or small bore inside micrometers.
In a production world using air gauge setups ( easier for unskilled QC people to
be consistent with ) a manufacture ought to be hitting .0001 to .0003 without much
problem. Real high precision work will add another zero after the decimal point.
The .0035 called out above ought to be a embarrassment to somebody
at Ruger.
Dave

gtxmonte

Buckeye
You know, I GUESS you could buy the throat differences as varying production lines not on the same page, but even that is a stretch, assuming they should all be working off the same print..........BUT the sight issue. That is plain ridiculous. I mean this is a gun factory and these people make and see guns every day. You would think ANY person in that plant could have seen the sight issue immediately and say "hey, we have a problem here". To let a single ONE out the door like that shows a sad state of affairs there

Nah....that air gap is on purpose, keeps the sight cool
so the little green plastic thingy don't melt.
Geez, you guy's need to keep up with modern firearms.
Dave

Boge

Single-Sixer
Calipers are next to useless for this type of measurement:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/08/measuring-chamber-throats-calipers-vs-pin-gages/

dad45

Single-Sixer
been watching all this and finally got around to checking my gp44 example and thought i would post the info for reference sake
gp.44, 4 throats at .434 and 1 at .433 using pin gages ( M2 minus with claimed accuracy of +.0000", -.0002" and checking with caliper seem correct)
for comparison i have two flat top bisleys and both wheels are at .431 for all twelve holes

i think all this has been found out already but thought i would add my example for comparison

by the way i have not yet been able to fire the gp but hope to soon

Big Old Boy

Hunter
After reading this thread I know I'll be getting one but will wait till this fall when the kinks are worked out.

Captain America said:
The big question is will collectors be paying a premium for the ultra rare, first run, large gap front sight versions of this gun in thirty years... :wink:

I don't know, that sounds like a pretty common feature. To be really
collectible you'll have to verify that no two of the cylinder throats
are the same size.
And I'd save those high precision calipers that were used to prove
it. The Chinese plastic ones are the best.
Dave

DPris

Buckeye
Mine has three throats that measure the same, so it'd never be collectible.
And my gunsmith's plastic Chinese caliper was back in Peking being re-calibrated, so he had to use his good steel one. :)
Denis