MkIV (as we know it) Change Coming ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam said:
Seems another 22 pistol maker has made Ruger an offer they couldn't refuse for (some of) the patent rights. Oh well, That's business!
If the marketing limprichards can't match the projected revenue made during the "panic years" I guess they'll sell bits of the company soul to meet financial/bonus goals?
Maybe, maybe not - if you like the MkIV it be wise to buy one now. :oops: My guess is...
Is there a 'name' associated with that ' other.22 pistol maker'?

Smith brought out the Victory that is very easy to take down compared to the Ruger I, II, and III. (for those that have problems with the latter). Many shooters, especially new shooters don't read the manual thus having problems with the old style Rugers.

I am sure the MK 1V has been in the works probably even before the Victory was introduced. I think they have done a great job with the MK IV by simplifying without making it ugly.

I have the MK450 and eventually will get a MK IV. I also have a S&W Victory that's serves for a different purpose than I use my Ruger for.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
Leucoandro said:
One where I do not need to switch out various Volquartsen parts designed for the MKII to mirror the smoother trigger of a factory MKII.
The VQ trigger kit results in an infinitely better trigger than any factory MKII.

I'm referring to the trick of installing the VQ MK II hammer into a MK III to produce a trigger pull similar to that of the MK II. Yes the accurizing or competition kit will produce a better trigger, but my point was with the MKIII you had to buy the pistol and the VQ hammer to replicate the trigger quality that came on a stock MK II.

Charlie

CraigC

Hawkeye
Gotcha. ;)

I'm admittedly biased towards the MKIII's strictly because of the 22/45 "RP" model. I've had MKI's and MKII's but never could get along with the grip angle and the MKII 22/45's were just too narrow and slick. So it's worth it to me to do a little parts swapping. If I liked the standard grip frame, I'd probably be stuck on MKII's too.

IMG_7256b.jpg

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Starting to see the Mark IV get unavailable, get yours today before they turn back to the last design. JMO.

Rumrunner is correct - the MarkIV was in the works for a couple years prior to the release of the Victory 22, with a few different approaches attempted.

I suspect the Ruger design will revert to a cam-lock front arrangement tried previously, instead of the cheaper-to-produce hinge pin, and keep the rear locking stud, and otherwise resembling the MkIII changes. This makes manufacturing sense once they transfer the Mark IV patents, but who knows? Machining the one-pc frame is established (soon a supplied part) and would be costly to revert to welding and polishing.

If I were king, I'd look into buying Dino Longuiera's patents as they are not yet consumed by S&W, and would make for a fine MK3.5, et al. :lol:

chet15

Hawkeye
If I remember correctly, Ruger's transfer bar setup was licensed to United Sporting Arms.
That didn't affect Ruger in the least.
If true I would be curious to know what patent they leased on the MKIV...the barrel hinge, or the pushbutton takedown?
Chet15

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
chet15 said:
If I remember correctly, Ruger's transfer bar setup was licensed to United Sporting Arms.
That didn't affect Ruger in the least.

Hi,

A buddy recently bought a Charter Arms Bulldog to replace one he regrets selling years ago. It has a remarkably "Ruger-like" transfer bar. I don't know if it was he who told me or something I read, that Ruger had "cooperated" with the design of that gun. Sounds like "cooperation" and "licensing deal" could mean the same thing?

Rick C

5Wire

Single-Sixer
My MK IV fired out of battery. Partway through a magazine when the gun discharged before the cartridge was fully in the chamber, bullet went downrange. The cartridge rim separated almost completely from the rest of the case. Back to Ruger, bolt replaced.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
Yesterday, 6/6/2017 I ordered some Ruger Mark magazines and a few guns from Davidson's. After the order was placed with the guy I normally deal with, I asked about the alleged stock pull of ALL the Ruger Mark IV pistols. He verified the story, but when he asked his boss about what's going on, his boss clammed up and said they are only doing what Ruger requested.

So, at this point, speculation is about all we have. Maybe they're working on introducing a Mark V version? :roll:

RPM Enterprises

Buckeye
D A Wood said:
Yesterday, 6/6/2017 I ordered some Ruger Mark magazines and a few guns from Davidson's. After the order was placed with the guy I normally deal with, I asked about the alleged stock pull of ALL the Ruger Mark IV pistols. He verified the story, but when he asked his boss about what's going on, his boss clammed up and said they are only doing what Ruger requested.

So, at this point, speculation is about all we have. Maybe they're working on introducing a Mark V version? :roll:
Alot of dealers still have them on the shelf. So I don't think it is a safety issue but all our distributors​ don't know or are staying very tight lipped about it.

wizzard

Bearcat
pharmer said:
Jeepnik said:
Years back a company made some pistols that were pretty much Ruger MKI's. Ruger sued and the manufacturer went under. .

AMT, who made the "Lightning" was going under, without the Ruger suit. Joe

I have an AMT Lightning. Yes, its basically a Ruger. It's stainless, has a 10" barrel and shoots amazingly well. I am told by some, but never bothered to verify, that it was this gun that got ruger to realize they should be making the MKII (at the time) not only in stainless but with longer barrels. Again, that's what "they" said. So... if Ruger has sold some rights to some company to produce a "MK knockoff", I'm actually excited to see what interesting twist they come up with. Remember, if it's not what you want, you don't have to buy it.