MOBLE 5W30 OIL TO LUBE YOUR 10/22 TAKEDOWN RIFLE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Bob R said:
If I were a betting man, my money would be on the bet that most commercial Gun Oils are either marketed for some other use and repackaged as Gun Oil, or are a blend of readily available products like motor oil and ATF.

Hi,

Methinks that would be a reasonbably safe bet! As I said before, I'd not be surprised if they fill the 3in1 cans from the barrel first... ;)

I use a fair amount of Ed's Red (homebrewed cleaning solvent) for my cleaning purposes. Ed Harris, who introduced us to the stuff years ago, used four or five ingredients (equal parts ATF, kerosene, mineral spirits and acetone, with or without some lanolin.) I remember one of his articles where he suggested mixing the ATF and kerosene first, and setting a small amount aside for lubrication purposes. He suggested there was probably no commercial gun oil that was much better...

Last time I mixed up some ER, I did just that. So far I've tried it on a couple of guns, a fishing reel, and a couple of other relatively small mechanisms, the kinds of items where you need so little you dip the end of a toothpick in the stuff, dab it on and wipe off the excess. Ed may well be right!

Rick C

edlmann

Blackhawk
hogan said:
. . . his idea of cleaning was to drop a nail and string down the barrel and pull an oiled rag.
Guess his method was the predecessor of the bore snake :mrgreen:

Used to use a straightened coat hanger, a wad of toilet paper, and penetrating oil to clean shotgun bores.

muzzleloader

Single-Sixer
I guess if the zombie apocalypse comes I'll use whatever I can bleed out of a car, but for now I'll keep using FP10 and CLP and RIG, they don't cost that much. Of course if I were keeping a bunch of rental guns perking along, something in a gallon jug might interest me.

toysoldier

Hunter
What is it about human nature that makes us think that something we mix up will be better than a product from a company that employs chemists and uses sophisticated equipment to test coefficient of friction, performance under various climatic conditions, and deterioration from heat and age?

PebblePimp

Bearcat
Here's what I've been taught my entire life, use the right lubricant for the job. It works better than anything else. Gun oil & machine oil (3-in-1) are light oils that are designed to seep in small, tight-fitting moving parts at ambient & working temperature. Motor oil is designed to be forced into tight moving parts at higher operating temperatures. It's not the right tool for the job.

That said, I have used motor oil a few times in a pinch for various reasons. It won't hurt anything, at all. The worst thing is it MAY act "gummy" in cold temps due to it's viscosity. I like RemOil for wipe down & between hunting days to "decrud" & remove fingerprints. I like gun grease on my choke threads & some internals. But, I mostly use Hoppe's Synthetic or SigOil as my general use stuff. I have some Lucas & it gets used very little. Too thick for general lube, but is handy to have. I like it for new parts.

PebblePimp

Bearcat
toysoldier said:
What is it about human nature that makes us think that something we mix up will be better than a product from a company that employs chemists and uses sophisticated equipment to test coefficient of friction, performance under various climatic conditions, and deterioration from heat and age?

+1

grayelky

Bearcat
I use Dexron II in my personal guns and in my store for the past 6 years. I am very content with it. This is why I use it:
http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html
Before you dismiss the thought, I suggest you read what Mr. Cunningham had to say, and see what others have had to say about him.

JD2

Bearcat
For gun oil I use Mobile 1 full synthetic, and for gun grease I use Mobile 1 full synthetic wheel bearing grease. I'm an engineer, and I do know my way around lubricants. Over the years I have tried literally hundreds of gun lubricants, and these two work as well as any of them, and better than most. Mobile 1 oil is attracted to and clings to metal better than anything I have found, and since it is synthetic, it works over a wide range of temperatures and is made to work even in the presence of carbon and other typical contaminants (all of which are found in engines too....). Mobile 1 full synthetic grease works better than any other grease I have found, and works well in all temperatures, is "stringy" and clings tenaciously to metal.

