Most common 10-22 mods

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I have read over and over that 10-22's while of higher build quality than Marlin 60's, are not as accurate out of the box. Apparently, to make it more accurate, one must purchase a number of after market parts for it.

Well, I have no plans to modify my 10-22, but I am wondering- just what are the most common modifications that folks do in the name of greater accuracy?

JTGant

Bearcat
I would do some searches and READ a lot about this topic. Volumes have been submitted on it. Reading is good for the mind, and you you even learn something. Don't have others do the leg work..... do it yourself.
Take care

I have six 10/22's right now and have had at least that many that I have traded or sold. Depending on what the use is they all have been very accurate as they came from the factory. While I have put different barrels on some, I have upgraded the triggers in all but one. A good trigger helps you to utilize the accuracy of the rifle.
Just installing a Volquartsen hammer does wonders for the trigger.

m657

Buckeye
About 10 years ago I bought a target model 10/22. Other than a monster target scope, I didn't need anything to make it make tiny groups.

Then I went shooting with a buddy who was a bench rest fanatic. After spending the afternoon at the range trying it out, he insisted on rummaging around in his parts box, and came up with some other kind of trigger. Got to admit, it was smoother & less gritty....then he insisted on installing his spare Harris bipod.

So I've shot the thing infrequently for nearly a decade. Sterling accuracy but bulky and clumsy.

Caught the 'steel challenge' bug....did a reconfiguration that is working nicely: red dot scope and a Volq bolt release. Also polished up the bolt a bit.

Smooth, accurate, works so good as is, I'm going to buy another model for a different set up.

Got the 10/22FEVER. The BX25 magazines have contributed wonders as well.

CraigC

Hawkeye
There are a lot of opinions on this subject and it can be difficult to sift through all the diatribe. Especially from Marlin owners. Lots of folks saying that even though the Ruger costs twice as much as a model 60, you have to spend several hundred dollars to get it to shoot "just as good". I'm here to tell ya that it's a pile of BS. Once you spend "several hundred" on good aftermarket parts, you have a rifle that a Marlin can only dream of being. Put a cheap (~$100) barrel on a Ruger and it'll shoot like a Marlin. Which is a common mistake among many shooters. Put a good barrel from Clark, Shilen, KID or Lilja on it and it will shoot better and more consistently than many boltguns. Put a $40 Volquartsen hammer in it and it will have a crisp 2lb trigger. Or you can up the ante with a $300 KID two stage and have one of the finest triggers available anywhere, for any rifle. Or anywhere in between. Stuff Marlin owners can only envy.

For triggers, you can do no better than KID but the aforementioned VQ hammer is a great value. I also like to pack mine full of goodies from Power Custom, their extended bolt and mag releases are my favorites.

For barrels, skip the cheap stuff and get a good one. You don't need a heavy barrel to shoot tiny groups and for this, I like Clark's mid-weight. Shilen also offers a very good varmint profile.

mattsbox99

Hunter
There are many different ways to build them so I wouldn't think there is a 'most common' list.

My gopher 10/22 has a light weight barrel and stock with R/T guts. My target one has a 20" heavy barrel and heavy laminate stock with VQ guts. One of my Takedowns just has R/T guts and the other is being made into a suppressed SBR.

mattsbox99

Hunter
There are many different ways to build them so I wouldn't think there is a 'most common' list.

My gopher 10/22 has a light weight barrel and stock with R/T guts. My target one has a 20" heavy barrel and heavy laminate stock with VQ guts. One of my Takedowns just has R/T guts and the other is being made into a suppressed SBR.

mattsbox99

Hunter