You can use whatever you want, but do note that almost all gun lubricants sold are actually made for other applications and only "marketed" as a gun lubricant. They were not designed as a "gun" lubricant; somebody decided that they could make money selling it to firearms owners who typically will pay an arm and leg for anything that a marketing company can convince them is better..... Get the MSDS sheet for some of your favorite lubes (the manufacturer is required by law to furnish this if you request it...) and you will be surprised at what you are really using for your miracle lube.......

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Good post JD2 but there will still be some non believers. If they want to spend 10x or more the money for what is the same stuff a lot of the times and like you said , just relabeled , then more power to em I guess. Goes to show everyone how effective advertising is...

PebblePimp

Bearcat
I would like to see proof that gun oil is "relabeled". From the last 20 years I have been in either the automotive or the gas & oil industry. I've been around a lot of lubricants. I can tell you, ATF is a low viscosity hydraulic fluid & not a lubricant. It has some lubrcating properties. I'm willing to bet money gun oil is designed & refined for guns. While it may little more than specialized 3-in-1 oil, it does have all the properties needed for firearms (lubrication, penetration, heat resistance, & corrosion inhibiting). Oil companies refine A LOT of different types of oils. Many different subtypes of the same type. It's not hard for them to refine crude to a specialized gun oil. Education beats advertising & opinions every time.

JD2

Bearcat
PebblePimp,

If you think your favorite gun oil is specially made for firearms, simply ask the manufacturer to provide you with the MSDS for the product and you will be able to see exactly what your "miracle" lube is made of. Economies of scale really prevent a refiner from producing even a 1000 gallon lot of a a specialty oil. Virtually all gun oils are either re-mixed or simply re-labeled existing products....... Of course, you might not believe me, but then get the MSDS and see for yourself....

PebblePimp

Bearcat
Hold up, you're claiming that gun oil is relabeled something-or-other; but, you don't have proof or can verify what it's relabeled from? I have to get the MSDS for your unfounded claim? Seems to be unresearched accusations to me. But, I did. Gun oil has COMPLETELY DIFFERENT chemical makeup than 3-in-1 oil. And motor oil. And ATF. Hmmm... Haven't found anything that gun oil is relabeled from yet. Sounds like somebody is just talking out their butt & thinks they understand chemistry more than chemists. That how I'm taking it.

JD2

Bearcat
PebblePimp,

You can take my comments as you like.... Apparently, an engineering degree and 35 years in the industry means nothing to you. Fine, continue on thinking anything you like, some of us do actually know the truth........

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

All that's been said on the subject of gun oil wars having being repeated ad infinitum, I AM curious about one thing: what did John Moses Browning use on his original 1911s and BARs? ;)

Rick C

trapperon

Blackhawk
Rick

Furthermore--What did J M Browning use on his 1885 single shot??!! Probably not a lot of selection back then. Bottom line is ANY oil is better than NO oil!!

Ron

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I don't use anything on any of my guns that is going to collect grit or thicken up in cold weather. That leaves out any kind of motor oil or grease. I use Hornady One Shot. Here's why:

http://ronkulas.proboards.com/thread/274/review-comparison-gun-care-products

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
toysoldier said:

Hi,

Ya mean like ExxonMobil labs? ;)

I know what you're saying and am just teasing (a little), but look at the parameters you mentioned, then tell me what kind of mechanism that product's to be used on! Looks like a lot of overlap possibilities exist, no?

Rick C

PebblePimp

Bearcat
JD2 said:
PebblePimp,

You can take my comments as you like.... Apparently, an engineering degree and 35 years in the industry means nothing to you. Fine, continue on thinking anything you like, some of us do actually know the truth........

So, your only proof is "I'm an engineer"? Not a mechanical, electrical, chemical, petroleum, or civil engineer; just an engineer? Not a chemist, either? I know a lot of engineers. My dad & several uncles are engineers. One is a petroleum engineer & another is a chemical engineer, in a refinery too. So, no. An engineering degree does not make you right or smarter than people that are actually educated in that field. In fact, I'm just going to call everything you say BS. You have not provided one shred of evidence to your original claim. Hell, I'll call you a bald-faced liar on all accounts.